Sex Pistols snub US Hall of Fame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
[q] BBC NEWS
Sex Pistols snub US Hall of Fame
Punk band the Sex Pistols have refused to attend their own induction into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In a handwritten note posted on their website, they called the institution "urine in wine".

"We're not your monkeys, we're not coming. You're not paying attention," continued the statement.

The band, named as inductees alongside Blondie, Herb Alpert and Black Sabbath, were due to take part in an induction ceremony in New York on 13 March.

Executive director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, Susan Evans, said: "They are being the outrageous punksters they are, and that's rock 'n' roll."

'Old famous'

The note further criticised the Hall of Fame for offering "fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery".

It further claimed that the money "goes to a non-profit organisation, selling us a load of old famous".

A Hall of Fame representative said each inductee gets two free tickets, with additional ones costing $2,500 (£1,432).

The group's letter acknowledged that the organisation's judges are anonymous, but denounced them as "music industry people".

Pistols lead singer Johnny Rotten once famously derided the rock 'n' roll institution as "a place where old rockers go to die", dubbing it the "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame".

The Sex Pistols' notorious hits from the late 1970s include Pretty Vacant and God Save The Queen, while they released just one album before splitting.

They reformed for a tour in 1996, and came back in 2002 to re-release God Save The Queen to coincide with the Golden Jubilee.

This was followed with a brief tour of the US a year later.

Musicians for the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, based in Cleveland, Ohio, are considered for induction 25 years after their first recording.

A shortlist of nominees is sent to an international body of about 700 voting "rock experts".
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/4750262.stm

Published: 2006/02/25 12:40:25 GMT

© BBC MMVI[/q]

Good for them. When I read this a few days back (or whenever it was), I was quite impressed. Despite the fact that I'm surely reading more thought into the gesture than the "band" could ever have on their own, I'll still stand by it. Intentional fallacy be damned.

Question authority.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if the hall of fame is cheesy, what would one call the sex pistols arena reunion tour in 1996?

that would be ummm.....cheesy.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if the hall of fame is cheesy, what would one call the sex pistols arena reunion tour in 1996?

Neo-cheesism.

Cheese aside, though I love it dearly, a serious question: does anybody actually drink Mt. Dew or watch Judge Judy, anymore? Is the latter even on telelvision? I don't watch much and I haven't had any soda/pop/soda-pop in, like, three years.

Just curious. Do you think that Mr. Rotten drinks or watches any of this jazz? Grounds for investigation, no doubt.

Last edited:
While I think the Sex Pistols reunion was cringeworthy, I do love a good snubbing. :yes:

indra said:
While I think the Sex Pistols reunion was cringeworthy, I do love a good snubbing. :yes:

here! here!
agreed.
never underestimate the awesome power of a well played snubbing, and this certainly qualifies.
snubbery of this caliber would likely gain the pistols entrance into the snubbery hall of fame (incidentally, attendance at said HoF's induction ceremonies tends to be abysmal).:|

dudeman said:

the snubbery hall of fame (incidentally, attendance at said HoF's induction ceremonies tends to be abysmal).:|

But of course! It just wouldn't be right otherwise. :)

knox said:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't really see this as anything other than immature posturing...

Isn't that what being punk is anyway?

I would have preferred they just completely ignore the whole thing though. That has a much better "fuck off" ring to it. :wink:

I don't know, people are surprised at this???? :shrug:

I don't understand this whole Hall of Fame thing anyway, maybe cos I'm not American but I certainly can't understand what U2's fascination with it is.

I'm with Groucho on these things. :wink:

They don't want to be "monkeys", yet had no problem being Malcom McClaren's monkeys in 1976.

I actually like John Lydon, I think he's funny, but he's just playing up his character.

It would have been more "punk" to show up and blow the fucking roof off the place, walk off the stage after one song with a middle finger in the air. Johnny Lydon telling them to their faces what he thinks of them. But no, this plays up the "act". Flithy lucre baby.

Back
Top Bottom