Should MAYHEM Be Allowed To Perform In Singapore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunbury

Refugee
Kor Kian Beng of Singapore's The Electric New Paper is reporting that a local record label is trying to get Norwegian black metallers MAYHEM to perform in Singapore on February 5. The record company has already applied for the license.

The Media Development Authority (MDA) confirmed that it has received an application from Mindseye Records.

It hasn't been approved yet, said Ms Koh June May, MDA's senior manager for corporate and marketing communication.

But should the concert be allowed to be held in Singapore?

No, said Mr Mohd Khalid, a reader, who tipped off The Electric New Paper about the planned gig.

He said he had seen posters, which advertised MAYHEM's planned gig, in Peninsula Shopping Centre.

When asked about this, Ms Koh said: "We advise against pre-publicity for any event that has yet to be approved."

Mr Asrafi Asat, project coordinator of Mindseye Records, confirmed that his company is planning the gig after booking agent Subash Nair approached him six weeks ago.

He said they have booked a hall at Far East Square and are expecting a 500-strong crowd if it's approved.

Tickets have neither been printed nor sold yet, he said.

Mr Asrafi said: "We're inviting the band here because of their professionalism, high-level playing skills and songwriting ability.

"The music's dark because of the genre but it doesn't advocate Satanism. The group doesn't promote violent acts nor performs acts of nudity."

The Singapore leg is scheduled to be part of MAYHEM's Asian Legions Tour. The band will also perform in Bangkok, Jakarta and Taipei.

Mr Subash, who said he was 37 and a businessman, declined to meet The New Paper saying that he's "low-profile."

At first, he denied that he had put up the posters. But soon he admitted that he had put up "a few, around 50."

He explained: "Yes, I haven't received the license, but it shouldn't be a problem considering that a band like SLIPKNOT was allowed to perform here."

SLIPKNOT performed in Singapore in mid-August.

Deejay and music columnist Chris Ho describes SLIPKNOT as an extreme metal band, whose concert here was a "big step forward for Singapore."

But Mr Subash insisted that the concerns over MAYHEM's image and genre are not valid. "The past is the past. The band is made up of new members now.

"Most of the old members are dead already."

But the band's official website showed that the four existing members had been with the band before.

One of them — Jorn Stubberud (Necrobutcher) — was one of three founding members.

Said Mr Subash: "If it's approved, we'll think of possible measures to ensure crowd safety at the gig."

"The music's dark because of the genre but it doesn't advocate Satanism. The group doesn't promote violent acts nor performs acts of nudity."

Weren't they burning down churches about 10 years ago?
But whatever, sure let them play in my opinion. :wink:

I prefer that no metal bands play anywhere, but that's just me. :wink:

If they are not breaking any laws, then sure, let them perform. But I believe Singapore is very strict with many things, so I don't know how it will turn out...

Back
Top Bottom