Sexy Peak, Idaho Superthread - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #556
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

I don't think that IQ's a really great indicator of anything, but last I checked mine was between 125 and 130, but not on a proper test. I haven't done a proper IQ test since, well, they went out of fashion a while back.
Yeah, I generally consider IQ tests to be fairly worthless, and my original phrasing of the question was more sarcastic, but I couldn't quite get it to make sense. Pee Fan will know what I'm referencing in his LJ that made me curious.

If you're going to invest meaning in the number though, 125-130 is pretty good all the same. Really, beyond 150, I think it becomes fairly meaningless anyway. I'm not about to feel inferior if somebody comes along and says "oooh, I'm 181, take that!"

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #557
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:51 PM
It's about how you use it that matters. Currently, most of mine's not being used well, so what's the difference?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #558
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'm not worried about the uni being able to handle it, I'm worried about our intellectual capacities (mine mostly) being overwhelmed.

And yeah, I'm really looking forward to it to. Terrorism won't know what hit it, ha.
Heh, you study the stuff, so I fully expect you to own me. I'm just casually interested! I'm not even THAT widely theologically read. Much of it is just my own trains of thought, bouncing around off the tracks.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #559
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
If you're going to invest meaning in the number though, 125-130 is pretty good all the same. Really, beyond 150, I think it becomes fairly meaningless anyway. I'm not about to feel inferior if somebody comes along and says "oooh, I'm 181, take that!"
"It's all about the drooms"...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #560
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
It's about how you use it that matters. Currently, most of mine's not being used well, so what's the difference?
I fully relate to the position you're in though, especially now that I know your IQ is roughly mine. It does provide helpful context in that sense.

I'd say I hope you at least find some fulfillment in university, but Australian universities have struggled to satisfy me as it is, and American universities sound like they'd send me insane ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #561
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Heh, you study the stuff, so I fully expect you to own me. I'm just casually interested! I'm not even THAT widely theologically read. Much of it is just my own trains of thought, bouncing around off the tracks.
I, ah, don't read much theologically. I prefer to reach my own conclusions before referencing others. That being said, I do learn stuff in lectures...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #562
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, I'm a bit more social than you are, so American universities should do me alright.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #563
Vocal parasite

Quote:
That being said, I do learn stuff in lectures...
My point exactly. And you probably have more of a grasp on theoretical matters than I do. I stumble around for terminology sometimes too ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #564
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Well, I'm a bit more social than you are, so American universities should do me alright.
I mean in their academic structure. It sounds maddening. Some of it sounds like just an extension of high school. No wonder you guys refer to it as 'school'. I hate when Americans ask me how 'school' is going. I want to snap back that "I FINISHED SCHOOL IN 2004, HOW OLD DO YOU THINK I AM?!"

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #565
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I fully relate to the position you're in though, especially now that I know your IQ is roughly mine. It does provide helpful context in that sense.

I'd say I hope you at least find some fulfillment in university, but Australian universities have struggled to satisfy me as it is, and American universities sound like they'd send me insane ...
Do what Ax and I do, and find fulfillment in debating over the internet. It's one of the only places you'll be able to find people who'll match your intellectual capacity.

I know for sure that in my circle of friends, I'm just about the only one who actually thinks things through carefully, and thinks long and deep about theology, life and philosophy. So it's kinda hard to talk about it to anyone.

University people are a bit meh, I've found that everyone already has friends and the weird Asian guy just gets ignored.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #566
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

My point exactly. And you probably have more of a grasp on theoretical matters than I do. I stumble around for terminology sometimes too ...
I will admit, I love being able to say things like "proselytise" and "glossolalia" and having people go "what?" in reply.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #567
Blue Crack Supplier

I think the reference to "school" is because college has become more and more of a requirement now. It's not as big a deal to go to college, it's expected more than it used to.

I think there are a number of things Americans are wrong on. I don't think them referring to university as school is one of them.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #568
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
If they're anything like what the movies portray, I'd rather hang myself with a series of tied-together and reinforced rubber bands whilst downing a bottle of sleeping pills.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #569
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I think the reference to "school" is because college has become more and more of a requirement now. It's not as big a deal to go to college, it's expected more than it used to.
You mean it wasn't actually a requirement for serious professional work before? *horrified*
Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #570
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Way to slow down on posting, guys.

Tags
superthread