Shopping Centre Outlaws Hoodies - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
The high school I teach at is considering banning hoodies next year. ( suburb of Chicago) Totally stupid idea. The kids are outraged already.
This is what one English school is doing about the hoodie outrage (also from The Telegraph)...

The goody hoodies
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 19/05/2005)

A headmaster has found a novel solution to the menace of teenagers wearing hooded tops by making them part of the school uniform.

Richard Haigh, the principal of the 1,600-pupil Coombeshead College, Newton Abbot, where pupils can opt to wear hooded tops as part of their uniform, said bans imposed by shopping centres, including Bluewater in Kent, served only to glamorise the "hoodies".

The national debate should be about the cause of the anti-social behaviour among teenagers rather than the clothes they wore, he said. "If you ban something, you make it more attractive to certain types. The more fuss we make about hoodies, the more likely it is that certain types of student will say it is the thing to wear.

"Every generation complains about its youth. When I was young, it was because my hair was too long. Now, because certain types of people wear a hood, everybody who wears one is a thug. That is simply wrong, misleading and rather unfair."

In a tongue-in-cheek letter to a national newspaper this week, Mr Haigh wrote: "I am disappointed by the lack of subtlety in dealing with the hoody problem. Follow our example and make them part of the school uniform. How uncool does that make them?"

Yesterday he said: "We seem to be getting up a head of steam and saying that all hoody wearers are thugs. I put in a note [to the newspaper] to say that this is not true."

The student council at Coombeshead College wanted an "easy-to-wear and modern uniform", he said. Two years ago, in response to "changing trends", they asked for sweatshirts.

"Most children wear sweatshirts but they are allowed to wear a school hoody in smart green and with the school logo," Mr Haigh said. "About 10 per cent of the pupils have opted for the hoody. It is comfortable and slightly cooler because it zips.

"They would not be allowed to walk around the school with their hoods up unless it was raining. It would be considered bad manners and absolutely unnecessary."

He said he had not encountered problems involving his pupils outside the school.

"To impose a ban and make a big fuss makes it worse," he said. "We ought to just relax and say it is not the hoody that is the problem; it is the behaviour of the person wearing it."

Old 05-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 07:40 AM
I don't think I've seen the face of anyone between the ages of 12 and 18 in my town since the hoodie thing took off. When my son's friends drive up, all you see is a black hooded driver and 2 or 3 black hoods in the back seat. It does look a little suspicious I guess but I see it as just another fad and nothing to get worked up about

Old 05-20-2005, 11:42 AM   #18
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:40 AM
But you can never know what nefarious things are being planned underneath those hoods...

Old 05-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:40 AM
That is dumb. Since when did clothing become a determining factor in whether or not someone was a good, law-abiding person?

Angela
Old 05-21-2005, 05:58 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904

This is what one English school is doing about the hoodie outrage (also from The Telegraph)...

The goody hoodies
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 19/05/2005)

A headmaster has found a novel solution to the menace of teenagers wearing hooded tops by making them part of the school uniform.

Richard Haigh, the principal of the 1,600-pupil Coombeshead College, Newton Abbot, where pupils can opt to wear hooded tops as part of their uniform, said bans imposed by shopping centres, including Bluewater in Kent, served only to glamorise the "hoodies".

That school is in the next town from me!

I didnt attend there myself tho
Old 05-21-2005, 06:22 AM   #21
Banned

I like hoodies
Old 05-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Mullen4Prez
I like hoodies
Do u drool on them?

Old 05-21-2005, 06:38 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Hoodies are alright but not in the same league as long sleeved surplus army shirts or Bono Jackets
Old 05-21-2005, 08:19 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I think there's a culture difference here. In the UK there are 2 types of people who wear hoodies, the grunge/ hippy folk and spides (chavs in most other places in UK) who are also notorious for wearing white tracksuits and caps.

Comments on chavs and hoodies:

Quote:
chavs do find them [hoodies] useful when they go out on the rob in city centres - as when combined with a baseball cap they can hide your face from CCTV very effectively - perhaps they could claim tax back on them claiming that they were work clothes?

Hoodie = Chav
Chav = Hoodie

Hoodies are ABSOLUTELY chav - especially when worn with baseball caps -which are also chav.
Chavs are known for being a menacing bunch who like to tea leaf cars, get stoned/ drunk and mug people, etc.

This is the kind of person this shopping centre is trying to ban, I think.

I don't see aynthing wrong with it myself. If I see a group of them hanging about I avoid them.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:22 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen
Chavs are known for being a menacing bunch who like to tea leaf cars, get stoned/ drunk and mug people, etc.

This is the kind of person this shopping centre is trying to ban, I think.

I don't see aynthing wrong with it myself. If I see a group of them hanging about I avoid them.

I get a lot of them pass thru my shop, on a daily basis. Bless em'. Their clothes sense DOES leave a lot to be desired!
Old 05-21-2005, 08:31 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

I get a lot of them pass thru my shop, on a daily basis. Bless em'. Their clothes sense DOES leave a lot to be desired!
If it's not white, they won't wear it. We were out driving one night and when my friend turned the corner of a street all we could see was the reflection of about 2342394792387 pairs of trainers and tracksuits from spides getting drunk on some cider most likely. We almost died laughing.

My suspicion that spides have a totally different language was proved when an American (an interferencer) was over here and when we were in the pub she couldn't understand what they were saying "apart from the word fuck".
Old 05-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
u callin me fik or sumfink?

Old 05-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!