Sexy Peak, Idaho Superthread - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #571
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I think the reference to "school" is because college has become more and more of a requirement now. It's not as big a deal to go to college, it's expected more than it used to.

I think there are a number of things Americans are wrong on. I don't think them referring to university as school is one of them.
Oh, this is another thing that drives me nuts, but there's a good reason (for a change?). In New Zealand, 'college' is the word for high school (and I've noticed almost every private high school in Australia is Something College too). I've been online for years and it STILL confuses the shit out of me when Americans use it to mean university. Haven't gotten used to it yet.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #572
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Oh, this is another thing that drives me nuts, but there's a good reason (for a change?). In New Zealand, 'college' is the word for high school (and I've noticed almost every private high school in Australia is Something College too). I've been online for years and it STILL confuses the shit out of me when Americans use it to mean university. Haven't gotten used to it yet.
Totally agreed on that one. AFAIK America's the only place that calls university "college", apart from Malaysia, right?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #573
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:50 AM
I really don't want to have to go through this thread defending everything about America. It is what it is, I live here, I deal with it.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #574
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Do what Ax and I do, and find fulfillment in debating over the internet. It's one of the only places you'll be able to find people who'll match your intellectual capacity.

I know for sure that in my circle of friends, I'm just about the only one who actually thinks things through carefully, and thinks long and deep about theology, life and philosophy. So it's kinda hard to talk about it to anyone.

University people are a bit meh, I've found that everyone already has friends and the weird Asian guy just gets ignored.
Quoted for truth. All of it, except replace 'weird Asian guy' with 'weird nerdy guy'. I love being intellectually challenged but it so rarely happens offline ... sigh.

I also love how everybody says "people don't really know that many others in uni so they all want to make friends!" Yeah, that totally explains why whenever I walk into new courses, there's already people hanging around in little groups and cliques while I'm just sitting there by myself ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #575
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Totally agreed on that one. AFAIK America's the only place that calls university "college", apart from Malaysia, right?
Yeah, I believe its usage in the US is fairly unique.

But considering US English isn't really worthy of being called English, I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #576
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I really don't want to have to go through this thread defending everything about America. It is what it is, I live here, I deal with it.
Fair enough. You do know that you're an honorary Australian / Kiwi, right?

And don't mind Ax and I, we just have this... thing against America.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #577
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I know I knock the place too much. I promise you, I don't go out of my way to find things I don't like. I don't quite get why the US does such a job of pissing me off, in a way totally unlike any other country.

I do feel bad about it, you know.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #578
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I also love how everybody says "people don't really know that many others in uni so they all want to make friends!"
I believed in this from when I graduated up till I started attending university, to the point of not really hanging out much with my friends from high school when I saw them at uni, just to make some new friends.

Turns out that everyone else had a different idea. Too bad, old chap, go and be lonely somewhere else.

So I joined the wushu club, and it's slightly better since. I still hang out by myself at uni, though. Doesn't help that I'm not the naturally friendly type unless I really try.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #579
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I know I knock the place too much. I promise you, I don't go out of my way to find things I don't like. I don't quite get why the US does such a job of pissing me off, in a way totally unlike any other country.

I do feel bad about it, you know.
What he said.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #580
Blue Crack Supplier

I certainly understand how America can seem bizarre in some aspects, but then again most countries seem bizarre to others in some ways.

As much as America fucks up some shit, there are a lot of good things about it. And I'm not leaving, all my family and friends are here, so I just have to deal.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #581
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hey PFan, how's the girl thing going, by the way?

And don't feel obliged to answer if you don't want to, just curious.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #582
Blue Crack Supplier

She's going to Italy for Spring Break, so there won't be any updates for about a week and a half.

However, I'll be home all week, so I might be here more.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #583
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I believed in this from when I graduated up till I started attending university, to the point of not really hanging out much with my friends from high school when I saw them at uni, just to make some new friends.

Turns out that everyone else had a different idea. Too bad, old chap, go and be lonely somewhere else.

So I joined the wushu club, and it's slightly better since.
I was fucked from the outset:
1. I took a year off.
2. Only a couple of people from my school went to university in Brisbane, let alone at UQ. I heard one or two were at UQ but I never saw them. Everybody else stayed at the hick unis on the Gold Coast.
3. NONE of my friends went straight to uni. There was a group of four of us, myself included. Sam tried to join the Air Force, then did odd jobs and is now starting uni this year. Aaron's done non-uni tertiary courses and isn't quite clear on where he's going. Jamie spent a year in England and then went to Toowoomba because it was the only uni he could get into.
4. I then moved to Melbourne.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #584
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

That's cool. No plans for when she rocks back home? Y'know, start with hanging out more and see where it goes from there, sorta thing?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #585
Blue Crack Supplier

Just downloaded those couple of MP3's, Axver.

Tags
superthread