should I take a semester off to travel? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 01-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:53 AM
i'm traveling this summer.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:53 AM
Travel while you can, before you get too tied down.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #18
New Yorker
Local Time: 06:53 PM
Take the time off and go!!!!

I know this will probably sound like stating the obvious but Australia is really big and, especially on the west coast things are really far apart. A lot of my friends and relatives from the UK have found it hard to get their head around the distances and the amount of time it takes to get somewhere.

If you come Oct-Dec the weather is pretty much fine for swimming/diving etc. May-July you will probably get more cold days as it is going into winter but the northern half of Australia will still be quite warm during the day.

Do you have a list of things you would like to do/see?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #19
Local Time: 05:53 AM
yeah I am pretty much decided I will go, it's just deciding when I should: if being there in the summer is important enough to take a semester off, or if I could be just fine in the winter there....

Don't know exactly what I want to do, hopefully hit the major cities on the east coast, dive in the great barrier reef, I'd love to get to Ayers Rock and the inside a bit, would love to get to Tasmania....but yeah, I know it's hard to get around (and I don't have much money either!) so I'm not sure how realistic it is that I'd get to go to a bunch of places...
Old 01-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #20
New Yorker
Local Time: 06:53 PM
The good thing is that US$1 = AUD$1.31 (approx).

It's not so much that it is hard to get around, more the time to get places because of the distance, which can really eat into your holiday time.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:31 PM   #21
Local Time: 08:53 PM
Travel as much as you can while you are young, free and with no commitments (financial or emotional). Also being young, you are a lot more adventurous in your travels.
At 26 years of age, I left Sydney to work in London for 3 years and traveled heaps around Europe. It has been the best 3 years in my life.
Also, traveling and meeting different people from different parts of the world is a great educational experience. Education you cannot get in the classroom.