Shag Point, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just reading a story that makes me realise how fucking soft society has become. Some train ran into the City Loop today with one set of doors open, and the passengers were "shaken" and described it as terrifying, blablabla. You soft fucks. How the hell would have these people coped some fifty years ago when the idea of doors on trams was foreign and trains routinely ran with open doors?

I was just reading a story that makes me realise how fucking soft society has become. Some train ran into the City Loop today with one set of doors open, and the passengers were "shaken" and described it as terrifying, blablabla. You soft fucks. How the hell would have these people coped some fifty years ago when the idea of doors on trams was foreign and trains routinely ran with open doors?

for real? :lmao:

they should be thankful that the doors hadnt been straight out stolen !

If I vanish for long periods, assume I needlessly refreshed the page.

I sense a lot of DVDs and FS over the next few days to get me through this slow interwebs.

I could go and be sociable, but given my easiest way of communicating with my friends is via the internet, it's a shit cycle.

for real? :lmao:

they should be thankful that the doors hadnt been straight out stolen !

It does mention one of the scared passengers was heavily pregnant, so I can understand her being a bit on the worried side (though I can't understand why the fuck nobody had given her a seat), but the rest are just total fucking wimps.

Here's some quotes:

A shaken passenger, who did not want to be named ...

"We were pretty close to the doorway and as you leave North Melbourne the tracks are very wobbly and the train rocks backwards and forwards so we had to pretty much hang on for life," she said.

... a man near the doorway repeatedly pressed the emergency response button but the train did not slow down or stop.

... passengers huddled further into the carriage so cramped commuters could move away from the door after unsuccessful attempts to force it shut.

:lmao: You wimps. :lmao:

Jen, my Internet's fucking slow and the Muse upload is only half done. :sigh:

But at least it's 66.6MB. :wink:

Ironically Ax, I was about to make a similar point about planes!

Yahoo!

I never waited for it to load properly :shakesfistatsky: but it's about people panicking during a go-around, a fucking normal procedure.

OMG WE DIDN'T HIT THE GROUND FIRST TIME AROUND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Ironically Ax, I was about to make a similar point about planes!

Yahoo!

I never waited for it to load properly :shakesfistatsky: but it's about people panicking during a go-around, a fucking normal procedure.

OMG WE DIDN'T HIT THE GROUND FIRST TIME AROUND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

ahh dude- train - 1.5 meteres from ground, plane - HOW HIGH IS THAT ????????????????????

planes...... :sick:

ahh dude- train - 1.5 meteres from ground, plane - HOW HIGH IS THAT ????????????????????

planes...... :sick:

You can be up to 10, 11 kilometres up.

But my point stands, when was the last time a plane crashed whilst on a go-around, versus how many planes have crashed that should have gone around?

OMG THERE WAS ENGINE POWER WHEN WE WERE CLOSE TO THE GROUND!!!111

YOUR INTERNET'S FUCKING SLOW?

OK, so it outdoes dialup, but not by all too much in uploads. I can download at speeds up to 55KB/sec or so, but my uploads are limited to 12-13KB/sec.

Bah, that link of yours is video, Ian? My computer seems to not want to play it. What's so fucking scary about a go-around, though? As much as I'm going to mock the train wimps - if they had fallen out, the train would have been doing about 60km/h and they would've been in the underground City Loop, so there isn't much room and you'd pretty much be dead. Whereas on a go-around, it's not as if the plane's doing fucking barrel-rolls with its doors open.

I can't be bothered taking the week it'll take to quote you Ax, but those speeds are pretty good compared to my internets on a good day.

Damn you New Zealand!

Yeah, that's one thing that makes me thankful I'm not in NZ - sure, in global terms, Australian Internet is the absolute pits and little better than dogshit, but New Zealand Internet is dogshit.

Bah, that link of yours is video, Ian? My computer seems to not want to play it. What's so fucking scary about a go-around, though? As much as I'm going to mock the train wimps - if they had fallen out, the train would have been doing about 60km/h and they would've been in the City Loop, so there isn't much room and you'd pretty much be dead. Whereas on a go-around, it's not as if the plane's doing fucking barrel-rolls with its doors open.

Oh, the train thing is a bit scary considering potential consequences.

I think people are scared about basic plane stuff because they go into the sky. It's voodoo, I'm sure.

Serious question - who's alter is this?

Because it's one of my all time favourites.

Got to admit, that was funnier before it was blindingly obvious that it's an alter doing a wind-up job. The thought that somebody would make those posts in full sincerity ... :laugh:

Oh, the train thing is a bit scary considering potential consequences.

I think people are scared about basic plane stuff because they go into the sky. It's voodoo, I'm sure.

Yeah, potential consequences that will only happen if you're a moron and don't understand the concept of a handhold. Back before people became scared of everything, it was not unusual for trams to run with people hanging onto the outside. In Dunedin, their cable cars would run with people two or even three deep hanging onto the outside of the tram at peak. I have video of it! People just hung on and enjoyed the breeze. I can't believe this was actually news.

I suppose the one thing about planes - and the reason why I feel safer on trains - is that if a plane does crash, chances are pretty high that everybody on board is going to perish in a very unpleasant way. I figure that if I'm in a train crash, my chances are extremely good of surviving, but if I'm in a plane that goes down, I'm fucked.

That would be great.

It could be Rob with a new account. Have we seen him lately?

:lol: Yeah, he's been in the "Larry finished his parts?" thread on WTAHNN, which is worth a read.

I swear, every time I see that, I think it's "Larry finished his pants". What, he took up sewing in the time it took Bono to get back from Africa?

Yeah, potential consequences that will only happen if you're a moron and don't understand the concept of a handhold. Back before people became scared of everything, it was not unusual for trams to run with people hanging onto the outside. In Dunedin, their cable cars would run with people two or even three deep hanging onto the outside of the tram at peak. I have video of it! People just hung on and enjoyed the breeze. I can't believe this was actually news.

I suppose the one thing about planes - and the reason why I feel safer on trains - is that if a plane does crash, chances are pretty high that everybody on board is going to perish in a very unpleasant way. I figure that if I'm in a train crash, my chances are extremely good of surviving, but if I'm in a plane that goes down, I'm fucked.

It's safe to say it's all pretty fucking irrational, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom