Sexbierum, Holland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DreamOutLoud13 said:
The Imperial March from Star Wars? :shrug:

I find that movie soundtracks, particularly scores, tend to be the very best thing to listen to while writing. The music can represent various moods, while not being obtrusive or distracting.

Although honestly, I rarely try to match the music to the piece I'm writing. Except maybe if I'm writing sex.

I using certain Star Wars themes to help write the noble and heroic parts.

I find music to be a very helpful tool. It brings out in the characters in me and allows them to write through me.

Screwtape2 said:
For everyone still here, I was wondering what you guys think is good music to listen to while writing for a villain?

Metal.

Varitek said:

you can totally just look like you're taking notes while you're posting.

I always wonder if the people I see in class with laptops are actually taking notes or just wasting time.

I mean, I sit there and look like I'm taking notes in my book, but I'm really just creating setlists or drawing railway maps or scribbling in the margins or whatever.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
The Imperial March from Star Wars? :shrug:

I find that movie soundtracks, particularly scores, tend to be the very best thing to listen to while writing. The music can represent various moods, while not being obtrusive or distracting.

Although honestly, I rarely try to match the music to the piece I'm writing. Except maybe if I'm writing sex.

Personally, for most writing, I simply choose something expansive and atmospheric like The Unforgettable Fire, Captive, Pure Reason Revolution, God Is An Astronaut, or Explosions In The Sky. I find it helps with creativity, probably because I find expansive, spectacular locations to be very inspiring and the music gives me at least something of the atmosphere being there.

Though if I'm writing something fast-paced or dark, I'll choose heavier music. Agalloch for example.

Screwtape2 said:

It doesn't matter. I just want something that sounds sinister and cold.

Agalloch's music always makes me think of traipsing through a dark, silent forest in Canada or the northwest US in the very darkest depths of winter. Might that be what you're looking for?

(Incidentally, Agalloch's latest release, The White EP, is not metal at all. No growls, no heavy riffage, nothing. It's like ... almost folk with the dark atmosphere of their metal.)

Oh, and have you ever tried apocalyptic neofolk? Sol Invictus's Lex Talionis might be good. Might still have it uploaded.

This song appears to be about coming back from the dead in order to exact revenge on your girlfriend for murdering you... or something.

I will avenge my ghost
With every breath I take

I'm coming back from the dead
And I'll take you home with me
I'm taking back the life you stole

This hole you put me in
Wasn't deep enough
And I'm climbing out right now
You're running out of places to hide from me

Axver said:

Agalloch's music always makes me think of traipsing through a dark, silent forest in Canada or the northwest US in the very darkest depths of winter. Might that be what you're looking for?

(Incidentally, Agalloch's latest release, The White EP, is not metal at all. No growls, no heavy riffage, nothing. It's like ... almost folk with the dark atmosphere of their metal.)

Oh, and have you ever tried apocalyptic neofolk? Sol Invictus's Lex Talionis might be good. Might still have it uploaded.

Agalloch sounds like what I'm looking for. I want the cold of the villain to clash with the warmth of the heroes. The winter sound is a good direction.

I honestly have never heard of neofolk.

Screwtape2 said:

Agalloch sounds like what I'm looking for. I want the cold of the villain to clash with the warmth of the heroes. The winter sound is a good direction.

I honestly have never heard of neofolk.

I tend to write to their debut, Pale Folklore, but their best album is probably The Mantle (which has the sprawling In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion, my favourite Agalloch song). But Pale Folklore has She Painted Fire Across The Skyline I-III, which has fuelled a lot of creativity.

Well, all I know is Sol Invictus; their music is based on folk but brings in some darker, industrial techniques and is quite bleak. One of Agalloch's primary influences, incidentally, and the motivation behind The White EP.

And this song seems to be from the perspective of a mass murderer who regrets what he's been doing:

Another knife in my hands
A stain that never comes off the sheets
Clean me off, I'm so dirty babe

The kind of dirty where the water never cleans off the clothes
I keep a book of the names and those
Only go so far to bury them
So deep and down we go

Axver said:

I tend to write to their debut, Pale Folklore, but their best album is probably The Mantle (which has the sprawling In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion, my favourite Agalloch song). But Pale Folklore has She Painted Fire Across The Skyline I-III, which has fuelled a lot of creativity.

Well, all I know is Sol Invictus; their music is based on folk but brings in some darker, industrial techniques and is quite bleak. One of Agalloch's primary influences, incidentally, and the motivation behind The White EP.

Thanks. I'm going to see what is out there on Youtube for Agalloch. :up:

Screwtape2 said:

Thanks. I'm going to see what is out there on Youtube for Agalloch. :up:

Last time I looked, I found some live footage of absolutely appalling quality. :laugh:

The music video for the radio edit of Not Unlike The Waves should be there.

Hush, I like heavy dark music, and some of these songs have simply hilarious themes. They're so ridiculous that they circle back into awesome.

But I've now switched to Evanescence. Stalker music for the win.

You belong to me, my snow white queen
There's nowhere to run, so let's just get it over
Soon I know you'll see, you're just like me
Don't scream anymore my love, 'cause all I want is you

bono_212 said:

NOOooooooooooooOoo!!!!! :scream:

Screwtape did a running diary of Born To Run, I slagged off TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH Avenue Freeze-Out, your signature got mentioned ...

Axver said:
I would consider MCR to be neither heavy nor dark. :wink:
Okay, I should say: heavier and darker than U2 :wink:

I hate when people say "Oh, you like U2? Then you'd like so-and-so." Usually Coldplay gets named. But I don't even know why the fuck I got to like U2, most of the other music I like is nothing like them. And I hate Coldplay.

Anyway, I'm on to the love songs now. Good Enough is a stunningly pretty song, with a gorgeous vocal:

Under your spell again
I can't say no to you
Crave my heart, and it's bleeding in your hand
I can't say no to you

Shouldn't let you torture me so sweetly
Now I can't let go of this dream
I can't breathe, but I feel good enough
I feel good enough, for you

Drink up sweet decadence
I can't say no to you
And I've completely lost myself and I don't mind
I can't say no to you

Shouldn't let you conquer me completely
Now I can't let go of this dream
Can't believe that I feel good enough
I feel good enough

It's been such a long time coming, but I feel good
And I'm still waiting for the rain to fall
Pour real life down on me
'Cause I can't hold on to anything this good, enough
Am I good enough for you to love me too?

So take care what you ask of me
I can't say no to you

I dare you to listen/watch :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSxoKQ_sWYY

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Okay, I should say: heavier and darker than U2 :wink:

I hate when people say "Oh, you like U2? Then you'd like so-and-so." Usually Coldplay gets named. But I don't even know why the fuck I got to like U2, most of the other music I like is nothing like them. And I hate Coldplay.

I love the "if you like U2, you'll like ..." things like that. It's as if some people are only familiar with Beautiful Day and ISHFWILF or whatever. Come on, people, The Fly? That's pretty rockin'.

I dare you to listen/watch :wink:

Some other time. :wink:

Axver said:

Screwtape did a running diary of Born To Run, I slagged off TENTH TENTH TENTH TENTH Avenue Freeze-Out, your signature got mentioned ...

I'll have to go find the conversation, when I am neither buzzed nor on my cell phone

Axver said:

I love the "if you like U2, you'll like ..." things like that. It's as if some people are only familiar with Beautiful Day and ISHFWILF or whatever. Come on, people, The Fly? That's pretty rockin'.

Last Night on Earth was U2's last rock song :sigh:

Varitek said:
this place has moved a little

my boyfriend and i are currently gchatting about this:
http://www.sextoysex.com/sex/start/view.html?a=sextoysdirect&pnum=PD8606-00
The real question here is: Does it come with the blue leg garter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom