Should i buy an iPod?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
This summer I'm going to Europe and have been putting aside every cent for that, not wanting to splurge on anything. However, an iPod would be very convenient to have instead of a bulky CD case and CD player for the trip. I have a little over $1,000 in my savings but am hesitant to spend it. If I were to buy one I'd buy a mini. But do I want to give up $250 for it? Is it worth it? What would y'all do in my situation?

Look for a new generation of smaller mp3 players using mini hard drives.

I would wait.

And a cd player that does mp3s as well is far cheaper.

If you really want to go to Europe and money is tight, I would wait too. I know people who have travelled on long trips and say they can't go without their music, and I can understand that.

That being said, I backpacked for two months in Europe last summer without ANY type of music player and was just fine. I think it forced me to talk to people on trains and stuff instead of just zoning out. Plus you hear all kinds of music in clubs and stuff, and just being about.

It'll make you appreciate your favorite artists that much more when you get back. :)

Just my .02

i just shelled out the 372 dollars (damn tax) for the u2 ipod yesterday. i love it, but it is pricey so if youre saving money i agree with what nb said and just try and find a smaller/cheaper mp3 player.

I am really funny about forking out large amounts of money (I'm a student, I fork out too much on fees and didn't earn much last year.) I have been going into electronic shops and questioning the poor folk who work there sensless. All of them have told me not to get an ipod. I was never fussed on one anyway. I have used one and I didn't think it looked that nice and the one I used the battery died really quickly. I've heard people complain a lot about that. I have seen a really really nice mp3 player. The one I was looking at was 20gb but I wanted the smaller 10gb one but they only sell it in America. It is a Sony one I think the 20gb one is called the NW-HD3. It had 30 hours battery life and it was really small and light. I like Sony and I know I could trust them. The guy I was talking to bought the 10gb one for £105 (inc shipping to N.Ireland) which is $210 on ebay.

U2democrat said:
getting mixed signals. :|. i'll ask my german teacher (he has one and is taking me) to see what he thinks too.

When you're in the shop look at every mp3 they have that you think you might be interested in. The last time I was in I had about 6 out on the counter and was lifting them all and really inspecting them and asking lots of questions. I think the guy was going to throttle me when I said I'd think about it. :reject: The people know everything about them all though and are really reallygreat at giving advice. It was much better than reading online reviews for me. I didn't get to see the ipod in the shop though, they stopped selling them because they had so many complaints. That's why I borrowed a friends.

You could get an Atrac (that's not spelt right, I know) CD player instead if you didn't want to shell out for an MP3 player - they're quite a bit cheaper and are good for compressing MP3s onto CDs.

lauren430 said:
That being said, I backpacked for two months in Europe last summer without ANY type of music player and was just fine. I think it forced me to talk to people on trains and stuff instead of just zoning out. Plus you hear all kinds of music in clubs and stuff, and just being about.

This is an excellent point. Leaving your music behind may enhance you experience. You will likely hear and see more things and get a better flavor for Europe by leaving a slice of the US behind.

I'm going to Europe too this summer and I will be buying an i-pod (as soon as I have the $$). I-pods are pretty expensive compared to other mp3s but they're so easy to use. Scroll to the song you want and click.

I say buy it. Hopefully it will pass the time on the planes.

where are you going in Europe u2dem?

I'm buying a music player sometime this year before Sept because I'm going to live in Spain then France so don't want to be without music for over a year but also don't want to cart over hundreds of cds.

If $$ is your big concern - then either skip the iPod or buy a very cheap substitute (some low storage mp3 player that perhaps holds a few hundred songs) or a CD player that also plays mp3's burned onto CD's.

However, if you can afford an iPod, I'd skip the mini-iPod and get the 20 GB or higher version. The price difference between a mini and a regular iPod is only about $50 - yet you get a LOT more storage room (and the size is comparable).

The U2-themed iPod is $50 more - if you want that extravagance, it's up to you.

However, as a person who has an iPod I can tell you that I LOVE IT!! :drool: I too debated about getting one, but decided on doing so in December. I've used it virtually every day since. I use it when driving, when waiting in the airport, while at work, etc. I have not only tons of U2 songs on it (to satiate any U2 mood I'm in), but music that will cover all of my moods, from disco to rock to Sinatra to remixes. To me, it is well worth the $$.

