Shades of Death Road, New Jersey Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, guys, I'm fucking tired, and, while I did download some music, my iPod apparently isn't working or something, because when I try to hook it up to the computer there's no response. Meh.

I'm tired from NY, so I'm out for tonight. Also, from tonight till Sunday, I'll not have my computer, so my posting will be limited mostly to nighttime.

oh and comcast's tech support. let's see...

"our service is down. the light on the modem is flashing"
"okay, unplug the modem and reboot your computer"
"i've already tried that"
"okay. unplug the modem and reboot your computer"
*wondering how that will fix anything* "fine...okay still the light flashes"
"how will doing this for the fifth time magically fix it? the signal needs to be resent. works every time"

i swear the tech support agents acted like it cost them money to send signals to our modem. i know they have scripts to go through, but doing the same thing ten times will always yield identical results.

Dear God, I had to drag an alternative out of their tech support guy. Turned out, our modem had died. They wouldn't have dared think it wasn't anything a good reboot could fix, though.

Honestly, they couldn't get off the reboot for fifteen minutes.

see, even that wouldn't work for me. the only time our internet ever goes down is ~2 am.

Some of the ISPs here roster a nominal emergency support from midnight to 7am. They won't help you if it's just your modem that's fucked up, but if it's a serious outage, you can report it and get their tech staff onto it.

For me, I can't recall if Internode has gone 24/7 or still has a midnight to 7am gap (haven't had to call their tech support in literally years), but they give all their customers 10 hours of backup dialup for free each month, so that's enough to see you through to 7am if it dies at 12:01am. :up:

Seriously? I didn't think it could get much worse than Time Warner.
Until we got AT&T...:rolleyes:

Cable might've been a pain in the arse but the service from Time Warner was so much more reliable than this. Not to mention they don't even offer us high speed where we live.
wow, really? i don't think we've had our service cut out once :uhoh: :hopes she isn't jinxing this:

back when i had dial-up, which we had for about 18 months, we had bellsouth, which is now part of AT&T. then we switched to road runner, which was the first company in our area to offer high speed internet. then they changed names to time warner, then comcast. it got worse with each name change and i finally convinced my mom to switch to dsl :love:

Dear God, I had to drag an alternative out of their tech support guy. Turned out, our modem had died. They wouldn't have dared think it wasn't anything a good reboot could fix, though.

Honestly, they couldn't get off the reboot for fifteen minutes.
i know! we had that happen too. in our case, the reason we kept losing our connection is because our house wasn't wired properly or something for cable tv AND internet. so once they got in that big box outside our house, we stopped having random outages.

and you'd think when they suggest a technician come to your house, they'd expedite matters. nope, it was always 4-5 days before someone was free. wtf

"how will doing this for the fifth time magically fix it? the signal needs to be resent. works every time"

i swear the tech support agents acted like it cost them money to send signals to our modem. i know they have scripts to go through, but doing the same thing ten times will always yield identical results.

"But...wait...is it plugged in???"

wow, really? i don't think we've had our service cut out once :uhoh: :hopes she isn't jinxing this:

back when i had dial-up, which we had for about 18 months, we had bellsouth, which is now part of AT&T. then we switched to road runner, which was the first company in our area to offer high speed internet. then they changed names to time warner, then comcast. it got worse with each name change and i finally convinced my mom to switch to dsl :love:
Yep, our satellite cuts out all the time, even when it doesn't rain and our phone loves to play "lose the dial tone". In which case, meaning I can't connect to the internet either. And calling them for tech support is even more of a hassle because they transfer to 74258973498237589 people that you can't fucking understand and your problem goes unsolved. And similarly, when you report a problem via their computers, you pretty much just have to HOPE someone will come out and fix it. :|
Our Time Warner had quite a few screw ups too, but it wasn't requiring us to jump through telephone hoops to get it fixed.

The only high speed internet provider in my end of town right now IS Time Warner. Which we've had once. There's no DSL out here yet because it's just too small a place, I guess. But if we move even just down the street, I think we can get it.

"okay, you must not have it plugged in. plug it in, then unplug the power AND THEN the cable (as if the order makes a difference between it working or not). then reboot the computer"

:banghead:

Rebooting does help a large percentage of the time, but you shouldn't have to do it more than once. That's just stupid.

Yep, our satellite cuts out all the time, even when it doesn't rain and our phone loves to play "lose the dial tone". In which case, meaning I can't connect to the internet either. And calling them for tech support is even more of a hassle because they transfer to 74258973498237589 people that you can't fucking understand and your problem goes unsolved. And similarly, when you report a problem via their computers, you pretty much just have to HOPE someone will come out and fix it. :|
Our Time Warner had quite a few screw ups too, but it wasn't requiring us to jump through telephone hoops to get it fixed.

The only high speed internet provider in my end of town right now IS Time Warner. Which we've had once. There's no DSL out here yet because it's just too small a place, I guess. But if we move even just down the street, I think we can get it.
oh wow, we've been lucky with our satellite. the weather has to be really bad for us to lose a signal. the one time it did go out was the last episode of arrested development :banghead: i had to watch it actually using the antenna on my tv, which of course i didn't connect because we had satellite. turns out, our dish just needed to be recalibrated. at least directv sends out people in a timely fashion :mad:

i hate dealing with tech support though, for any company. i certainly don't know it all, otherwise i wouldn't be calling, but they don't have to treat me like a moron either.

Wow, that's just daft. Here, they'd ask once, maybe even get you to do it for them, but never over and over again.

Also, I found that I would instantly get better service if instead of saying "yes, I've already done that", I'd say "yeah, I power-cycled the modem, left it off for 15 minutes and everything, and it still won't authenticate". I guess they realised they weren't talking to some person who can barely even turn their computer on, but somebody who could potentially call them out if they half-arse around.

oh wow, we've been lucky with our satellite. the weather has to be really bad for us to lose a signal. the one time it did go out was the last episode of arrested development :banghead: i had to watch it actually using the antenna on my tv, which of course i didn't connect because we had satellite. turns out, our dish just needed to be recalibrated. at least directv sends out people in a timely fashion :mad:

i hate dealing with tech support though, for any company. i certainly don't know it all, otherwise i wouldn't be calling, but they don't have to treat me like a moron either.
Ours doesn't normally. But every now and again, a simple breeze it seems is all it takes to lose the signal! It usually does have to be pretty bad for it to really go out but it will do so briefly when it's barely raining. Pain in the arse. And the phone thing just makes me so angry. Last time it happened, was for FOUR days. :angry:

I do too. They think that just because they are tech support, that they by default, know more than you do. I think unplugging a modem or rebooting is common sense.

"Ugh...all you had to do was rewire the circuitry, solder the thing back together, manually establish a connection by punching in a code that only we know, and plug the system into a particular surge protector that we sell...duh. What do you need us for?"

Wow, that's just daft. Here, they'd ask once, maybe even get you to do it for them, but never over and over again.

Also, I found that I would instantly get better service if instead of saying "yes, I've already done that", I'd say "yeah, I power-cycled the modem, left it off for 15 minutes and everything, and it still won't authenticate". I guess they realised they weren't talking to some person who can barely even turn their computer on, but somebody who could potentially call them out if they half-arse around.
i wish that'd happen with comcast. i can understand them maybe thinking you're lying about having already tried it, but surely once they pull up your account they can see your service log, and see you frequently call in with the same problem, and take your word for it. or maybe i'm wrong in assuming tech support agents have any sort of information on hand :shrug:

"Ugh...all you had to do was rewire the circuitry, solder the thing back together, manually establish a connection by punching in a code that only we know, and plug the system into a particular surge protector that we sell...DUH."
:lol:

So my little brother wanted me to sing him a song before he fell asleep...then another, and another. After a while I ran out of little kid songs, so I ended up singing him pretty much the entire Joshua Tree (well what I could remember of the lyrics). He fell asleep around WOWY, but everytime I'd move to get up, he'd wake up again, so another song. :laugh:

Ours doesn't normally. But every now and again, a simple breeze it seems is all it takes to lose the signal! It usually does have to be pretty bad for it to really go out but it will do so briefly when it's barely raining. Pain in the arse. And the phone thing just makes me so angry. Last time it happened, was for FOUR days. :angry:

I do too. They think that just because they are tech support, that they by default, know more than you do. I think unplugging a modem or rebooting is common sense.
four days?! :mad: ooh, i'd be livid.

and yeah. i mean, what if you worked in tech support for the same company, but you were off that day? not everyone's a moron. just most :wink:

Ugh, fuck that. When I moved to Melbourne, I suddenly lost the dialtone just after my DSL was connected. Entire phone line down. Called Telstra on my mobile. This woman who barely seemed to have a clue and took ages to realise I was even an existing customer made me do the silliest things before she was able to get it through her head that the line was totally DEAD and she should send a technician - in six fucking days.

By some bizarre stroke of luck, after going out for two hours, I came home to find the phone line was working again. I'm guessing the woman I spoke to was too dim to check if there was maintenance or a scheduled outage or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom