Shag Point, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a BBQ, am back now. My partying days, shortlived as they were in the first place, are long behind me.

There's a much to love and little to make you want to throw the book. Unless you want to throw it because characters you like are in peril.

Ugh! It's just...UGH! I dont' like the way he does chapters :banghead: he's as bad as Dan Brown about cliffhanging chapters!

A really old former senator from North Carolina, who wasn't a very nice man.

Racist, homophobe Jesse Helms is dead

That's a pretty strong entry on him, but it gives you a flavor of how many people felt about him.

Bono apparently met with him and convinced him that AIDS was bad or something. Nice job, Bono. Better late than never.

Edit: Hi, BIMM!

Bono armwrestled him to death:

81.jpg

That's a pretty strong entry on him, but it gives you a flavor of how many people felt about him.

Bono apparently met with him and convinced him that AIDS was bad or something. Nice job, Bono. Better late than never.

OH ! that guy....I thought he died li,e... a century ago.

NSW, the rest of Dune fucking delivered on the crazy scale.

So L.A. Confidential is the shit. I actually gasped during the kitchen scene with Zefram Cochrane and Kevin Spacey.

re: Helms. To be honest, I did too!

LMP, you haven't seen LA Confidential before? It's fantastic.

One less racist homophobe....doesn't sound bad to me.

So L.A. Confidential is the shit. I actually gasped during the kitchen scene with Zefram Cochrane and Kevin Spacey.

:sad: that scene! Oh God...I just...oh that was a terrible moment in film for me. Because it made me sad, not that it was bad.

Amen to both comments.

Dune is one of the craziest mainstream films you'll ever see. Crazy without once actually trying to be crazy. Watching that thing at 3am when you have insomnia is my version of being on acid. Closest I'll ever get.

LA Confidential is a masterpiece.

To celebrate America tonight, I am going to watch a movie about Iran (Persepolis) and drink a Mexican Coca-Cola with my pizza.

Yyou're right....that was harsh, forgive me. No man should be subjected to a dan brown comparison

And, I'm sorry, it wasn't a big deal, honest, it's just frusterating, since he jumps to another story line, and you have to wait like three more chapters to get back to what happened, but it serves as nothing better but to make a person want to keep reading so it's really a plus.

Amen to both comments.

Dune is one of the craziest mainstream films you'll ever see. Crazy without once actually trying to be crazy. Watching that thing at 3am when you have insomnia is my version of being on acid. Closest I'll ever get.

LA Confidential is a masterpiece.

The tooth... the tooth...

I knew it was going to be awesome, but I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. Guy Pierce really surprised me - he and Russell Crowe were the stand-outs in an already stacked cast.

I'm still reeling from the fact that Boogie Nights, L.A. Confidential, Jackie Brown, Good Will Hunting, and Waiting for Guffman all came out in the same year, and won like 3 Oscars between the 5 of them. Fucking Titanic. Haven't seen As Good as It Gets, but it got a lot of stuff that year, too.

I screwed up the pizza I had earlier (because our BBQ was rained out). The top and bottom were brown, but the inside was still doughy :yuck:

And, I'm sorry, it wasn't a big deal, honest, it's just frusterating, since he jumps to another story line, and you have to wait like three more chapters to get back to what happened, but it serves as nothing better but to make a person want to keep reading so it's really a plus.

No sorry needed. I figured that the thing that was bothering you was possibly something that could be viewed as a positive.

Dan Brown is a hack.

Titanic is several hours of my life I wanted back before I even left the dollar theater where my friends dragged me to see it.

The tooth... the tooth...

I knew it was going to be awesome, but I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did. Guy Pierce really surprised me - he and Russell Crowe were the stand-outs in an already stacked cast.

I'm still reeling from the fact that Boogie Nights, L.A. Confidential, Jackie Brown, Good Will Hunting, and Waiting for Guffman all came out in the same year, and won like 3 Oscars between the 5 of them. Fucking Titanic. Haven't seen As Good as It Gets, but it got a lot of stuff that year, too.

Boogie Nights and LA Confidential are the standouts in that group for me, with Jackie Brown a notch behind, then Waiting for Guffman and Good Will Hunting. I did not like As Good as it Gets as much as everyone else, despite my love of Nicholson and James L Brooks. I suspect it had to do with my utter disdain for Helen Hunt.

But Mexican Coca-Cola isn't evil! It's made with real, actual sugar instead of the evil high-fructose corn syrup!

I've heard for a while now how awesome they are, and a new taco truck set up shop down the street from work, also selling these little bottles of yum.

I have high expectations.

No sorry needed. I figured that the thing that was bothering you was possibly something that could be viewed as a positive.

Dan Brown is a hack.

He really is a hack, but God, does Angels and Demons crack me up. THat is one of the most hilariously over the top books ever written, and I ate it up. Can't wait for that movie :lol:. Stupid of them to make Da Vinci Code first, but it WAS a better known novel (for reasons I will NEVER understand)

I read the Da Vinci Code and was so stunned at how bad it was. Everyone liked reading THAT? Sigh. At least people picked a fucking book up, I guess.

Titanic, good lord. I admit, parts of that film are amazing and I'd watch those scenes again. But parts of it make me root for the fucking boat to sink already.

AT work we have book club of sorts, and occasionally bring in authors to speak. We've had a local rep from Random House come in for the past few years and recommend some books they've put out or are coming out.

According to him, the publishing people couldn't figure out why Da Vinci Code was such a hit, either. One of those random "lightning in a bottle" things and they can't predict when something like that will happen.

You have a dollar theater too?!

Not anymore. It closed a few years ago :(

Titanic, good lord. I admit, parts of that film are amazing and I'd watch those scenes again. But parts of it make me root for the fucking boat to sink already.

I wasn't so popular when I did actually start rooting for it to sink in the theater.

I read the Da Vinci Code and was so stunned at how bad it was. Everyone liked reading THAT? Sigh. At least people picked a fucking book up, I guess.

Did you read Angels and Demons? DO IT! :lmao: I swear, I've never laughed so hard at something, and been so utterly fascinated with what would happen next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom