"Short Skirt Long Jacket" by Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
A postmodern, feminist, New Economy love song or just another awesomely funny song by Cake? YOU decide. I have loved this song from the first time I heard it. My friend Rob once commented wistfully about this song, "You know, I really do want a girl like that."

I want a girl with a mind like a diamond
I want a girl who knows what's best
I want a girl with shoes that cut
And eyes that burn like cigarettes

I want a girl with the right allocations
Who is fast and thorough and sharp as a tack
She's playing with her jewelry, she's putting up her hair
She's touring the facility and picking up slack
I want a girl with a short skirt and a long jacket...

I want a girl who gets up early
I want a girl who stays up late
I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity
Who uses a machete to cut through red tape

With fingernails that shine like justice
And a voice that is dark like tinted glass
She is fast, thorough, and sharp as a tack
She's touring the facility and picking up slack

I want a girl with a smooth liquidation
I want a girl with good dividends
At Citibank we would meet accidentally
We'll start to talk when she borrows my pen

She wants a car with a cupholder armrest
She wants a car that will get her there
She's changing her name from Kitty to Karen
She's trading her MG for a white Chrysler LeBaron

I've always liked that song...

it's amusing, and yet I kinda like that image of the smart, kick-ass female, most songs about women by men seem like they could just as easily be talking about a doll

which reminds me of a great song by Hole

:sexywink:

I love that song...and the video was funny as hell! I'd forgotten about it though. I was gonna buy the CD when that song came out, but then I forgot. Maybe it'll go on ole Christmas list.

I LOVE cake... I posted a thread about them a month or so ago when I saw them here in Boston, this song is one of my favorites of thiers too. I found in my own experience as well that most people either love them or hate them.

I particularly like thier cover of "I will survive"... I hate the original one!

when I get time I'll read those lyrics

that partcular song didn't grab me, but I liked their song, hmmm I don't know the correct title.
"we're going for distance , we're going for speed , in a world...something or other about greed.."good horn section, driving feel.I know I always notice and recognise their music, don't always like it. I don't own any of their albums.
One of the bands we had,MGM, played the Cake version of "I Will Survive" when it was a hit on the radio, way back then.
CAKE:yes:
I seem to always assocuite them with The Offspring. The same band covered a song that I liked

maybe in another place
I will find you there
pulled away before you time
I can't deal 'its' os unfair
and it feel
and feels like....ohh good song too, imho
I used to be able to play it. I'll go try to play it for Roz and Hans...u got me thinking again..thanks

and I might bake a cake...why not.

PS: Elvis I cannot accept your kind offer. I am 41 years old for chrikesake, I will get it together soon. Please give that opportunity to one of the younguns. Something quite good happened this morning re: the band, I think, I hope....
I was just asking about he Premium staTus..I kinda like that notion, so was curious if it was available after dec 1. I should stay off line more anyway. So,
PLEASE
don't waste it....and do what you do well boy...oh o...i only hang around singing old songs anyway. Look after a youngun.
I'll write to you soon. I'll be around 4 sure. Sooner rather later, no doubt.Tme flies you know,
like an arrow
Fruit flies like a peach
:wave:

paxetaurora said:
A postmodern, feminist, New Economy love song or just another awesomely funny song by Cake? YOU decide. I have loved this song from the first time I heard it

I want a girl with a mind like a diamond:yes:

Who is fast and thorough and sharp as a tack

Who uses a machete to cut through red tape

With fingernails that shine like justice

I always liked that song since the first listening:yes:

I cut out and posted the BEST lines..:)

Everyone KNOWS the first line is the BEST:D

thank u
DB9
:dance:

I miss the rising action.

You know it's the damndest thing, I was about to start a thread concerning this very song. I'd best not, now.

Cake are truly sharp and funny and fun and all manner of things. I hated their song Going the Distance when it first came out but I've warmed to them since. Love that song about the salesman/evangalist - 'and he is calling you DUDE!'

What else. Hmmm. Nope, that's about all. Love a band with a horn section, as long as it's not Chicago.

A telephone salesman once called me dude. I feel that this is inappropriate and as a result his tongue was removed.

Cass babee, I believe the song you are referring to is The Distance. Dont quote me though, I know 3 songs of Cake only and thought they were an Aussie band lol, so my knowledge is limited.
This song, Short Skirt, Long Jacket although very simplified lyrics, is so extremely concise. Straight away you get a crystal clear image of the type of woman he is singing about. The way he describes her is so accurate, you can assume her entire life.
Meh, maybe I am reading into it too much, but I suspect Karen is an only child. Her parents are retired, her dad plays golf on the weekends. They have a holiday home somewhere nice. She is a professional, or semi professional at least, college educated no doubt. She goes yachting on the weekends with a group of friends, has manicured nails that are a practical length. She likes to eat out at restaurants and goes to cocktail parties, but likes wine with dinner. She has an investment portfolio, a 21st birthday present from daddy. She has social etiquette down to an art form, can discuss a wide range of topics without being boring or pretentious or having a deep passion for any of it. She is ambitious, driven, knows where she wants to be and has the edge that probably pisses some other women off but keeps her man panting at arm's length.

Like I said, reading too much into it. But she probably snorts coke too. :mac:

Back
Top Bottom