Shine A Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeIsTooSexy

ONE love, blood, life
I didnt see a thread on this...hopefully there isnt one.
But when is this coming out in regular theaters?!
i know it opened today in Imax.

:heart: Martin

I remember seeing Rolling Stones Tour of the Americas '75

I was 19

I saw several shows from the first five rows

Saw a couple of stadium shows in the 80s

saw Kieth Richards and the Winos in a night club.

I got so many memories

I am always afraid to see what time has done to the heroes of my youth

Time can tear down a building or destroy a woman's face
Hours are like diamonds, don't let them waste

Time waits for no one, no favours has he
Time waits for no one, and he won't wait for me

Men, they build towers to their passing yes, to their fame everlasting
Here he comes chopping and reaping, hear him laugh at their cheating

Can't wait to see this the coming attractions from u23d looked really good.

Freaky though, I saw the Stones 20 something years ago before their 80's stuff came out.

and I'm still younger than them! :huh:

My favorite line from a Stones song has always been:
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need."

it seems like they think they need to have these people in the movie to bring in young people 2 watch it. at least thats my impression. but come on! its the stones everybody loves them!!

Saw it last night and it was awesome. My only criticism is I would have liked to have seen more behind-the-scenes stuff. I thought it was going to be a mix of live performance and backstage, sort of like Madonna's "Truth or Dare," but it was more like the behind-the-scenes stuff bookended the live performance.

We saw this last night in

IMAX

and it was bitchin'!

Buddy Fucking Guy tore the place down and schooled everyone. But what else would you expect? :wink:

Who had the brilliant idea of putting all those pretty and boring people down in front? :angry: Put some fans down in front, not models. :down:

deep said:

I am always afraid to see what time has done to the heroes of my youth

I really didn't know if I wanted to see it or not. I haven't been into The Stones in a long time and the last time I saw one of their HBO concerts a few years ago, it left me a bit depressed.

But I did go see it yesterday and I'm glad I did. Like someone else said, I was expecting a real documentary but it was in fact pretty much a concert film, with very little backstage footage and a bit of historical footage thrown in. For the first 15 minutes, I thought man, they look old, and the music is really tired. But it just kept getting better and better. I laughed a lot, and when I wasn't laughing (just because Mick Jagger is funny without trying to be), I was smiling. I realized, I love these guys to death.

Keith Richards just seems like the happiest man with a guitar that ever lived and his soulfulness came through in every scene. Ronnie Wood didn't get enough screen time as far I was concerned but got more towards the halfway point on and he was a joy as well and looks great.

Though the film seemed to want to belong to Jagger, his performance as always seemed cold to me. Contrasted with Richards' pure soulful spontaneous joy, it really struck me that Jagger seems to have little emotional connection to the music; he's just like a dancing/performance machine. And yet, I sat there just completely amazed by his seemingly infinite energy. He just never let up, and in fact, seemed to get more and more energized as the show went on. So I found there was a lot there to be amazed by, but little to feel when it comes to Mick Jagger. A lot to respect, less to love, if that makes sense. It was Richards, Woods, and Watts (who really does seem a bit fragile when he's not behind the drums) that warmed my heart.

And I loved Buddy Guy, Jack White, and yes, even Christina Aguilera. The girl can SING.

So you will definitely see what time has done to your heroes, up close and in your face, but I say pay your respects anyway. I felt sad and moved and nostalgic all at once. There was something wonderful about seeing these guys still doing what they do, loving what they do, just being themselves, looking like hell but sounding great, and still bringing the damn house down. It helped enormously that the venue was so intimate.

And yes, martha, the young blonds down front were annoying. Shame on Scorcese if he did that. :down:

Best line of the movie: "We cannot burn up Mick Jagger." - Martin Scorcese . You'll have to see it for the context.

I also loved just "being" in the Beacon Theatre again, so to speak. I've seen probably 50 or more shows there and it remains my favorite place to see a show though it's been a long time since I've been there. But as I watched the film I had a little trip down memory lane, remembering shows I saw there like The Replacements, Roy Orbison, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bryan Ferry, Sinead O'Connor, B.B. King, and on and on.

dsmith2904 said:
Saw it last night and it was awesome. My only criticism is I would have liked to have seen more behind-the-scenes stuff. I thought it was going to be a mix of live performance and backstage, sort of like Madonna's "Truth or Dare," but it was more like the behind-the-scenes stuff bookended the live performance.

That's the biggest criticism of the film so far from the reviews I've read.

I'm seeing it as a belated birthday gift with my dad this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom