Shopping Centre Outlaws Hoodies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Apparently in the UK there's a big controversy about wearing hoodies in public places, including schools and shopping centers. It seems that people who wear hooded-sweatshirts are thought to be thugs. So I wonder what Adam Sandler thinks of all this?

Shopping centre outlaws 'hoodies'
By David Sapsted, Daily Telegraph
(Filed: 12/05/2005)

The country's biggest shopping centre has banned youths wearing hooded tops to stop anti-social behaviour.

The Bluewater shopping centre in Kent, which comprises more than 330 stores, yesterday brought in a "zero tolerance approach to intimidating conduct" after shoppers complained about groups of loitering teenagers.

Baseball caps and other clothing that obscures the face were also banned, to make sure those misbehaving could be identified on CCTV.

Bans on "hoodies" are becoming increasingly common, having been implemented in Folkestone, Merseyside, Corby and Kettering.

In January, two 15-year-olds in Leamington Spa received anti-social behaviour orders specifically banning them from wearing hoodies.

Transgressors at Bluewater will be denied entry or told to leave if they pull their hoods up after they get in.

Weird, must be a UK thing. I barely go 48 hrs without wearing a hoodie. Our school's bookstore sells nicely made ones (that actually fit girls!) in all sizes and colors, even w/ different logos (like some that grandmas would like, some for the students, some for little kids, etc). Not only does a hoodie match any pair of pants and is exceptionally warm, you also have a HOOD and a HUGE POCKET all in one. What more could you want?

They could never ban hoodies in Michigan, we'd freeze to death. It's the end of May and I'm still wearing them...

The malls in my area don't even allow teens under the age of 18 in the mall without a parent. Thats fine with me because a lot of them were causing problems and just hanging out.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Weird, must be a UK thing. I barely go 48 hrs without wearing a hoodie. Our school's bookstore sells nicely made ones (that actually fit girls!) in all sizes and colors, even w/ different logos (like some that grandmas would like, some for the students, some for little kids, etc). Not only does a hoodie match any pair of pants and is exceptionally warm, you also have a HOOD and a HUGE POCKET all in one. What more could you want?

They could never ban hoodies in Michigan, we'd freeze to death. It's the end of May and I'm still wearing them...

No kidding! I'm wearing one right now. :laugh:

starsgoblue said:
I love the little pocket/pouches in hoodies. Since my hands are always always cold.

Exactly. Not to mention at any given time I usually have chapstick, hairclips, money, and my ID cards in my pouch.

The malls in my area don't even allow teens under the age of 18 in the mall without a parent. Thats fine with me because a lot of them were causing problems and just hanging out.

Now this rule I'd be in favor of, as long as I can wear my hoodie! I can't stand groups of obnoxious teenagers loitering in malls.

Unless I missed something..youths are still allowed to wear hoodies in the mall but they cannot wear them with their hoods up or wear anything that conceals their face/head like a baseball hat :hmm:

:eyebrow:

i wore a hoodie in the mall once, and the sales people were giving me weird looks. the hood wasn't up, but i think it had to do with the fact that the design on my hoodie was a hardcore band's logo with blood incorporated into it and "kill a celebrity" printed on the back...and i was looking at camping knives :shifty: :p

WildHoneyAlways said:
The high school I teach at is considering banning hoodies next year. ( suburb of Chicago) Totally stupid idea. The kids are outraged already.

This is what one English school is doing about the hoodie outrage (also from The Telegraph)...

The goody hoodies
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 19/05/2005)

A headmaster has found a novel solution to the menace of teenagers wearing hooded tops by making them part of the school uniform.

Richard Haigh, the principal of the 1,600-pupil Coombeshead College, Newton Abbot, where pupils can opt to wear hooded tops as part of their uniform, said bans imposed by shopping centres, including Bluewater in Kent, served only to glamorise the "hoodies".

The national debate should be about the cause of the anti-social behaviour among teenagers rather than the clothes they wore, he said. "If you ban something, you make it more attractive to certain types. The more fuss we make about hoodies, the more likely it is that certain types of student will say it is the thing to wear.

"Every generation complains about its youth. When I was young, it was because my hair was too long. Now, because certain types of people wear a hood, everybody who wears one is a thug. That is simply wrong, misleading and rather unfair."

In a tongue-in-cheek letter to a national newspaper this week, Mr Haigh wrote: "I am disappointed by the lack of subtlety in dealing with the hoody problem. Follow our example and make them part of the school uniform. How uncool does that make them?"

Yesterday he said: "We seem to be getting up a head of steam and saying that all hoody wearers are thugs. I put in a note [to the newspaper] to say that this is not true."

The student council at Coombeshead College wanted an "easy-to-wear and modern uniform", he said. Two years ago, in response to "changing trends", they asked for sweatshirts.

"Most children wear sweatshirts but they are allowed to wear a school hoody in smart green and with the school logo," Mr Haigh said. "About 10 per cent of the pupils have opted for the hoody. It is comfortable and slightly cooler because it zips.

"They would not be allowed to walk around the school with their hoods up unless it was raining. It would be considered bad manners and absolutely unnecessary."

He said he had not encountered problems involving his pupils outside the school.

"To impose a ban and make a big fuss makes it worse," he said. "We ought to just relax and say it is not the hoody that is the problem; it is the behaviour of the person wearing it."

I don't think I've seen the face of anyone between the ages of 12 and 18 in my town since the hoodie thing took off. When my son's friends drive up, all you see is a black hooded driver and 2 or 3 black hoods in the back seat. It does look a little suspicious I guess but I see it as just another fad and nothing to get worked up about :shrug:

dsmith2904 said:

This is what one English school is doing about the hoodie outrage (also from The Telegraph)...

The goody hoodies
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 19/05/2005)

A headmaster has found a novel solution to the menace of teenagers wearing hooded tops by making them part of the school uniform.

Richard Haigh, the principal of the 1,600-pupil Coombeshead College, Newton Abbot, where pupils can opt to wear hooded tops as part of their uniform, said bans imposed by shopping centres, including Bluewater in Kent, served only to glamorise the "hoodies".

That school is in the next town from me!:wink:

I didnt attend there myself tho:ohmy:

Hoodies are alright but not in the same league as long sleeved surplus army shirts or Bono Jackets:wink:

I think there's a culture difference here. In the UK there are 2 types of people who wear hoodies, the grunge/ hippy folk and spides (chavs in most other places in UK) who are also notorious for wearing white tracksuits and caps.

scally.JPG

chavtwats.jpg

Comments on chavs and hoodies:

chavs do find them [hoodies] useful when they go out on the rob in city centres - as when combined with a baseball cap they can hide your face from CCTV very effectively - perhaps they could claim tax back on them claiming that they were work clothes?

Hoodie = Chav
Chav = Hoodie

Hoodies are ABSOLUTELY chav - especially when worn with baseball caps -which are also chav.

Chavs are known for being a menacing bunch who like to tea leaf cars, get stoned/ drunk and mug people, etc.

This is the kind of person this shopping centre is trying to ban, I think.

I don't see aynthing wrong with it myself. If I see a group of them hanging about I avoid them.

Lara Mullen said:
Chavs are known for being a menacing bunch who like to tea leaf cars, get stoned/ drunk and mug people, etc.

This is the kind of person this shopping centre is trying to ban, I think.

I don't see aynthing wrong with it myself. If I see a group of them hanging about I avoid them.

:up:
I get a lot of them pass thru my shop, on a daily basis. Bless em'. Their clothes sense DOES leave a lot to be desired!:wink:

Aardvark747 said:

:up:
I get a lot of them pass thru my shop, on a daily basis. Bless em'. Their clothes sense DOES leave a lot to be desired!:wink:

If it's not white, they won't wear it. We were out driving one night and when my friend turned the corner of a street all we could see was the reflection of about 2342394792387 pairs of trainers and tracksuits from spides getting drunk on some cider most likely. We almost died laughing.

My suspicion that spides have a totally different language was proved when an American (an interferencer) was over here and when we were in the pub she couldn't understand what they were saying "apart from the word fuck". :up:

Back
Top Bottom