Shakespear Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrieluvv

Refugee
have any of you had to memorize passages from shakespear?
my son has a school project which he has to do this and i want to help him...

anyone ever had to do this have any tips?

i had to way back in high school.

of course i can't remember any of it, except that it came from 'hamlet'.

but i'll tell you how we memorized it.

we all had to act out a scene, and video tape it. so what we did was we went to this narrow room, and we printed up in big letters the words to the scene.

so when i was looking at him, i was really looking behind him at all my lines and he was doing the same thing.

it was quite brilliant, really. :up:

you are quite brilliant really dear!

he has to remember this passage word for word and recite it ....
hes gettin a wee bit frustrated...

id hoped someone would come up with some magical trick for memorizing- they would bestow this knowledge unto thee.

hmm.............

What does help, apart from repeating the lines over and over again, is to have your son make a recording of the passage, and have him listening to it in the background when he's doing other things in the meantime. Trust me, if you hear it enough times it'll get in there and never leave. Like a dreaded Britney Spears song. :|

Ant.

Anthony beat me to it--yeah, listening to a tape is seriously the best way. That's how I did the first 14 lines of the Canterbury Tales for a class--and had the best pronunciation of anyone. :wink:

I've also found that memorizing it line by line is really helpful. Don't memorize the whole chunk at once, do it in small pieces and put it together--kind of like singing Partridge in a Pear Tree.

no no no

just cheat the way i did.

or is it not on videotape?

sex, lies, and hockeytape... :drool:

beau2ifulday said:
and make sure he remembers the 'e' on the end of Shakespeare too ;)

Actually... Shakespeare himself "mispelt" his own name several different ways. Including the version carrie used. Call it artistic license. :wink:

Last edited:
As for the answer to the orignal question of this thread... Have him break the sonnet down stanza by stanza. Help him out by reciting one stance over and over again until he has it down pat. Once he has one line memorized he should be easily able to memorize the next. The hard part is to be able to recite it in front of an audience.

Shakespeare Competitions :no: lol

Last edited:
you guys are so nice ...
were gonna break it on down ....

were gona spell it right *wink*

gonna git it together..watch it ! like ma bell whose dat?

i told him we have to find a bit of rythmn (sp?) in it and memorize it like a song...and being a teenager ofcourse he thinks im so gay!
and being a parent ...I know hes right !
*chuckle chuckle*

yep....thanks for your input friends....

Zoomerang96 said:
i don't get it!
I geddit. Beastie Boys.

Like Ma Bell, she's got the ill communication.

You're very lucky notiti didn't see this one or she would make you both write an essay about it.

We got to pick the scene we wanted to memorize so I simply picked an easy one. :D It was one of the witches scenes from the Scottish play as they call it in the theatre (bad luck to say it outloud, y'know). I can't tell you how I memorized it but I wish I could because whatever technique I used worked; I still remember most of it today (and high school was a veryyyy long time ago for me).

thanks youse guys...

he picked a witches scene..and hes almost got it !

sorry for confusing you zoom baby...the whole beastie boys thang was an unecessary tangent , and i apoligize

i think ill go find that cd and excercise to it..im getting so fat...

im so pleasantly surprised at all the input ...youse are so lovely!

Back
Top Bottom