Shag Point, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure that Peter Berg is going to fare no better. It really was handled best by Sci-Fi channel in that they went for a mini-series. There's just too much going on for two hours. Lynch, nut-job or not, made a pretty mesmerizing film out of it. It might be a mess, but it commands attention.

Phail, people.

Also, if you hadn't pulled a disappearing act last night, we'd be in Mollie's Nipple right now. :tsk:
I had to go to sleep last night. I had a busy day today of drinking tequila in the afternoon and getting sunburned. No better way to celebrate America :lol:

I'll be here for Mollie's Nipple tonight :)

My thoughts on the Temple Bar: It's not the Temple Bar anymore. It's something else. It's not necessarily bad. Certainly, I prefer the old Bar to the new Bar, but it's just a case of me feeling like it having the name still is disingenous. It's just not the Temple Bar. The people are different, the discussion's different. It's not the Bar.

BoMac and Elfa are my two favorite Bar posters. They were there at the end of the old Bar.

I stopped posting on the old Bar as soon as NSW retired briefly around March 10th. I've only posted since then when Beav is there.

My thoughts on the Temple Bar: Beav, Snow, Maya, PFan, LM, YLB when he was there, Dalton, Elfa, BoMac, VP, Brightest Star and RedKat made it a very fun confluence of people. A lot of laughs, a lot of interesting conversation, just a lot of fun. I will admit it, I looked forward to posting in there. So, that mix of people is gone, and the current mix, good people all, just does not combine to create the same result.

My thoughts on the Temple Bar: It's not the Temple Bar anymore. It's something else. It's not necessarily bad. Certainly, I prefer the old Bar to the new Bar, but it's just a case of me feeling like it having the name still is disingenous. It's just not the Temple Bar. The people are different, the discussion's different. It's not the Bar.

It doesn't feel like a bar anymore. Nothing controversial happens. No one gets upset with one another. Ironically, most of the drunk posting is done here. The only reason it deserves that name is due to the gratuitous flirting.

I am sure that Peter Berg is going to fare no better. It really was handled best by Sci-Fi channel in that they went for a mini-series. There's just too much going on for two hours. Lynch, nut-job or not, made a pretty mesmerizing film out of it. It might be a mess, but it commands attention.

True. Have you read any of the stuff about its pre-production work and how it was going to be a 4-hour film? Orson Welles would have played Baron Harkonnen, I think, which cracks me up.

It is a visually mesmerizing film, but it's ridiculous and campy as hell. I enjoyed it, and since I'm a n00b about this, I don't know if it's because of him or the source material. Then again, this could've failed because of studio interference. I really can't think of any movie altered by the studio that's made money or been better than the director's original intent, so why keep doing it?

Ironically, Peter Berg's Hancock could suffer the same fate. I posted my thoughts about it in the Review threads.

My sister brought back shitloads of L&P when she was last in NZ. We've now found a shop over here which sells it. L&P and Bacardi, you say?

:hmm: ... :drool: Yes, grasshopper. Yes.

Oooh, a shop selling L&P. I need to find one of those.

And somewhere with Squiggles biscuits too.

My thoughts on the Temple Bar: either the interweb is lying to me or girls in college are wearing less than they did when I was in college (and by college I mean serving fries near a university - while solving complex math equations on the side).

My thoughts on the Temple Bar: Beav, Snow, Maya, PFan, LM, YLB when he was there, Dalton, Elfa, BoMac, VP, Brightest Star and RedKat made it a very fun confluence of people. A lot of laughs, a lot of interesting conversation, just a lot of fun. I will admit it, I looked forward to posting in there. So, that mix of people is gone, and the current mix, good people all, just does not combine to create the same result.

Agreed.

Snow leaving hurt it badly, Beav dropping his posting rate to once every few weeks put it on life support, and you leaving was the kiss of death.

That's fair. If I were on the site then as much as I am now, I would've posted there more often.

True. Have you read any of the stuff about its pre-production work and how it was going to be a 4-hour film? Orson Welles would have played Baron Harkonnen, I think, which cracks me up.

It is a visually mesmerizing film, but it's ridiculous and campy as hell. I enjoyed it, and since I'm a n00b about this, I don't know if it's because of him or the source material. Then again, this could've failed because of studio interference. I really can't think of any movie altered by the studio that's made money or been better than the director's original intent, so why keep doing it?

Ironically, Peter Berg's Hancock could suffer the same fate. I posted my thoughts about it in the Review threads.

The fights between Lynch and DeLaruentis are well documented. He did want to make a 4-hour film, which, come on, Hollywood is gonna go for that? Good on him for trying, though.

It's campy indeed, unfortunately, but as we both agree, visually mesmerizing. Today's CGI could help make a better version.

My thoughts on the Temple Bar: either the interweb is lying to me or girls in college are wearing less than they did when I was in college (and by college I mean serving fries near a university - while solving complex math equations on the side).

But you did get your degree ... in justice.

well, girls dressed like this back in the time you referenced:

01138PilgrimWoman.jpg

Question.

Do I disturb my 'quiet for once' kids, and take them down to the rugby clubrooms to join Mr G in after match macho talk, or do I stay here at home where it is nice and warm and dry......

Agreed.

Snow leaving hurt it badly, Beav dropping his posting rate to once every few weeks put it on life support, and you leaving was the kiss of death.

Reading through MsMofoGone's thread, I realized exactly why everyone has/continues to grieve over Snow's departure.

I miss Beav too. His fry survivor reminds me of the good ol' days.

The fights between Lynch and DeLaruentis are well documented. He did want to make a 4-hour film, which, come on, Hollywood is gonna go for that? Good on him for trying, though.

It's campy indeed, unfortunately, but as we both agree, visually mesmerizing. Today's CGI could help make a better version.

Indeed, but I was referring to the pre-production work from the '70s, before Lynch signed on. Wiki has some interesting tidbits on that. It's even crazier than Lynch might've done Return of the Jedi if he had passed on Dune... who knows how that would've turned out?

You're right, it would. I was surprised at how many of the effects held up over time though. Today's technology cannot replicate the brilliance of models and matte paintings yet... but it's getting close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom