Sexy Peak, Idaho Superthread - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #586
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I certainly understand how America can seem bizarre in some aspects, but then again most countries seem bizarre to others in some ways.

As much as America fucks up some shit, there are a lot of good things about it. And I'm not leaving, all my family and friends are here, so I just have to deal.
It's not that it seems bizarre, but that it seems to do things wrong, to ruin things, and so forth. I mean, why even touch the spelling of English? I wish one day I could decipher my reaction to America properly. I never used to be negative towards it. In fact, I was pretty pro-American until I got online. Surprising, I know.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #587
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
That's cool. No plans for when she rocks back home? Y'know, start with hanging out more and see where it goes from there, sorta thing?
Yeah, I plan on trying to make some plans with her, but, you know, it's easier said than done. We've never hung out too much outside of school, so it'll be interesting to see if that starts happening more frequently. If it does, I think it's a good sign.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #588
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I was fucked from the outset:
1. I took a year off.
2. Only a couple of people from my school went to university in Brisbane, let alone at UQ. I heard one or two were at UQ but I never saw them. Everybody else stayed at the hick unis on the Gold Coast.
3. NONE of my friends went straight to uni. There was a group of four of us, myself included. Sam tried to join the Air Force, then did odd jobs and is now starting uni this year. Aaron's done non-uni tertiary courses and isn't quite clear on where he's going. Jamie spent a year in England and then went to Toowoomba because it was the only uni he could get into.
4. I then moved to Melbourne.
In a totally not-funny-at-all-way,

AXVER'S SOCIAL LIFE = OWNED

Just had to do it.

Trust me, I sympathise with you heaps. It's the opposite for me with friends from high school going to uni, except they now all mostly ignore me having made friends of their own and discovering girls.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #589
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Yeah, I plan on trying to make some plans with her, but, you know, it's easier said than done. We've never hung out too much outside of school, so it'll be interesting to see if that starts happening more frequently. If it does, I think it's a good sign.
I guess the hard thing then will be putting it to her in a not-very-mildly-suspicious way that you want to hang out, but don't necessarily want to hop into a relationship.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #590
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It's not that it seems bizarre, but that it seems to do things wrong, to ruin things, and so forth. I mean, why even touch the spelling of English? I wish one day I could decipher my reaction to America properly. I never used to be negative towards it. In fact, I was pretty pro-American until I got online. Surprising, I know.
The spelling of English thing is from hundreds of years ago.

I think America, as of recently, has fucked a lot of shit up, you know, with Iraq, with burning a lot of bridges, etc. I think of the southern US seceded from the northern US, everyone would be happier.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #591
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I think America, as of recently, has fucked a lot of shit up, you know, with Iraq, with burning a lot of bridges, etc. I think of the southern US seceded from the northern US, everyone would be happier.
That would be made of SuperWin, yes. It'd also be quite hilarious.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #592
Vocal parasite

Quote:
In a totally not-funny-at-all-way,

AXVER'S SOCIAL LIFE = OWNED

Just had to do it.
It's true - it had to be said!

Quote:
Trust me, I sympathise with you heaps. It's the opposite for me with friends from high school going to uni, except they now all mostly ignore me having made friends of their own and discovering girls.
Ugh, I hate it when that happens. I really value Jamie's friendship; despite all our time apart, we're closer friends now than we've ever been and we both go to great effort to see each other. Sam, however ... he was a seriously close friend once, but now he seems far more interested in his church group. What's that I smell, another feel-good mission trip?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #593
Vocal parasite

Quote:
The spelling of English thing is from hundreds of years ago.

Eh, I still maintain you guys royally fucked up there. It's called the Oxford English Dictionary, and until 1993 when they decided -ize should have the same standing as -ise, it told you everything you needed to know about English. Fuck Webster.

I'd totally be cool if the South seceded. Or fell into the sea. That'd be even better. The northeast didn't seem so bad. I mean, I'd take Boston over Sydney or Brisbane any day of the week.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #594
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

That would be made of SuperWin, yes. It'd also be quite hilarious.
Well, the south would probably be fucked considering everyone in the world could hate them without conscious anymore. The conservatives would move down there, the liberals stay up here, and that would be that. The levels of respect would make sense: we'd get more, they'd get less.

We'll be the United States of America, they can be Jesusland.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #595
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Ugh, I hate it when that happens. I really value Jamie's friendship; despite all our time apart, we're closer friends now than we've ever been and we both go to great effort to see each other. Sam, however ... he was a seriously close friend once, but now he seems far more interested in his church group. What's that I smell, another feel-good mission trip?
I get the thing about missions trips, but at least they help people out, even if it does cost aforementioned people an earful of religion that they might or might not be prepared to accept. But yeah, they help people out a lot of the time, which is more than most can say for themselves

It does seem to become a more inward-focused and congratulatory thing though. "Hey look, we helped starving kids in India, aren't we great?"
Old 03-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #596
Vocal parasite

Fuck, guys, I'm going to need to go if I want to meet Ali and Melissa tomorrow. I need some decent sleep.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #597
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
We'll be the United States of America, they can be Jesusland.
More like Jebusland. I apply the term "Christian" to them very, very, very hesitantly.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #598
Blue Crack Supplier

I was gonna try to get some MP3s off you until I saw what time you were still up at.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #599
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Fuck, guys, I'm going to need to go if I want to meet Ali and Melissa tomorrow. I need some decent sleep.
Good thinking. I've been telling myself that I should go soon, but I'm not tired at all. I should probably just sleep anyway though.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #600
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I get the thing about missions trips, but at least they help people out, even if it does cost aforementioned people an earful of religion that they might or might not be prepared to accept. But yeah, they help people out a lot of the time, which is more than most can say for themselves

It does seem to become a more inward-focused and congratulatory thing though. "Hey look, we helped starving kids in India, aren't we great?"
I am being a bit hard on Sam because his mission trips do sound like they've done a fair amount of good and weren't overloaded with religion. I don't appreciate that he's quite happy to push that as his little bit of righteousness that trumps everything else though.

And my high school's mission trips were just self-congratulatory crap that did almost nothing for anybody. All the stories without fail were not about how somebody was helped or some place improved, but about how good a time the group had and all the fun things they did together. You got a sense they were only in it for a weekend of fun, with a veneer of meaningfulness.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread