Should I Give NIN's 'The Downward Spiral' a try? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 AM   #16
love, blood, life
Local Time: 12:31 AM
Yes, I definitely find Reptile very, very very sexy. Like, I want to dance on a table with my big black boots to it.

In high school, my best friend and I made up a funny dance to it while we would drive to school or anywhere else. It basically consisted of us "shaking our maracas" and rocking back and forth and mimicking wiper blades, but we thought it was awesome!

Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #17
War Child
Local Time: 04:31 AM
I feel it's a record of it's time, and to be fair he was at the depths of his depression when he made it. I also don't think it's fair to say the man is devoid of melody. If you want melody you started with the wrong NIN record. I also don't agree with some of you with regards to his vocals, I actually really like the way he sings, he's not the strongest vocalist, but I couldn't imagine anyone else putting the personality and humanity into the songs the way he does.

TDS isn't my favourite NIN record by a long shot, if I were you I would have started with 'With Teeth' then back to The Fragile which has some of has some of the most beautiful ambient instrumental music I have ever heard (The Frail, La Mer) mixed with some great rock songs (We're In This Together, The Wrethed, No You Don't). Overall it's a work of genius, just the way he links the songs together is something else.

Another great album is 'Still' a rare record but well worth hunting down with more ambient takes on songs from The Fragile.

It all comes down to what you want, no NIN record is an easy listen as they're extremely dark, I'd say that WT is the easiest on the ear and the most 'melodic'.