Sex and the City/Bridget Jones's Diary fans please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
Hello!

I am doing a research project for my Popular Culture Research class, and in it, I'll be discussing single women media representation, specifically through the 1st and 2nd seasons of Sex and the City, and Bridget Jones's Diary. I am doing the majority of my research through interviews, and by analyzing the shows and the film. Any info you can give to my research question will be greatly appreciated!!!

Research Question

How are single women represented in the media? Specifically, how are the thirtysomething women from BJD and SATC represented? Are they glamourized, seen as strong figures, or as something to be pitied?

Also keep in mind that the four main characters in SATC (Carrie, Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte) all represent different aspects of being single. For example, is Charlotte seen as a weaker figure than Samantha (who loathes commitment and uses men) because she is so driven to get married (again, keep in mind that I am looking only at the 1st and 2nd seasons)?

Again, thanks to all who can help!!!!!!

:)

Well I already thought that was a given with Sex and the City and Bridget Jones's Diary in the title!!!

i'm not a sex and the city fan, but i do love bridget jones's diary. from that movie, it appeared that they think all women over 30 who are unattached are desperately trying to become attached. to be more specific, married. also, if a woman is older and unmarried, well it must be because something's wrong with her. in bridget's case, she's heavyset, and a bit of a smoker/drinker.

what i mean is, it appears that people try to present single women over 30 that they're single because of something that's wrong with them. they must be too fat, afraid of commitment, ugly, whatever. it certainly couldn't be that they're just waiting for the right guy to come along and they've not found him yet!

btw, i hope i don't come off as some bitter person, because i'm not. after all, i'm a married 19 year old woman so i'm far from some single spinster! :D

I don't watch Sex and the City, but I did read the Bridget Jones books and saw the film...

I thought in the book, Bridget was portrayed much more sympathetically, something to be identified with--not neccessarily pitied. You felt sorry for her like you would a friend and you recognized what she was going through.

However, in the movie, I thought they very much set her up as an object of pity. She's single because she's "overweight", dresses unflatteringly and makes a fool of herself all the time. To me, they made her out l So when she gets the guy, it's practically shown as a miracle!

My take. :shrug: My cousin thought the movie was very sweet and positive!

Well I am a man and do watch SATC.

I do not understand questions like this, nor do I understand majors like "women's studies."

I do understand that my sweeties was on SATC and she was not listed in your research question, thus I refuse to answer.

:madspit:

ouizy said:
Well I am a man and do watch SATC.

I do not understand questions like this, nor do I understand majors like "women's studies."

I do understand that my sweeties was on SATC and she was not listed in your research question, thus I refuse to answer.

:madspit:

Who the hell is your sweetie? Mine is Amy Sedaris.

:sexywink:

I think SATC does show a strong image of single over 30 women...very little intent to pity the women there.
BDJ is my absolute favorite !! altho I think the movie more so than the book protrays Bridget a little sad sometimes , sometimes I think we 30 something singletons are a little sad ....lol .... besides how can you pity a girl who lives in London and got to shag Hugh Grant...:wink:
I was certainly no help with your question :shrug:

I don't think they're glamorized or made out to be pitied in either BJD (the books and the film) or in SATC, both just show single women sometimes having things pretty good, sometimes not, just like everybody else. Society's treatment of single women does not come off very well in either BJD or SATC, there is some pitying and a ton of questioning going on to the characters in both and all of the women are fighting against this misconception that somehow they matter less as people because they are unattached, that something must be wrong with them because they aren't getting married and having children.

~LadyLemon~ said:

Who the hell is your sweetie? Mine is Amy Sedaris.

:sexywink:

I will withold the name, but she was on the episode that was filmed at Vogue, because that is her workplace...

Back
Top Bottom