Should I wax my eyebrows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I wax my eyebrows???

• Yes! Real women wax their eyebrows

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • No, they are fine the way they are, you are paranoid

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
All my life I have done absolutely NOTHING with my eyebrows. I have started to notice lately that EVERYONE (female) waxes their eyebrows into these typical thin, archy shapes.

I am starting to get a serious cave woman complex. :(

Should I cave and get them waxed? Would I look better? Or should I leave them well enough alone. The last thing I need is more hassle and upkeep, and they aren't horrendous eyebrows exactly, they are kind of semi-circular, but certainly not archy.

The reason I am suddenly so concerned is that today I discovered that EVEN GUACA/WHACKA just came home with waxed brows. She was the anti makeup and maintenance queen until today, and one of the few reasons I was holding out. She caved to peer pressure. Now I am starting to worry. Any advice?

P.S. for those of you who don't know what I look like, this is the closest closeup I could get. Sorry it's so big.

Attachments

• eyebrows.jpg
    eyebrows.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
I would wax them vs plucking. I've had mine waxed every 3 weeks for I don't know how long. It's quick, inexpensive, and I don't think it hurts at all. I think it's worth it to have a professional keep my eyebrows shaped over me trying to shape them myself.

Don't do it..don't buckle....;)

Seriously, I turn 40 this year, and up to a few months ago, never touched my eyebrows...never plucked, never shaped, nothing...compared to everyone else, I think I did look a little monsterous but that is me..and I dont wear makeup - not even mascara..just one of those things.

But hairdresser, work colleagues, friends, everyone says just go and do it - you'll look so much better..and eventually you get tired of hearing it so you do it..and I did..and I go back to get them done...doesnt cost much and it certainly is easy having someone else do it that's for sure.

Today I needed a pick-me-up, so I had them done...and I even bought me some makeup - GASP!!!! what is this world coming to..if only I could figure out how to put the stuff on..Id be doing all right...

Jess, I think you already have a natural curve to yoru brow, and I wouldnt do it...I think they look perfectly fine...not too thick and natural..but what do I know...:)

I have seriously VERY bad eyebrows, so I have to pluck them or I'd have eyebrow over half my face. :( :reject: I'm scared of waxing because I'm afraid they'd make my eyebrows too thin or that it would rip my skin off since I have sensitive skin.

adamswildhoney said:
Nah I would leave them alone or if you must, pluck them.

I agree. I never do anything with my eyebrows either. I'd say just leave them alone unless they bother you or if you have bad eyebrows, or just pluck them every now and then for stray hairs, but I think yours look just fine Jess.

I actually prefer the natural look to the fine thin line eyebrows that have been plucked and/or waxed and look like they were just drawn on or something :shrug:

what a lot of people do is get them waxed by a professional and then just pluck out the strays when they begin growing in. If you find a good esthtician and mention that this is your first time, etc. they shouldn't make them too thin. Again, if you don't like it, you can always let them grow in again (BTW - I've heard that if you put Rogaine on a q-tip and rub it on your eyebrows it makes them grow in faster :shrug:)

I've personally never had them waxed because a lot of my eyebrow hairs are blond and I know that I've plucked out a few blond ones and they've gwon in brown :huh: So I pluck, just enough to keep them neat looking (although my eyebrows are pretty sparse as it is). Someone once told me that eyebrows are the most important part of your face. They can take the emphasis off your face shape, emphasize your eyes, etc.

In the end, I can't see the pic, but as far as I remember, your eyebrows looked fine! Really! You're gorgeus! :cute:

But if you really want to try it, I would suggest waxing, at least the first time. Or have an experienced 'plucker' pluck them for you.

I've found that waxing or plucking your eyebrows will open up your eyes a little more. I never had anyone say a word about my eyes until I started to have them shaped a bit and now I get compliments that I have nice eyes :D

You can work with the person who is doing your wax and let them know what you want to not make them too thin or have too much of an arch.

i always get compliments on my eyes when i get my brows waxed. i feel i look 10x's better with them waxed and shaped esp when i wear my glasses. my eyes are small as it is so by shaping them by waxing them it opens up the area around my eyes. i just like the finished and polished look, but that is me. i am very girly on these type of things. :flirt: i love being pampered and having my hair done. i however wear very little makeup but i do like having little things such as a new hairstyle and my brows waxed. :)

i do have certain people i see to have my brows done. i don't like them waxed to the point that i have a thin arch, so the ones that i do see know how to properly wax my brows the way i want and that is to show the natural arch that i already have.

Last edited:
If you decide to do it, do it for yourself, not because of peer pressure. You already have really nice eyebrows but what can it hurt to try it once if you really want to do it?

Don't make a drastic change, just have them shaped a bit and if you don't like it, let them grow back.

Hey jess...did you get the Ferrari?
You are a naturally beautiful woman, but if you feel the need for a change, do it.
My advice to all you beautiful young women, from where I sit, age 42, a victim of the harsh Australian climate.
Enjoy what you have now for free, your hair colour, your smooth clear skin, your taut bits. I want to stay looking OK a bit longer yet....and here comes the expense.
I had not had any "beauty " treatments till last year. My hub thought he was doing the right thing buying a voucher book from the church. That led to me having my hair cut and streaked my eybrows waxed...and I LOVED it!! live styles of the rich and famous. I find the salon a very pleasant place( hopefully you have more friends and don't NEED to talk to a hairdresser) I want to go there more often, but the $$$$$. I can't. Hub is becoming a dab hand at rubbing the dye thru my hair...(I had to laugh at him commenting on the ease of a new product, quite the expert...except I found out later he was quoting Homer Simpson)He doesn't know I bought a streaking cap the other day. He has to learn to use that next!!

