Should've, would've, could'ves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Who are rock's biggest wastes of talent? The should've, would've, could'ves, in other words. The ones who had great talent, but never found the proper artistic avenue for that talent.

My choice would be Eddie Van Halen. This guy should've been electric guitar's second coming (After Hendrix of course). Instead, he got trapped in a band with two crap singers. One (Roth) who could only sing and write about partying. The other (Hagar) who had lame notions of 'adult' themes as his modus operandi. Eddie rocked on that guitar and keyboard at times, but many lesser skilled guitarists passed him by because they found themes to make their guitar style become more than just guitar playing. Eddie never did.

Nick McCabe. 3 records w/ The Verve was not enough.

John Squire. 3 records since 1989(2 Roses and Seahorses?)

Andy Sturmer(Singer, songwriter, drummer for Jellyfish). 2 of the best albums in rock history, then nothing for 12 yrs now.

Elliot Smith and Kurt Cobain. Complete wastes in more than musical terms.

Last edited:
Layton said:
Who are rock's biggest wastes of talent? The should've, would've, could'ves, in other words. The ones who had great talent, but never found the proper artistic avenue for that talent.

My choice would be Eddie Van Halen. This guy should've been electric guitar's second coming (After Hendrix of course). Instead, he got trapped in a band with two crap singers. One (Roth) who could only sing and write about partying. The other (Hagar) who had lame notions of 'adult' themes as his modus operandi. Eddie rocked on that guitar and keyboard at times, but many lesser skilled guitarists passed him by because they found themes to make their guitar style become more than just guitar playing. Eddie never did.

Eddie is the man regardless of what band he was playing in. What serious guitarist has never heard "Eruption" or "Spanish Fly"?

I don't think he is a waste - that is, if you don't count their latest reunion tour in which Eddie invariably played so wasted he sometimes missed the entire guitar neck not just notes.

Still Eddie is a huge influence on a lot of guitarists. :rockon:

blueeyedgirl said:

Absolutely. I had tickets to see them on their tour this year but I couldn't make it. Not that I'm all that bothered since they didn't get terribly good reviews. Their album is just fantastic though -- it'll be amazing if the reports that they're recording another are true.

I saw them play in 1990. They were great live, but what I really remember is how grumpy ol'Lee was on stage. I didn't know then he was on the smack....:sad:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Pete. :sad: How do you go from writing Music When the Lights Go Out or The Man Who Would be King to writing the ode to a crack pipe that is Pipe Down?

Agreed. :sigh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Gregg Alexander from New Radicals fame...

A true talent, that gave it up because he "got too big".:|

I actually have a fair amount of respect for that. Obviously "big" wasn't a good fit for him and it was a conscious decision on his part to back off. I think of that as a success story not as a failure.

Some interesting choices so far.

Agree with Blueeyedgirl on the LA's and agree also with MrBrau in relation to John Squire's post-Roses career, with the proviso that what he did with the band was so amazing that it will stand the test of time.

In relation to Eddie Van H, well in fairness to Van Halen I always thought they were very good at what they did.

In relation to Justine Frischman, well from what I have read an intelligent person but not necessarily musically talented. Of course heroin hit her band hard but even if that hadn't happened I am not convinced they would ever have hit greatness.

Just thought of another one: Kevin Shields, ex-My Bloody Valentine. After their highly acclaimed early albums, singlehandedly inventing the 'shoe-gazer' genre and pretty much being the main muscial influence on Achtung Baby, dear old Kev bought a big house in London and pretty much stayed there for over a decade, only emerging occasionally to write the odd film score. Nevertheless, a bona fide genius.

And last but not least Syd Barrett. :(

Last edited:
indra said:

I actually have a fair amount of respect for that. Obviously "big" wasn't a good fit for him and it was a conscious decision on his part to back off. I think of that as a success story not as a failure.

I agree to a certain extent, but I miss the idea that he could have made more music.

It's actually a wierd story he "resigned" 5 days before his second single was supposed to be released. I don't even think they did a tour yet. The guy got his first contract at 16, but never got an album released until age 22. Then when he did, called it quits. It's sad, but I understand.

There are several artists who have made music under the radar with success.

I know he's producing, but it's not the same.

#1bonofan said:

And sorry to those that like them but... I hate System of A Down

:sad:

Actually, I can understand your point ... :applaud:
some of their songs belong in the trash, but others are real GOOD !! :up:
I absolutely love most of the songs off Mezmerize, but I cannot stand the Toxicity album !! Hopefully, their sequel album Hypnotize will be just as good as Mezmerize !! :wink:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Should've, would've, could'ves

BrownEyedBoy said:

Eddie is the man regardless of what band he was playing in. What serious guitarist has never heard "Eruption" or "Spanish Fly"?

I don't think he is a waste - that is, if you don't count their latest reunion tour in which Eddie invariably played so wasted he sometimes missed the entire guitar neck not just notes.

Still Eddie is a huge influence on a lot of guitarists. :rockon:

I don't think Eddie is a waste, either. I guess I'm just saying that he could've been so much more. He had the talent to be Hendrix's peer, but his band's songwriting was so mediocre that he rarely got a chance to put all that talent to a great theme. I suppose Eddie has to take his fair share of responsibility for all that average songwriting, but I just wonder what we'd think of him now if he had a great partnership like say Jagger/Richards, Bono/Edge, etc.

Back
Top Bottom