A lot of the iPod extras can cost a fortune, however, for $12 you can get an iSkin (which I recommend) or for $30 a leather carrying case (which I currently use). You definitely want something to prevent scratches to the iPod.

If you only have a few hundred mp3's you know you'll listen to while in Europe, then perhaps the CD-mp3 player is better for you. However, if you have tons of music, then you will definitely love the iPod and realize what a great purchase it is.

Good luck on your decision and have fun in Europe! :wave:

That sounds like really good fun. :applaud:

My friends and I wanted to go travelling by train through Europe this year but it was really expensive. Now they are all coming to see me in Spain, not because they want to see me but because, and I quote one of them it's a "free holiday". And he tells me this everytime he gets drunk. :crack:

What about the new iPod shuffle? Just came out, and you get a full gig for only $149. As far as the mini goes, personally I think unless you really really want the small form factor, you're better off saving the extra $50 up and buying the full blown regular iPod...

I was never a fan of the ipod and I became less and less interested after 2 shops I went into the workers said they didn't sell them and in the other shop the boy said they were " :censored: awful". What a choice phrase to use for a customer. :hmm:

I will stop complaining about the ipod now.

I would get the ipod shuffle but it only holds 240 songs. i think my u2 collection alone exceeds that. i may as well go for the mini. if i get one.

:lol: lara. though many here seem to be happy with their ipods, so do my friends. :shrug:

the ipods here are more expensive than they are in america. a mini ipod would cost me over $340 (they are around £170 here). I've seen so many other pretty music players here and they are not that much more money just. I have a really nice record player and hi-fi system that is Sony and it is great, it was quite expensive when it was bought but it is brilliant. I just like to stick with a brand I trust I guess.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001Q25PQ/026-7157045-2100449 - these are the sort of things ive seen regarding battery life when ive read reviews on sites.

Last edited:
A mini is worthless. Why spend that much money on it when you can get a much larger storage iPod for barely a bit more? Makes no sense to me, especially if the budget is tight.

IMO, spend the money in Europe, wait for Gen5 iPods. The battery life currently is not great and I believe that Gen5 will be a vastly improved product. $250 can go a long way in Europe if you know how to spend it wisely.

U2democrat said:
I'm going to Germany, Prague, Austria, Switzerland, and Paris for about 2 weeks total. It'll be alot of traveling and sleeping on the train/bus.

Where in Germany/Austria/Switzerland are you going?

I love Bavaria. Prague is beautiful - take a pic on Karluv Most, it's just stunning. I lived in Austria for a while - in Burgenland (The southeast part of Austria) and then in Vienna. Very nice place. Take lots of pics!

I bought one just because I found out I had some extra money, and gee whiz do I love it. I've only had one problem. Songs I had already burned onto data discs, then put back on my hard drive to load onto the ipod, don't always work. but all the ones that had been ripped straight to the hard drive or downloaded work just fine. I've been so enthused by it that both yesterday and today I went out walking for about 2 hours... nothing else motivates me to excercise. So that's my big benefit. There is something to be said for the experience of being in Europe without the clutter of American music... but I brought music with me both times I went and now have strong memories attached. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for out of the experience

IRivers are very good too, by the way. I preferred it to the Ipod when I was looking into MP3 players, although the Ipods are better on the eye.

U2democrat- you're going to love Europe so much. It sounds like you're going to the best places you could possibly be going. Have a wonderful time and bring us back lots of pictures :)

anitram said:

Where in Germany/Austria/Switzerland are you going?

I love Bavaria. Prague is beautiful - take a pic on Karluv Most, it's just stunning. I lived in Austria for a while - in Burgenland (The southeast part of Austria) and then in Vienna. Very nice place. Take lots of pics!

I can't remember exactly what cities/towns/sites we're going to see. I know we're going to Berlin and Munich, around the Zugspitze and we'll go up Mt. Pilatus. Other than that I can't recall. I'll take TONS of pics, that's for sure! :up:

Back
Top Bottom