Should i buy an iPod? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

So, in closing, the IPod does cost a lot of money, but there is a reason why it's far and away the most popular and groundbreaking MP3 player on the market.
It's the most popular on the market because it has been advertised so much, not because it's actually the best, I have read a lot of negative things in the news about the Ipods. And there has also been a lot of bad press about the ipods battery life

Read bad things about the Ipod here

I love the NW-HD1 and the VAIO player (both by Sony)

Sony's NW-HD1 Network Walkman weighs less than 4 ounces, making it the world's smallest portable audio device built with a 1.8-inch, 20GB hard drive, according to the company. (The iPod weighs in at 5.6 ounces.) Sony claims the device's internal rechargeable battery provides up to 30 hours of continuous playback, while the iPod offers up to eight.

Plus, these look much nicer than the Ipod, you can get a 10gb version of the NW-HD1 in America but I don't know what it's called, a bloke in the electronics shop told me about buying his for $220 on E-bay. And they are lighter I think.

HD1:

HD3:

Old 01-13-2005, 08:10 AM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

Sony claims the device's internal rechargeable battery provides up to 30 hours of continuous playback, while the iPod offers up to eight. [/i]

The iPod mini is 8 hours of battery, the iPod 20GB and 40GB are 12 hours. Not a huge difference, just want to make sure the info is correct.

I have heard arguments on both sides about which brands are better.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

The iPod mini is 8 hours of battery, the iPod 20GB and 40GB are 12 hours. Not a huge difference, just want to make sure the info is correct.

I have heard arguments on both sides about which brands are better.
Yes but very a few extra $ U2dem could get a 10/20gb player by another company rather than forking out so much money for the mini ipod (I think thta's what she said she was going to get with 8 hours battery life) which has 8 hours battery life.

I have been doing a lot of research into these mp3 players, I have asked questions until the workers in the shop are blue in the face giving answers. I like to choose wisely before I spend my money and so far I've been most impressed with Sony. I'm stubborn too and once I see something I really like it's hard for me to change my mind and believe a more expensive item with bad battery life/ poor reviews in the press is the better product to waste my money on
Old 01-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:29 PM
PERSONAL UPDATE: My ipod is now fixed. Chalk it up to user error.....
Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:29 PM
i think people here are right, if i'm going to buy an ipod it should be the full one. hopefully my iPod fund will give me a good start.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
these look much nicer than the Ipod
That's a joke, right? Those Sony players in the picture there are an eyesore. The IPod is visual chocolate.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

visual chocolate. i like that.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #83
War Child

i dont know if this has mentioned but they have 99 dollar ipods now, go to apple.com for info.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:09 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

yeah i know, but they only have 249 songs. that's not nearly enough.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I have been doing a lot of research into these mp3 players, I have asked questions until the workers in the shop are blue in the face giving answers. I like to choose wisely before I spend my money and so far I've been most impressed with Sony. I'm stubborn too and once I see something I really like it's hard for me to change my mind and believe a more expensive item with bad battery life/ poor reviews in the press is the better product to waste my money on
Watch out with Sony. Unless you're getting their newest product, it is probably an ATRAC-only player. Yes, Sony refused to add MP3 support until only recently. I would have figured they'd have learned their lesson after the disaster that was BetaMAX.

As for iPod batteries, it's like anything with a rechargeable battery: watch out for recharging it too needlessly! Let the battery run out almost completely and then recharge. As the iPod, most certainly, does recharge when hooked up to a computer via Firewire or USB, it would be wise to time your music upload schedule to when you need to recharge your battery...and let the Firewire/USB connection recharge it fully.

Plus, realize this: if your iPod stops functioning completely, due to battery depletion, Apple, essentially, gives you a whole new iPod for $99.00 (plus $6.95 shipping).

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery.html

It SUCKS that this can happen, but do realize that ANY product with rechargeable batteries are going to need replacement eventually. Cell phones are the same way, as most of us know. Thankfully, Apple bothers to have this $105.95 replacement program for out-of-warranty iPods (those in warranty and happen to have this problem are, obviously, replaced for free). I'm sure that other companies would just tell you to buy another one at full price.

Anyhow, my point is not to convince people to buy iPods who don't want them. It's just to keep things in perspective. Every product has their ups and downs. The iPod is great, because it's fashionable, can double as a portable hard drive, has completely inobtrusive and reasonable DRM, and enjoys excellent compatibility with tons of accessories available.

Melon
Old 01-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

so far i have about $10 for my iPod fund
Old 01-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/

I thought I'd post this link for people who have questions regarding the iPod battery. It seems to get a lot of bad rap, which is quite unfair (especially after you read this site).

Melon
Old 01-15-2005, 10:20 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

I've had an iPod for a long while now and it's not the battery itself that longtime owners originally complained about as much as it was the fact that the way the iPod was constructed, it was not really feasible to replace it yourself, the way you can with a digital camera or a laptop. Sure, you can open your iPod up with things like guitar picks, but you risk damaging it, scratching it, and so on and it really shouldn't be that way.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:28 AM   #89
Babyface

Quote:

First, most stores will want to sell you something other than an iPod. Why? Because iPods have very small profit margins for retailers; stores make more money on an individual sale if they sell another brand of player. Moreover, other players don't sell very well, so retailers try to push them as much as possible.

There are indeed fine players other than the iPod, like the iRiver and the Creative players, but the Sony, unfortunately, isn't one of them. It has the worst music organization software of any of its major competitors and many users have returned the Sony players because of it.

If you want truly expert opinions on the Sony, as well as the iPod and other brands, go to where the experts are: head-fi.org. You're not going to get an expert opinion from store clerks, many of whom have never owned any hard-disk based MP3 player.

By the way, I'm an iPod owner, and like almost all iPod owners I know, I *love* the iPod and use it all the time. I've yet to find anyone who loves their Sony NW-HD1 or NW-HD3. Many of them are too busy screaming at SoundStage, the software that you have to use with the Sony.

As for battery life, with each generation of the iPod the battery life has improved. A lot of the complaints you'll read are about the older iPods. The new iPod photo, in fact, achieved over 17 hours of battery life in an independent test. Meanwhile, the 30-hour Sony batttery life actually is more like 22 hours according to independent tests. At any rate, I have a battery pack for my iPod that I rarely use. But if I needed it, the external battery pack from BTi gives me 40 to 70 extra hours!

By the way, iPods get some of the best reviews in the press. On the other hand, the Sony has been absolutely trashed in the press, for its unfriendly UI and totally atrocious SoundStage software and music store. Sony is trying to make fixes as fast as they can, but meanwhile their market share is a dismal 5th place in Japan, well behind the top sellers, which are iPods and a couple of Japanese brands you've probably never heard of. Basically, even the Japanese themselves don't like the Sony.

In summary, if you don't like the iPod for whatever reasons, there are a number of other choices. But, Sony, until they get their act together on their software, is probably the last player you should consider.

Finally, here's a great reason to go iPod and iPod alone. You can't get the Complete U2 (at least in its original, legitimate, and highest quality form) onto another brand of player because the files are only compatible with the iPod.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #90
Refugee

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/

I thought I'd post this link for people who have questions regarding the iPod battery. It seems to get a lot of bad rap, which is quite unfair (especially after you read this site).

Melon
I you read that, what you said earlier about charging is untrue. You do NOT need to fully discharge and then charge. They actually advise against doing it except on occassion. So charge whenever you want.