Shag Point, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, i've seen videos from the mid 70s (!!!) from australia that are in black and white. it said that the region was still broadcasting in black and white. it just came as such a shock to me. so it isn't surprising that some parts of australia would have problems with the digital conversion.

and for boxes, at least here, you can get them for free if you can prove you can't afford it. but of course, there's that whole mess of showing you can't pay for it. who knows what kind of ridiculous standards they'd set?

and i know! i tried to add him as a facebook friend a while back, and while i never got a denial notice, i never got an approval one either :depressed:

Yeah, sometimes it's just people being stick-in-the-muds and fearing any change whatsoever. Some parts of the Outback can be fairly conservative too, so they'll dig in their heels and kick up a fuss. But other times it's quite legitimate and you'll have technological innovations taking ages to filter through. Many parts of the Outback are still stuck on dialup because installing even just DSLAMs for DSL at phone exchanges in the middle of fucking wop-wop is seen as hopelessly uneconomic and the government has pretty much had to force Telstra to roll them out nationwide. And you can just forget cable in Birdsville or Tennant Creek or whatever.

I honestly haven't looked into things to see if the government offers a full subsidy - like I said, right now I feel like getting a set-top box would be as useful as me buying petrol.

Yeah, sometimes it's just people being stick-in-the-muds and fearing any change whatsoever. Some parts of the Outback can be fairly conservative too, so they'll dig in their heels and kick up a fuss. But other times it's quite legitimate and you'll have technological innovations taking ages to filter through. Many parts of the Outback are still stuck on dialup because installing even just DSLAMs for DSL at phone exchanges in the middle of fucking wop-wop is seen as hopelessly uneconomic and the government has pretty much had to force Telstra to roll them out nationwide. And you can just forget cable in Birdsville or Tennant Creek or whatever.

I honestly haven't looked into things to see if the government offers a full subsidy - like I said, right now I feel like getting a set-top box would be as useful as me buying petrol.
:tsk: it kind of annoys me when people refuse to "get with the times," so to speak. i mean, i'm not suggesting everyone buy new products as soon as they roll out. even i don't do that. but if a better technology has been available for a long time, why not upgrade? especially if the difference isn't that much.

yeah, i hear you.

ETA: Oh Yeah, and Axver

No, I have an analogue TV, not analogue cable. I, like the majority of Australians and New Zealanders, do not have pay TV. Free-to-air serves me just fine - well, except for sport over the last few years, which has increasingly been going to pay TV. But things I like watching such as Top Gear are going to be shown on free-to-air first anyway.

I'm reading earlier in this thread when we re-lived the good times in Atlanta, Germany. Cheatin' on our wives, that's how we do it. US of RECESSION 4 lyfe. It's like SEPTA, only more obtuse.

That thread literally drove PFan insane. I'm glad he came back from it, he could have sustained permanent damage. Stupidity drives us all nuts, but it kind of knocks THE HISTORIAN for an even bigger loop than most of us.

I don't know if it drove me insane, but it took me a few steps longer to making a full mocking effort because of her density.

I've had an FYM moment or two, which contributed to my leaving.

I lost it on Gabe, yeah. I lost it on U2Kitten, Mofogone. Maybe a few others. I got into it with Lance once. If You Shout, too. Though, I've come to like those guys. Wait. I used to attack Laz a bit, but also came to like him. Hell, you and I went at it over QB Rating, and I wanted to reach through the screen and slap you, but, I already "knew" you at that point and knew that you were far from a moron.

Maybe I filter the exasperation I'm truly feeling out a bit.

Don't forget you losing it on Brau.

QB rating is valid, but yes, you were right before. It's not the true measure of a man.

My anger gets filtered out through humor and sarcasm. I didn't have it in me to kill Screwy with a 25 page rant about what it means to be a human being of value, so I posted Smiths lyrics. That's how I roll.

We all have to cope somehow.

I cope by going to Atlanta, Germany and ignoring my significant other's hair changes.

We have it easy. By this point THE HISTORIAN is expected to do all the debating, and our job is to bring the lolz and maybe toss in a valid discussion point or three. I like my job. Comes with a nifty severance package too.

I, on occasion, also bring the lulz, just as you, on occasion, bring the three discussion points. Balance is achieved, in the end.

:wave: Hey Ax! What's up at Shag Point today??

:ohmy: Do you know it snowed in the Waikato today????? :shocked: The Kaimai Ranges got a dumping!! It's been fucking cold I know that much!

That thread will be infamous for all of Interference eternity. By the way, I noticed she made her comeback this week.

I'm 95% sure she was here as "Addicted to Bad," who typed in the same style in several EYKIW threads.

You know what pisses me right the fuck off? People who videotape firework displays. Are you really going to watch them again? To relive the magic?
that is pretty stupid. i've never witnessed that, but i have seen (and did see today) people taking photos. why?

oh, and seeing televised fireworks is not at all the same as seeing them live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom