Sexbierum, Holland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The album is noted for its use of introductions to set the tone of each song (all of the record was composed on piano, not guitar), and for the Phil Spector-like "Wall of Sound" arrangements and production. Indeed, Springsteen has said that he wanted "Born to Run" to sound like "Roy Orbison singing Bob Dylan, produced by Spector."

Screwtape2 said:
The sax in Jungleland is another reason why it is my favorite brass instrument.

I've always said that the sax does not belong in rock. Pink Floyd has proven it, Porcupine Tree has proven it, and indeed, Springsteen proves it.

Jungleland, with Thunder Road and Born to Run being a close second and third, respectively.

Ax, I really disagree about the sax on rock music. You're telling me that it doesn't work in Sheep, The Gunner's Dream, Us and Them, or Money? It's one of my favorite instruments, so I'm naturally biased.

Yeah, Screws, it's a woodwind.

Screwtape2 said:
I really liked this album. :up:

Thanks Khan.

Meeting Across The River is still my favorite of the album. What ended up being your favorite, Axver and LemonMacPhisto?

I don't recall any song in particular standing out strongly to me. In the majority of cases, I don't tend to develop clear favourite tracks until the third listen.

Screwtape2 said:
Axver, how do you come up with names for characters in your writing. I'm terrible at it. Any tips?

I usually take the first name of someone I know and the last name of a character from a film.

Screwtape2 said:

:hmm:

Andre Calrissian. :wink:

Seriously though that's a good suggestion. :up:

Glad it helps.

Last names are hard to come up with, for me at least.

Screwtape2 said:
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out sounds really dated with the piano part and sax. It is probably a lot better live.

'Tis. Springsteen Live from the Hammersmith Odeon '75 is a great show that was just released a few years ago.

Screwtape2 said:
The intro to Backstreets is quite beautiful. Was it this keyboardist that died recently? I hope not I really like him.

No. He played organs and keyboard. The pianist is Roy Bittan, AKA The Professor. He also played piano on Bowie's Station to Station and Scary Monsters albums.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Ax, I really disagree about the sax on rock music. You're telling me that it doesn't work in Sheep, The Gunner's Dream, Us and Them, or Money? It's one of my favorite instruments, so I'm naturally biased.

I'm telling you that it is either unnecessary or obnoxious. I cannot think of a single rock song that has ever benefited from the inclusion of saxophone. Every song feels like it would be just fine without the sax, and in numerous cases it would be quite better (looking at you, Don't Hate Me by Porcupine Tree).

Screwtape2 said:
LemonMacPhisto, who produced this record?

Springsteen, Jon Landau, and Mike Appel.

Appel was Springsteen's manager through the first three albums, but once Springsteen met Landau, during the Born to Run sessions, he preferred him to Appel. After the album, Appel and Springsteen got into a long court battle, and, as part of the contract he was trying to leave, he couldn't get into the studio till it was over: hence why Darkness wasn't until 1978. Born to Run had a lengthy tour for the same reason.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Jungleland, with Thunder Road and Born to Run being a close second and third, respectively.

Yeah, Screws, it's a woodwind.

Agreed. The sax definitely has its time and place. Us and Them is ten times better for it, as a PF example.

Screwtape2 said:
Axver, how do you come up with names for characters in your writing. I'm terrible at it. Any tips?

I've always sucked at it too. When I was younger, I would use really exotic and unusual first names coupled with last names I randomly invented, hence Amak Axver, Zinzan Weque, Zemfira Vixz.

Nowadays, I tend to use first names that although well known, aren't too common, and steal last names from New Zealand towns or famous people. Last names I've used in my latest project like Kyeburn and Earnscleugh are places in Central Otago.

I rank Born to Run:

1. Jungleland
2. Backstreets
3. Thunder Road
4. Born to Run
5. She's the One
6. Meeting Across the River
7. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
8. Night

But I love them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.