Shades of Death Road, New Jersey Superthread - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2008, 01:32 AM   #796
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Vox View Post
Yep, our satellite cuts out all the time, even when it doesn't rain and our phone loves to play "lose the dial tone". In which case, meaning I can't connect to the internet either. And calling them for tech support is even more of a hassle because they transfer to 74258973498237589 people that you can't fucking understand and your problem goes unsolved. And similarly, when you report a problem via their computers, you pretty much just have to HOPE someone will come out and fix it.
Our Time Warner had quite a few screw ups too, but it wasn't requiring us to jump through telephone hoops to get it fixed.

The only high speed internet provider in my end of town right now IS Time Warner. Which we've had once. There's no DSL out here yet because it's just too small a place, I guess. But if we move even just down the street, I think we can get it.
oh wow, we've been lucky with our satellite. the weather has to be really bad for us to lose a signal. the one time it did go out was the last episode of arrested development i had to watch it actually using the antenna on my tv, which of course i didn't connect because we had satellite. turns out, our dish just needed to be recalibrated. at least directv sends out people in a timely fashion

i hate dealing with tech support though, for any company. i certainly don't know it all, otherwise i wouldn't be calling, but they don't have to treat me like a moron either.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #797
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

night pfan
hey ian

Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 AM   #798
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
oh and comcast's tech support. let's see...

"our service is down. the light on the modem is flashing"
"okay, unplug the modem and reboot your computer"
"i've already tried that"
"okay. unplug the modem and reboot your computer"
*wondering how that will fix anything* "fine...okay still the light flashes"
"how will doing this for the fifth time magically fix it? the signal needs to be resent. works every time"

i swear the tech support agents acted like it cost them money to send signals to our modem. i know they have scripts to go through, but doing the same thing ten times will always yield identical results.
Wow, that's just daft. Here, they'd ask once, maybe even get you to do it for them, but never over and over again.

Also, I found that I would instantly get better service if instead of saying "yes, I've already done that", I'd say "yeah, I power-cycled the modem, left it off for 15 minutes and everything, and it still won't authenticate". I guess they realised they weren't talking to some person who can barely even turn their computer on, but somebody who could potentially call them out if they half-arse around.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 AM   #799
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
oh wow, we've been lucky with our satellite. the weather has to be really bad for us to lose a signal. the one time it did go out was the last episode of arrested development i had to watch it actually using the antenna on my tv, which of course i didn't connect because we had satellite. turns out, our dish just needed to be recalibrated. at least directv sends out people in a timely fashion

i hate dealing with tech support though, for any company. i certainly don't know it all, otherwise i wouldn't be calling, but they don't have to treat me like a moron either.
Ours doesn't normally. But every now and again, a simple breeze it seems is all it takes to lose the signal! It usually does have to be pretty bad for it to really go out but it will do so briefly when it's barely raining. Pain in the arse. And the phone thing just makes me so angry. Last time it happened, was for FOUR days.

I do too. They think that just because they are tech support, that they by default, know more than you do. I think unplugging a modem or rebooting is common sense.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 AM   #800
The Male

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Quote:
"Ugh...all you had to do was rewire the circuitry, solder the thing back together, manually establish a connection by punching in a code that only we know, and plug the system into a particular surge protector that we sell...duh. What do you need us for?"

Now.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 AM   #801
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 PM
I just got back from seeing some fad movie.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 AM   #802
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Rebooting does help a large percentage of the time, but you shouldn't have to do it more than once. That's just stupid.
exactly. i don't get how repeating it will make things turn out differently.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #803
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
My respect for you just dropped faster than Jen's purity score after high school graduation.

Now.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #804
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Wow, that's just daft. Here, they'd ask once, maybe even get you to do it for them, but never over and over again.

Also, I found that I would instantly get better service if instead of saying "yes, I've already done that", I'd say "yeah, I power-cycled the modem, left it off for 15 minutes and everything, and it still won't authenticate". I guess they realised they weren't talking to some person who can barely even turn their computer on, but somebody who could potentially call them out if they half-arse around.
i wish that'd happen with comcast. i can understand them maybe thinking you're lying about having already tried it, but surely once they pull up your account they can see your service log, and see you frequently call in with the same problem, and take your word for it. or maybe i'm wrong in assuming tech support agents have any sort of information on hand

Quote:
"Ugh...all you had to do was rewire the circuitry, solder the thing back together, manually establish a connection by punching in a code that only we know, and plug the system into a particular surge protector that we sell...DUH."
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #805
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
My respect for you just dropped faster than Jen's purity score after high school graduation.
*tries not to laugh, phails*
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #806
Blue Crack Distributor

So my little brother wanted me to sing him a song before he fell asleep...then another, and another. After a while I ran out of little kid songs, so I ended up singing him pretty much the entire Joshua Tree (well what I could remember of the lyrics). He fell asleep around WOWY, but everytime I'd move to get up, he'd wake up again, so another song.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #807
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Ours doesn't normally. But every now and again, a simple breeze it seems is all it takes to lose the signal! It usually does have to be pretty bad for it to really go out but it will do so briefly when it's barely raining. Pain in the arse. And the phone thing just makes me so angry. Last time it happened, was for FOUR days.

I do too. They think that just because they are tech support, that they by default, know more than you do. I think unplugging a modem or rebooting is common sense.
four days?! ooh, i'd be livid.

and yeah. i mean, what if you worked in tech support for the same company, but you were off that day? not everyone's a moron. just most
Old 07-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #808
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Yep, our satellite cuts out all the time, even when it doesn't rain and our phone loves to play "lose the dial tone". In which case, meaning I can't connect to the internet either. And calling them for tech support is even more of a hassle because they transfer to 74258973498237589 people that you can't fucking understand and your problem goes unsolved. And similarly, when you report a problem via their computers, you pretty much just have to HOPE someone will come out and fix it.
Ugh, fuck that. When I moved to Melbourne, I suddenly lost the dialtone just after my DSL was connected. Entire phone line down. Called Telstra on my mobile. This woman who barely seemed to have a clue and took ages to realise I was even an existing customer made me do the silliest things before she was able to get it through her head that the line was totally DEAD and she should send a technician - in six fucking days.

By some bizarre stroke of luck, after going out for two hours, I came home to find the phone line was working again. I'm guessing the woman I spoke to was too dim to check if there was maintenance or a scheduled outage or anything.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #809
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #810
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I thought it was already close to rockbottom then.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread