Should Bon Jovi be in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2004, 10:27 PM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:42 AM
Bon Jovi has touched the lives of many people...

Old 04-10-2004, 10:47 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

He really has. If you watch his fan club show you'll see there are people who believe he saved them from suicide or made them walk again. It's so easy to diss somebody else's band as junk but we all like different things.

Old 04-10-2004, 11:15 PM   #33
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I think as far as the genre that Bon Jovi is/was in, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, and Metallica will for sure be in. Yes I'm sure others too......They were huge in their day. I think the longevity of a band has to be looked at. Bon Jovi is still a recording/touring band whether we like them or not. I think that has to count for something. There were so many bands in the late 80's that were essentially one or two hit (album)wonders and then disappeared. Bon Jovi is still around. I can't stand them and the last song they had out that was really big a few years ago drove me insane but I just have to think they will eventually be inducted someday.

What's the criteria for a band to get in? Other than they have to have released an album 25 years ago or more.

Just because a band is eligible after 25 years of releasing an ablum is not an automatic guarantee that they will be inducted right away. So maybe when Bon Jovi gets to the 25 year mark making them eligible they won't get in right away. I'd be interested in the statistics. How many bands DO get inducted their first year of elibility?
Old 04-10-2004, 11:19 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Just because the majority of people on this forum are prejudiced against them and their music doesn't mean the whole world feels the same way, so we'll see what happens.
Just because people donít like a band doesnít mean they have prejudice against that particular band. I don't like Bon Jovi cause as I have said before they sound cheesy and fake to me. I don't think a band has to come up with a whole new genre or make groundbreaking records to be a great band, that's not fair. To me their songs are justÖ bad, very mediocre, just repetitive and empty in content specially if compared to some other bands (like the ones that influenced them). I think it's great that they have touched a lot people's lives. That alone is a reason for them to keep going but not necessarily to be inducted into the RNRHOF, which they probably will at some point of their career anyway.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:26 AM   #35
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pepokiss
Bon Jovi is the ONLY Glam Rock band to survived the 90s succesfully...

bon jovi was never glam rock.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:27 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by babyman
richie sambora is one of the best guitarists of the world! bon jovi is a well singer, all the others are just normal musicians
Now that is downright delusional!!! LOL

Are you joking or serious? you have GOT to be joking.

What has Sambora EVER done on the guitar that is even slightly innovative?? Its fine if you like the band. But he is not one of the best guitarists out there you are definately in the minority if you believe that. Jon Bon Jovi is a Bruce Springsteen copycat as pointed out previously. There is nothing original about this group at all.

I say NO on them getting in. At least not for awhile. Simply still being around shouldnt be a criteria for getting in anyway IMO. I dont think they have changed anything in music or brought forth anything new and exciting. There last album was absolute garbage. These Days was OK, but still nothing new.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:33 AM   #37
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I answered my own question......

Here's what the Hall of Fame website says about the induction process:

Quote:
Leaders in the music industry joined together in 1983 to establish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. One of the Foundationís many functions is to recognize the contributions of those who have had a significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll by inducting them into the Hall of Fame.

Performers
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artistís contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundationís nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes, and more than 50 percent of the vote, are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:48 AM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Thank you for printing that. I go back to my initial post, then - it's about innovation: "significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll."

FWIW, I used to be a big Bon Jovi fan. I bet some of you didn't see that coming (but rather assumed I hated them all along). But as with many hair bands, I let my love for them go years back. Am I diminishing their impact on their fans? Absolutely not. Do I believe they mean alot to the people who love them? Yes! I like alot of bands who have been around quite a long time, but that alone isn't going to make me think they belong in the RNRHOF.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:51 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797
I think as far as the genre that Bon Jovi is/was in, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, and Metallica will for sure be in. Yes I'm sure others too......They were huge in their day. I think the longevity of a band has to be looked at. Bon Jovi is still a recording/touring band whether we like them or not. I think that has to count for something. There were so many bands in the late 80's that were essentially one or two hit (album)wonders and then disappeared. Bon Jovi is still around. I can't stand them and the last song they had out that was really big a few years ago drove me insane but I just have to think they will eventually be inducted someday.
Well said. I agree.

I personally don't mind their songs. Not a diehard fan or anything (although I used to love them as a little kid-I definitely remember loving "Livin' On A Prayer" and stuff), but I can live with them. They seem like cool people, they hold some memories from childhood...yeah. They're okay.

Angela
Old 04-11-2004, 01:58 AM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Bon Jovi has touched the lives of many people...
I've heard that too! They can't touch Shawn Kemp though.

Did someone mention Locklear as a point in their inducting favor?

Using this esteemed logic, several member's... members... of Motley Crue should have a golden entourage awaiting them when their year finally comes. Vince Neil on the other hand...

The advocates of this thread and this band are right though. Those delectable anthemic yarns from the great decade need nary a worry for status. Slippery When Wet!

But you know what, I'm almost being far too cynical. I mean, after all, they did perform at the superbowl! It wasn't half-time, but screw all you critics!

LMOIRU()@#!%YU

PLEBA!
Old 04-11-2004, 02:00 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
I would not be surprised if they were inducted.

And, though I do not know what the criteria is for Induction, I do not believe that Bon Jovi was ever innovative, or changed music for the better in some way or fashion. Looking over previous Inductees, it seems that most of them have the respect of their musical peers, and so thusly they are offered a spot in the Hall of Fame. I have no idea if Bon Jovi has musical respect or not by their peers. Along these lines, though - if people feel the need that an "80s representative" should get in, I better see Talking Heads, Guns N Roses, Duran Duran, The Cure and Depeche Mode before any Bon Jovi-type band get in.
Guns and Roses is a hair metal band, so, is a Bon Jovi-type band...

The only thing that Bon Jovi has done good is repeat a formula for so many years and make it work
Old 04-11-2004, 05:38 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blue Room
[B]

Now that is downright delusional!!! LOL

Are you joking or serious? you have GOT to be joking.

What has Sambora EVER done on the guitar that is even slightly innovative?? Its fine if you like the band. But he is not one of the best guitarists out there you are definately in the minority if you believe that.

never liked to be in the majority! well, i don't dislike him as guitar player, he has a style of his own and he's good with solo's for his genre...ok, maybe he's not in the "best guitarists of the world" list, but in his genre he's one of the best...
Old 04-11-2004, 07:44 AM   #43
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:42 PM
well, guitarists such as Joe Satriani and Steve Vai recognise him as one of the better guitar players
and though I like to think I know a lot about music I'm not going to pretend I know more about playing the guitar than these guys
‚ÄúSome scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.‚ÄĚ
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-11-2004, 08:02 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Bon Jovi were never Glam Rock - thats 70's . They are too young for that.

Having said that I once confessed to my best friend at the time that I had Slippery When Wet LP hidden under my bed. And she confessed the same thing!

Hang on a minute (runs out to check under bed)
Old 04-11-2004, 10:33 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
well, guitarists such as Joe Satriani and Steve Vai recognise him as one of the better guitar players
and though I like to think I know a lot about music I'm not going to pretend I know more about playing the guitar than these guys
if joe satriani and steve vai said this, what should we add more?