should I take a semester off to travel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauren430

Refugee
I would love some different opinions on this matter and I know there are quite a few Australians on here!

I have become obsessed with going to Oz and NZ ever since coming back from Europe last summer..I guess hanging out with so many Australians got to me. And I've decided I'm going to study in Tokyo next year, spring of 2006. I thought about studying in NZ or Oz but there's no guarantee the credits would transfer and I can't take that risk and possibly get screwed. I realized if I had 2, probably 3 months, I could see a great deal and feel "satisfied" with "doing" Oz/NZ, in case I never get back. And I'm obsessed with "doing" that area of the world (SE Asia, Oz/NZ) since I'd be in Tokyo afterwards anyway.

So this would mean that I'd go to Oz and NZ in Oct. or Nov. and travel around until heading to Tokyo in January. That's all well and good, but that would mean a semester off of school (law school), because they will not budge about things and I wouldn't be able to take exams and finish until mid December. And I'm selfish and 2-3 weeks isn't enough time to do those two countries.... I could go after Tokyo but that'd be during their fall/winter, and I'd rather go when it's summer there...I'm getting certified to scuba dive and I want to swim and scuba a lot while I'm there and even though I know it's not too terribly cold during the winter I still think it would be too cold to spend a lot of time in the water? (or any time); heck I normally don't swim in the US unless it's 85 F...

My potential plan would be go study in Argentina this summer for 5 weeks (another long story), then come back and work my ass off from July-October to get as much $$ as possible, then take off for all this.

The major thing holding me back is what a lot of people are saying: taking a semester off and then being in Tokyo, I'll be gone a whole year and "miss things" here at school. It's really hard to make friends and I don't have too many close ones here at school and I'd like to graduate law school having a few close friends but that might be hard to do taking off for a year and then coming back for only one more year. Plus I'd have to take more classes next summer and a heavy load every other semester to graduate on time. Overall, my family says Argentina and Tokyo is enough to get excited about.

But the other, carefree part of me is like: I am 21, graduated college in 3 years and have SO MUCH TIME to get out and start practicing law. And even if I graduate a little late, who cares? When I get out, I'll have to get a real job, start paying off tons of loans, and might never again have 2-3 months to backpack around foreign countries. I know I wouldn't regret taking the semester off and going, but years down the road will I look back and say, wow I should've made some friends and not always done my own thing and gone travelling to meet tons of people but most of whom I don't stay in touch with?? I seem to have become so obsessed with travel it's like the real world/real people who are right here don't seem as important anymore and I think that's dangerous... And I really could regret that mindset down the road if I'm all alone; memories of trips are great but one needs close friends...am I removing myself from reality and caught up too much in travelling?

Ok, I will stop. This is too long. Thanks in advance for reading all this; I usually don't like to talk this much about myself on here but need some different opinions besides my family and friends.

Potential options:

1) Take fall semester off and do Oz and NZ, then go to Tokyo

2) school fall semester, Tokyo spring, and save Oz and NZ until later in life

3) school fall semester, Tokyo, then Oz and NZ in the summer (their fall/winter)

4) Something else?

Australians: do people swim and dive in the winter? It honestly seems like it would be too cold...

Take a semester off and travel while you are still single and childless.

As for swimming in winter, it depends where you are. Along the top end they would. Some people in Perth swim all year round but I find winter too cold for swimming. Scuba divings a bit more of an all year round activity. People surf all year round.

Search on the web for some dive boat companies and see if they have trips out during winter.

Where in Australia do you plan on going? Heres a link to the Perth Diving Academy:

http://www.perthdiving.com.au/

but Im guessing you want to do the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland?

I would like to make it to western Australia but don't know if that's realistically a possibility....so yes, I would be definitely doing the Great Barrier Reef and trying to make it out west but I don't know...

lol. Thats okay, you dont have to make excuses. Western Australias a long way and its expensive to get to (and expensive to get out of).

If I was young and single and could afford it I would be travelling everywhere I fancied. I didnt when I was younger and regret it now.

If weather is important to you, Your third option actually sounds quite wise. Our best weather tends to be around February - April, and i believe parts of eastern Australia are actually more pleasant in winter than in summer.

I was just thinking about this. Australia and New Zealand have vastly different climates. February in Perth is hotter than hell. I wouldnt recommend anyone visit Perth in February. Im pretty sure many of the Eastern places are similar.

