Setlist from Smashing Pumpkins reunion show - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:50 AM
I love the nearly 20 minute version of Gossamer from that show.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by jphelmet

billy corgan = smashing pumpkins
billy corgan = zwan

he can call himself whatever he wants and play whatever songs he wants as far as i am concerned. d'arcy and james add absolutely nothing, who cares if they are there. it will be better shows, you won't have to sit through the god awful songs james wrote and listen to him sing.
James did enough to warrant a songwriting credit on "Soma" and "Mayonaise", 2 of their finest songs. So, he did alot more than "nothing."

oh yeah, "That's The Way" sounds guitartastic

Old 06-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

James did enough to warrant a songwriting credit on "Soma" and "Mayonaise", 2 of their finest songs. So, he did alot more than "nothing."
Maybe Billy was feeling overly-generous that day. It's sad to say, but I've always seen James and D'arcy as arty wallpaper...limited, and one-dimensional. I think this new incarnation goes beyond having the potential to be better...they are better.

I'll also say this: Tarantula is one of the most straight ahead, confident-sounding things they've ever released.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:50 PM
James also sang on 'The Boy'.

Yeah OK it's just a b-side, but it's a good one. And 'Mayonaise' is epic.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:50 AM
I think that's being a little unfair to James Iha, who was written and recorded music on his own that, while not better than Corgan's best work, is certainly better than Billy's piece of shit solo album from a year or so ago. Iha certainly contributed to the band, and I think real Pumpkins fans who have followed them for a while and seen them live can attest to that.

I really liked the Zwan album a lot, and when they split up so quickly it became clear to me that Corgan is a control freak who has trouble collaborating with other musicians. If you read all the PR bullshit when the band formed he was all talking abut finally having people he could relate to, etc., but in the end it was the same old story. He's the problem, I imagine, much like how Eddie Van Halen can't quite seem to figure out who he wants singing next to him.

I'm not bothered by Billy using the Pumpkins name now, because I feel it would be an even bigger insult to retain the Zwan name without Pajo, Paz, and Sweeney. They certainly weren't going to go with Corgan/Chamberlain.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I think that's being a little unfair to James Iha, who was written and recorded music on his own that, while not better than Corgan's best work, is certainly better than Billy's piece of shit solo album from a year or so ago. Iha certainly contributed to the band, and I think real Pumpkins fans who have followed them for a while and seen them live can attest to that.
as bad as billy's solo album was it was still way better than any of the awful solo stuff james did.

iha may have contributed (very little imo), but as a huge pumpkins fan, who has seen them live many times, i don't care if he is there or not now.

the main thing i see is whether it was zwan or pumpkins, or the new pumpkins songs- they all have the same sound. the reason being its almost exclusively all billy. that is why i say he can call himself whatever he wants. zwan had some other good musicians with him (i am big matt sweeney and chavez fan), but it still sounded to me like it was all billy to my ears. its not like it was collabaration that took them to a real different place musically.