Sexuality and the Showoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
Question. (or two)

Are people who are attracted to men, attracted to showoffs? I am personally not.

I'm a little bewildered that some people are starting to find Adam Clayton, of the Irish/UK pop combo U2, attractive. He has made a few minor alterations to his appearance in recent years but nothing major. Besides the pics of Adam without glasses and with straight teeth were available for public consumption last year. It's really only been since the Vertigo tour commenced that Adams popularity has escalated. Why is this? Is this because Adam has been showing off on this tour? Adam looks pretty much the same as he did last year except this year he is suddenly attractive. Don't get me wrong. Some people may find this difficult to believe but I find Mr Clayton devilish handsome myself.

My question : Are men who are showoffs/the class clown etc more attractive than the cool quiet guy? Discuss, explore, extrapolate.

Hard to believe that I'm the first one responding.

Personally, I think that showing off is often percieved as confidence, which a lot of people find extremely sexy. Being a showoff myself, I find that showoffs are kinda sexy... until they upstage me, that is.

And for the record, I've been attracted to Adam long before the tour started, and prefer him with glasses.

I'm attracted to confidence and some level of extrovertedness, but not cockiness or narcissism. Depends on the man and his motivation for showing off. A lot of times, guys act immature and show off to cover up for low self esteem, in which case it's a total turn off. I'm more of an introvert so I like guys that are friendly, bubbly, out-going, funny, but not annoying and cocky. For me, it all boils down to respect. If you show effort to respect yourself, respect me and respect others, I'm interested. If you're all balls, no brains, and cling to the "I don't give a shit about anything or anyone" attitude, grow up or bugger off. :shrug:

For the record, I've never been physically attracted to Adam and his new persona hasn't really changed the way I think of him (which doesn't even sound right, b/c I don't think of him beyond being the bass player of U2).

Being funny is different to being a showoff. By showoff I mean "Look at me! me! me!" type attitude. Like Bono does. And Robin Williams (Robin is funny as well as a showoff).

Also, I dont perceive showoffs to be confident. My opinon is the opposite - that showoffs are lacking confidence and self esteem and are thus not attractive. Maybe attractive in a "I want to mother" them way but not a "I want to bonk" way.

I'm more attracted to guys who are comfortable in themselves, and if that comfort comes out as confidence or makes them seem like a show-off, I really couldn't care less.

btw, Beli, I hope you're not implying that Robin Williams is at all attractive? :eyebrow: :wink:

beli said:

Also, I dont perceive showoffs to be confident. My opinon is the opposite - that showoffs are lacking confidence and self esteem and are thus not attractive. Maybe attractive in a "I want to mother" them way but not a "I want to bonk" way.

i believe the correct term is 'boink' :wink:

Meghan, I sometimes do find Robin Williams attractive but thats a whole other story.

Discotheque, in Australia we say bonk. People in the USA say boink. Boink here is a cartoon noise like someones had a car dropped on their head and it bounces - boink! :wink:

beli said:
Being funny is different to being a showoff. By showoff I mean "Look at me! me! me!" type attitude. Like Bono does. And Robin Williams (Robin is funny as well as a showoff).

The first time I read that I thought it said Robbie Williams... who I thought would have been a perfect example.

Just for the record. I never have, nor never will be attracted to Adam Clayton.

Forget I mentioned Adam Clayton. He was just an example.

Robbie Williams is indeed a perfect example. He is funny as well as being a showoff. I find him and his abs attractive, personally. Hangon theres a pattern forming here. Please ignore me whilst I analyse myself.........

I've noticed I'm usually attracted to men with big egos, and several of them were definitely show-offs (two were opposite ends of the spectrum- one a weight lifter, the other an ice dancer, incidentally), so I support your theory!

beli said:
Meghan, I sometimes do find Robin Williams attractive but thats a whole other story.
:shame: And to think I thought highly of you once..... :tsk: :wink:

At least you know you won't get any competition for Robin. :giggle:

No. Adam Clayton and others like him would not drive Holdens. What has this got to do with Show Offs? Good question. I dont know. But I hate Holden drivers and show offs. They seem to go hand in hand though, as men who drive Holdens have relataively small penises and are so involved in their personality complexes, that they have lost the ability to be attractive.

Adam would drive a Ford. End of my scientific research into why men are the missing link.

the biggest show off on interference is deathbear and nobody is attracted to him :shrug:

IMO, it's quite simple :

Confidence is sexy.

Showing off is pathetic.

:)

I don't think Adam has been showing off this tour, but he's simply looking confident and happy to be up there playing.

he looks like he is having fun and really enjoying it
that s what I find sexy :)
In the pictures he looks always rather *not there* and regarding prettines I suppose th eother guys outshine him a bit. However, live itis a total different story

showoffs and attention seekers, egomaniacs = :down: I agree w/ you beli that in general many of those showoff types are lacking in self-esteem

I like quiet humble confidence, and vulnerability. Humility is extremely attractive to me. In general I find those are the more decent men too, more sensitive and all that..

I think Adam is cool :wink:

beli said:

Yeah, I think that's what I meant. However, I don't really see Bono as a show-off, at least not anymore. In his younger days, yes, but now....I dunno, he seems a lot more genuine in everything he does and less "I'm king of the world". Of course he's very energetic onstage, but that's merely his rock star persona. The times I've been fortunate enough to meet him at places/events having nothing to do with U2 or rock concerts, he's been very calm, polite, quiet, almost shy.

Robin Williams....I've always liked him as an actor, but not much as a person, so I supposed you're right on there.

I guess if you've got something to show off about, then show off. If you're funny, act like a clown. Bono jabbers a lot but he DOES have something to say, and even then, his voice is sexy- so he gets away with jabbering in my book. But if you're showing off only because it might get you more attention then that's not good.

And I've always liked Adam. I actually think that in some recent pictures his face is looking a bit... floppy. But he's still mad sexy, especially for his age :D

Adam's always been attractive to me, but in the past year you can tell he's gotten a bit more "swagger" in his step, if you will. You can definitely see it live, and I think fans are just noticing this and saying, "it's about time!". But, me personally, I don't like the show-offy type- cool, quiet confidence is best. :up:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Adam's always been attractive to me, but in the past year you can tell he's gotten a bit more "swagger" in his step, if you will. You can definitely see it live, and I think fans are just noticing this and saying, "it's about time!". But, me personally, I don't like the show-offy type- cool, quiet confidence is best. :up:

Thats fine that you prefer quieter guys, thats a preference, but it's quite offensive for people to say people lack self esteem if they are a bit more bolshy.

Back
Top Bottom