Shayne Corson quits Leafs!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No kidding.....why couldn't he wait until after the playoffs? Why didn't he just quit when he frist started being a bitch about being scratched? I used to like Corson a lot.....but now.....what a bitch!

more corson...

This is such a weird thing...

also f/ faceoff.com
Corson walks away from Leafs
He has 'resigned': Player criticized for bad behaviour and selfishness

By SEAN FITZ-GERALD and HOWARD BERGER
National Post

Andy Clark, Reuters

TORONTO

Shayne Corson, the 36-year-old winger who has been haunted by anxiety attacks, ulcerative colitis and diminishing responsibility over his three years in Toronto, "resigned" from the Maple Leafs on Monday.

The 18-year NHL veteran, who sulked openly when he was benched for eight games in late February, quit the team after its double-overtime victory over the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 3 of their Eastern Conference quarter-final series.

Corson, a healthy scratch for the first time in the series, stewed through four-and-a-half periods, then told coach and general manager Pat Quinn after the game that hockey had stopped being fun.

"It had reached the point where he was just concerned that it was becoming a distraction in the dressing room," Rick Curran, Corson's agent, told the National Post yesterday. "That's not something that he wanted to have happen with his teammates, and he felt that perhaps it would be better if he wasn't around."

Corson's departure, according to one Leafs source, didn't come as a surprise, nor was it unwelcome to a number of players who asked not to be identified.

His dressing-room detractors insisted that Corson routinely put his own concerns ahead of the team and several of them yesterday cited his February tantrum, when he was first benched by Quinn, and how it took the lustre off what might have been the Maple Leafs' best game of the regular season (a 2-1 victory over Ottawa).

Another teammate noted that veteran defenceman Phil Housley -- though he played only one shift on Monday -- was among the first players over the boards to mob Tomas Kaberle after his winning goal in the second overtime period.

"There are going to be people who will support Shayne in this decision and others who won't care about it one way or another," Curran said. "Unfortunately, there will also be people inside the dressing room who will be happy about it."

Quinn, who did not comment directly on Corson's defection, is expected to address the issue this morning, hours before Toronto looks to add to its 2-1 series lead over Philadelphia.

"They all look at you and say, 'What's the matter with you? It should be me playing. And they should feel that way,'' Quinn said yesterday, before the news broke.

"That's probably the hardest part for coaches, or at least for this coach, is telling a guy that he's not going to go tonight because I know what they've given to play.

"I've watched them practice, I've watched them work, I've watched them deal with the heartache that goes along with this business ... they have my empathy, but I still have to make that decision, and I just pray that I'm right. That's all."

Corson, slowed at different points this season by a groin injury and by ulcerative colitis -- a chronic condition that has plagued him since childhood and one that some believe can be triggered by stress -- obviously didn't agree with Quinn.

"They told me I was done lots of times, like five years ago, before the [1998 Nagano] Olympics," Corson said earlier this season. "This is another challenge, another bump in the road, albeit one that has put a burr under my rear end. We all go through tough times, but I'm a person who can rise to a challenge. I play my best when I'm challenged."

Corson, a three-time all-star who also played in the 1991 Canada Cup and the 1993 and 1994 world championships, joined the Leafs as a free agent in the summer of 2000, signing the same day as Gary Roberts. And while he struggled during the regular seasons that followed, scoring just 27 goals over three seasons, and though he battled with anxiety attacks the first season -- "Much too often I'd wake up in the middle of the night panicking, my heart pounding, tears in my eyes," he told Sports Illustrated -- Corson was widely lauded for his post-season pestering of Alexei Yashin when the Russian centre was with both the Ottawa Senators and the New York Islanders.

But, after posting career lows in goals (seven) and points (15) this season, Corson's play in the first two games of the playoffs had been lethargic. He registered no goals, no points and one shot on goal before returning to the press box.

"The situation was having an adverse affect on Shayne's health and his general feeling about the game," Curran said. "Those who know him best realize that Shayne has always played with emotion, and this experience was draining the emotion out of him."

Corson told a source last night that he felt the stress was affecting his colitis and was concerned it could lead to surgery.

Shayne has had a lot of personal and health-related issues in the last few years. It's too bad he left under these terms, but he's still a hard-working character guy in my book... just misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom