should i get my ears pierced?? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: should i get my ears pierced?
yes 31 77.50%
no 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:20 AM
I have had my ears pierced four times (first time when I was 6) and it's not sore at all.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:20 AM
I'll be the sole naysayer. lol. I have had mine pierced twice and both times have had issues with allergies to most of the metals used in earrings. Had 'em pierced when I was six, but they got so painful and swollen that I took out the earrings and they grew back over. Did it again when I was 16 and figured out I could wear pure gold hoops to avoid infection. I wore those until I was in Peace Corps and then lost one somewhere, so now I go without. I can still put earrings in for a special occasion if i want to suffer the irritation the next day.

Piercing the nose hurts less and I've found causes less bother.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #18
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

I've had each ear pierced three times (each piercing slight further along my lobe than the last) and none of them hurt particulary. It just stings a little bit. I took my earrings out too early the first time I had them done and then putting them back in was painful - so if you are going to get them done dont do that!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:20 AM
No, it's hell. I had my ears pierced when I was eight and I screamed the entire shopping centre down. My earlobes were red for two whole days. Then the holes got infected and this revolting puss started to encrust the studs. Each time I took them out to clean them with those lovely alcohol swabs, I felt as though someone was driving a flaming poker through my skin.

Plus, you won't be able to wear those guitar earrings for several weeks anyway.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:20 PM
I almost never wear earrings but I say go ahead and give it a try.

I had my first 2 holes done professionally. The second holes closed up, then I re pierced them in high school myself and added a third hole to my left ear. I've never experienced an infection. But I'm an idiot, so who knows.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:20 PM
I say go for it . Had my done on my 8th birthday and it was really nothing at all. Feel a sting for a very brief period of time and than it's over.

Btw love the guitar earrings!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Kayla, I think you should go for it!!!!! It only stings for about a minute! Besides those earings are just soooooo I saw similar ones like that in claire's in blue colour and was tempted to buy it!!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Definitely go for it! Those earings are great.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #24
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Wow that's so weird how some have had no problems at all and others have had problems with infections. I guess it just depends on the person. I have two holes in each ear and I dont remember having any problems at all.

I think its the same for belly button piercings too.. I'm too scared to do that for some reason. A few of my friends had major problems with bad infections.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Plus, you won't be able to wear those guitar earrings for several weeks anyway.
Yeah, I presume they'd pierce your ears with studs and I couldn't change mine for around 2 months. Even now when I wear earrings that are long and dangly, they hurt my ear if I wear them for a whole day. I think it's the weight, I don't know if anyone else has the same problem. Maybe it takes a while to get adjusted to them.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Sure. I had a bad experience, but the piercing itself didn't hurt or anything.

I had mine done (first piercings, 21 years) in January so that I'd be able to wear dangly things by the time of my wedding. They were fine for 2.5 months. Then they got REALLY messed up because the backs of the piercing studs were tight and getting embedded. I bought tiny rings and put those in instead, but for weeks they were still red, purple, hard, and yellow/green stuff came out. When they started bleeding constantly, I took the rings out and they honestly swelled shut within minutes before I could get anything back in. So, I can't wear earrings to my wedding, which is the only reason I got them pierced.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:20 PM
LauraMullen, I can't wear heavy earrings either, and I got my first ones done 16 years ago. The weight definitely bothers my ears.

Plus, I have very sensitive ears, and can only wear sterling silver. It's hard to know if you'll have a bad reaction to the piercing until it's done, unfortunately.

When I got my first piercing, they were done in silver, and I found out several months later when I changed earrings that I couldn't wear gold, etc. From then on I've made sure that all my other piercings were with silver, and I've had no problems.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:20 PM
You'd think 14K gold earrings would be better than silver, but they aren't. Everyone is different, and sometimes sterling silver is better. But again, you have to wait a while after having them pierced to change out - and if you are buying cheap/crappy earrings (Claire's, Icing,...), you want to make sure to not keep them in for days at a time. Perhaps wear them that day, and put a good/trust/reliable pair in at the end of the day. And make sure to clean your ears & the earrings often. I've had no troubles, but my daughter does sometimes. She had the problem where her lobes were red & scabby and didn't wear earrings for like a week. Then it took about a week or so of trying to get earrings back in, because she was afraid and it would hurt, and she wouldn't do it on her own. Now she's an old pro and it seems like she has about 100 pair of earrings, LOL. I know where to go if I need to borrow any

And LivLuv - sorry to hear about your troubles - perhaps you could find a nice pair of clip-ons?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

And LivLuv - sorry to hear about your troubles - perhaps you could find a nice pair of clip-ons?
Yeah...I've been looking but they're all very tacky/gawdy. When I was younger, one of my friends had a pair that had a very strong magnet, so it looked no different than a regular backing, but I can'd find them. I'm thinking of getting them re-pierced with a pearl stud the day before the wedding.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:38 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

You feel a pinch and then your earlobes will feel really hot, like when you're out on a cold day without a hat and come inside and your ears are burning.

It's really not painful, definitely not a reason not to get it done.