Sexuality and the Showoff - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Sexuality and the Showoff

Question. (or two)

Are people who are attracted to men, attracted to showoffs? I am personally not.

I'm a little bewildered that some people are starting to find Adam Clayton, of the Irish/UK pop combo U2, attractive. He has made a few minor alterations to his appearance in recent years but nothing major. Besides the pics of Adam without glasses and with straight teeth were available for public consumption last year. It's really only been since the Vertigo tour commenced that Adams popularity has escalated. Why is this? Is this because Adam has been showing off on this tour? Adam looks pretty much the same as he did last year except this year he is suddenly attractive. Don't get me wrong. Some people may find this difficult to believe but I find Mr Clayton devilish handsome myself.

My question : Are men who are showoffs/the class clown etc more attractive than the cool quiet guy? Discuss, explore, extrapolate.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Hard to believe that I'm the first one responding.

Personally, I think that showing off is often percieved as confidence, which a lot of people find extremely sexy. Being a showoff myself, I find that showoffs are kinda sexy... until they upstage me, that is.

And for the record, I've been attracted to Adam long before the tour started, and prefer him with glasses.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:58 PM
i don't really try to be showoffy, but i always try to be funny. i only get real ostentatious on stage.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:03 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
I'm attracted to confidence and some level of extrovertedness, but not cockiness or narcissism. Depends on the man and his motivation for showing off. A lot of times, guys act immature and show off to cover up for low self esteem, in which case it's a total turn off. I'm more of an introvert so I like guys that are friendly, bubbly, out-going, funny, but not annoying and cocky. For me, it all boils down to respect. If you show effort to respect yourself, respect me and respect others, I'm interested. If you're all balls, no brains, and cling to the "I don't give a shit about anything or anyone" attitude, grow up or bugger off.

For the record, I've never been physically attracted to Adam and his new persona hasn't really changed the way I think of him (which doesn't even sound right, b/c I don't think of him beyond being the bass player of U2).
Old 09-11-2005, 01:06 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Being funny is different to being a showoff. By showoff I mean "Look at me! me! me!" type attitude. Like Bono does. And Robin Williams (Robin is funny as well as a showoff).

Also, I dont perceive showoffs to be confident. My opinon is the opposite - that showoffs are lacking confidence and self esteem and are thus not attractive. Maybe attractive in a "I want to mother" them way but not a "I want to bonk" way.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:11 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 01:58 PM
I'm more attracted to guys who are comfortable in themselves, and if that comfort comes out as confidence or makes them seem like a show-off, I really couldn't care less.

btw, Beli, I hope you're not implying that Robin Williams is at all attractive?
Old 09-11-2005, 01:11 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

Also, I dont perceive showoffs to be confident. My opinon is the opposite - that showoffs are lacking confidence and self esteem and are thus not attractive. Maybe attractive in a "I want to mother" them way but not a "I want to bonk" way.

i believe the correct term is 'boink'
Old 09-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Meghan, I sometimes do find Robin Williams attractive but thats a whole other story.

Discotheque, in Australia we say bonk. People in the USA say boink. Boink here is a cartoon noise like someones had a car dropped on their head and it bounces - boink!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:18 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:58 PM

Quote:
Being funny is different to being a showoff. By showoff I mean "Look at me! me! me!" type attitude. Like Bono does. And Robin Williams (Robin is funny as well as a showoff).
The first time I read that I thought it said Robbie Williams... who I thought would have been a perfect example.

Just for the record. I never have, nor never will be attracted to Adam Clayton.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Forget I mentioned Adam Clayton. He was just an example.

Robbie Williams is indeed a perfect example. He is funny as well as being a showoff. I find him and his abs attractive, personally. Hangon theres a pattern forming here. Please ignore me whilst I analyse myself.........
Old 09-11-2005, 01:29 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 PM
I've noticed I'm usually attracted to men with big egos, and several of them were definitely show-offs (two were opposite ends of the spectrum- one a weight lifter, the other an ice dancer, incidentally), so I support your theory!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:30 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Meghan, I sometimes do find Robin Williams attractive but thats a whole other story.
And to think I thought highly of you once.....

At least you know you won't get any competition for Robin.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:39 AM   #13
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:58 PM
No. Adam Clayton and others like him would not drive Holdens. What has this got to do with Show Offs? Good question. I dont know. But I hate Holden drivers and show offs. They seem to go hand in hand though, as men who drive Holdens have relataively small penises and are so involved in their personality complexes, that they have lost the ability to be attractive.

Adam would drive a Ford. End of my scientific research into why men are the missing link.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:39 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

hehehe. . . it's funny how you mentioned Bono and Robin Williams. . .
Old 09-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Hi beli!