You know what else makes me laugh? ME!! using the quick reply option here...I don't know how to do a quick reply!!
your original Q...I like wax, it doesn't hurt, it ZINGS!!! whooshka!! I'm alive!!

and before I go..i have wanted to share the birthday card my sister gave me the other day
on the front a furry creature leaning down to a burrow
"I didn't know what to get you for your birthday, so I asked the GREAT WEEVIL. He said : "A Sports Car"
Then I asked ther Little Weevil, and he said: A birthday card

...naturally, I chose the lesser of two weevils"

:)
the ballad of Lucy Jordan..I'm going to Paris, I'm getting me a sports car...............

You are a beautiful woman already. see my quote

I think your eyebrows look fine, but if you're self-concious about it then get them shaped. I agree with everyone else that it's probably a good idea to have them done by a professional (of even a friend who has nice eyebrows) to get them done the first time. I'm a very low maintainance girl myself, I almost never wear makeup, but I have been plucking my eyebrows since I was about 12. I have A LOT of eyebrows and they are very dark even though I have blonde hair. Getting your eyebrows done really is an easy way to make yourself look a more polished look.

You're so pretty already, I don't think you need to, but if it's something you want to do, go ahead.

I've personally never really wanted to do anything to mine...you know those old 30's movies, where you can tell the actress' entire eyebrow has been ripped out and they've painted some on? I'm always afraid I'll end up looking like that.

:reject:

wax them! eyebrows look better imo when they've got some structure to them. i keep mine at a very fine line between thin and thick. they look quite perfect if you ask me. :wink:

the upkeep is not bad at all. i get mine waxed like once a month, and my hairs grow in fast. maintaining by plucking wouldn't be a bad thing either. you'll maintain their shape but it'll be a lot cheaper for you in the long run.

I wanted to vote Oh My God no! No! No! No! You are so beautiful and perfect and I know this to be true because I've seen you in person and no! What are you thinking!!!!!???? but that wasn't an option, so I voted no.

I'm not joking, either. Jess, you are gorgeous!!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with anything on your face.

Pbbbfft...it doesn't matter if I wax or not...he still loves my eyes and I will always have my Dad's arch to the brow...(however I will not let them grow together)...
So.....let's have some fun and see if anyone really notices it....... all of us......> wax them in a nice high arch so we always look...::suprised::...eh?

if i dont wax my eyebrows or pluck them i'll end up looking like that Helga chick on Hey Arnold.

Wow! Thank you all for weighing in on this so far....and also for the very lovely compliments! :hug:

The poll is exactly 50/50, so this won't be easy!

I think if I do anything I may just get a tiny bit on underside taken out via waxing by a professional...nothing too drastic, and then it can grow in again...but I am worried it won't grow in properly that's all.....

But I'm still deliberating. I don't know why I'm so worried about this right now, I just started to worry about it a month or so ago. I'll let you know if I actually go through with it.

WAX!! I I've been getting mine done for about a year now and I don't know what I did before. If you go to a good estitician they should be able to show you exactly what they will remove before they actually wax. If you are that nervous, bring white eyeliner with you to mark the hairs you want removed. Trust me, you'll feel great after you have it done. I always feel better after I wax my brows. It's fast and inexpenisve. Trust me, you'll love it.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I pluck mine and, oddly enough, get compliments on them all the time.

Same here...which really surprises me!

Jess, your eyebrows don't even look bad...if you want to do a little grooming through, you could probably get by with some minor tweezing. A pair of tweezers is also a lot cheaper than paying everytime you get them waxed.

Back again:)
50/50? I think wax, in the salon, by the beautician
is leading by now?
I wanted to mention a TV show I have been thoroughly enjoying( u came here to talk TV , now didn't ya?)It was the last episode last night :( fascinating show..."The Frontier House". Three American families went and lived in Montana "the outback" as close to the lifestyle of homesteaders in 18...something? , the late 1800's. The thing most of the females tried hardest to smuggle in was tweezers for their eyebrows. The gorgeous Nate Brookes:heart: had his fiance join in him and they had a wedding :heart: she was doing close -ups of her "regrowth" for all the world to see. It REALLY bothered her.
It was a great show..imho, worthwhile. It was fascinating how much the family from Malibu behaved and what they learned.

Anyway,...can I tell another one? about wax?..no I shouldn't...but I will..... it's not just women who wax. My son, was living with a pro footballer who waxes his bits ( chest, I'm not sure what else) rang and asked how to unblock the shower drain.Hairy beast!Now he is in Sydney I think he has it professionally done. I'm not sure if it an expectation of the club...or he just likes it.

Be brave jess...as MVD said, it grows back.
I actually use wax strips at home when I am broke. They are good and don't hurt, but it is much better to go to a salon.

Another story.....quite a few ppl here don't have mains electricity to their houses. I was once at a ladies lunch at a house with electricity and one woman arrived , plugged in her electric wax melting device and waxed her entire legs...FASCINATING! but not what I expected. She had an arrangement with the home owner apparently. She didn't flinch, so I figured it musn't hurt as much as I had imagined......funny memory.

do it:yes:

When I started to pluck my dark brows ages ago I did it gradually so they all wouldn't come to the surface at the same time, a personal nightmare. You've got to keep up with it if you're going to pluck, I take a few seconds out of most mornings to check for any heinous sprouts, and that keeps them looking nice. It's free, too. But I'm sure waxing is nice for those with the $ to do it.

Back
Top Bottom