I would recommend juggling the Aus/NZ order around depending on what time of year you travel. ie do Australia when its a bit cooler and NZ when its a bit warmer.

Hmm, I hadn't thought too much about that either even though I think I had heard that.

I'd be looking to do the two either: Oct-Dec or May-July of 2006...hmm...

I went swimming in the Gold Coast a couple of years ago in June and i thought it would be too cold, but the water turned out reasonably warm, probably about 18 C (about 65 F, i think).

But you should probably keep plans that rely on the weather in Australia, because NZ is totally unreliable. (were currently in the middle of our wettest summer in history.) And I dont think NZ ever reaches 85 F after March.

But I would definitely recommend coming, theres only a short time in life when travelling is easy.

Take a semester off to travel. Life is short and you won't get an opportunity like this again

I go swimming down around Apollo Bay in the middle of winter, barely anybody in there but boy its refreshing.

You are absolutely correct; there will be a lot of time to start your business and get it up and running! When you do, you will NEVER feel comfortable leaving it to enjoy yourself....

Case in point, BAW (Bono's American Wife) and I started our business in 1994...we married in 1995; we've taken several side trips, 3 to 4 day trips but that was it...actually we never even honeymooned because "you can't leave the business! it always calls you!!! clients don't understand your absence!!"

so with those words, please consider your travel now or you may regret it...good luck...:)

oh, by the way, BAW and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversay later this year; we've promised ourselves a 10-day honeymoon/vacation..! :)

Part of my course involves a year abroad which I think is really good. My advice would be to take the semester off.

My friend and I are going travelling this year before I go to Spain in September and then France in July. We are getting really cheap flights to places so we have decided to bite the bullet and just go. I am already going to London in Feb for a few days with family, then in August I'll be in Dublin for a few days which is only 2.5 hours away by train then my friend and I are going to Amsterdam for 3/4 days, we're booking our flights tomorrow, well actually my friends doing that bit for us :D, then I'll beb ack home for 2 weeks and off to Spain.

We are just going travelling in between studying. When I finish my degree in 2007 I plan to take a year out and go travelling, I really want to see Australia and the rest of Europe and then I will come back to do either a masters or prepare for becoming a teacher.

Mr. BAW said:
You are absolutely correct; there will be a lot of time to start your business and get it up and running! When you do, you will NEVER feel comfortable leaving it to enjoy yourself....

Case in point, BAW (Bono's American Wife) and I started our business in 1994...we married in 1995; we've taken several side trips, 3 to 4 day trips but that was it...actually we never even honeymooned because "you can't leave the business! it always calls you!!! clients don't understand your absence!!"

so with those words, please consider your travel now or you may regret it...good luck...:)

oh, by the way, BAW and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversay later this year; we've promised ourselves a 10-day honeymoon/vacation..! :)

:up: one of my best friend's mother just gave me almost the same advice.

Take the time off and go!!!!

I know this will probably sound like stating the obvious but Australia is really big and, especially on the west coast things are really far apart. A lot of my friends and relatives from the UK have found it hard to get their head around the distances and the amount of time it takes to get somewhere.

If you come Oct-Dec the weather is pretty much fine for swimming/diving etc. May-July you will probably get more cold days as it is going into winter but the northern half of Australia will still be quite warm during the day.

Do you have a list of things you would like to do/see?

yeah I am pretty much decided I will go, it's just deciding when I should: if being there in the summer is important enough to take a semester off, or if I could be just fine in the winter there....

Don't know exactly what I want to do, hopefully hit the major cities on the east coast, dive in the great barrier reef, I'd love to get to Ayers Rock and the inside a bit, would love to get to Tasmania....but yeah, I know it's hard to get around (and I don't have much money either!) so I'm not sure how realistic it is that I'd get to go to a bunch of places...

The good thing is that US$1 = AUD$1.31 (approx).

It's not so much that it is hard to get around, more the time to get places because of the distance, which can really eat into your holiday time.

Travel as much as you can while you are young, free and with no commitments (financial or emotional). Also being young, you are a lot more adventurous in your travels.
At 26 years of age, I left Sydney to work in London for 3 years and traveled heaps around Europe. It has been the best 3 years in my life.
Also, traveling and meeting different people from different parts of the world is a great educational experience. Education you cannot get in the classroom.

Back
Top Bottom