sesame street videos - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 03:55 PM
sesame street videos

amazing what you can remember, and how transporting back to childhood (early childhood) these can be.

http://video.sesameworkshop.org/

observations:

1. Grover sounds like Yoda
2. the Martians and the phone is a great bit of comedy
3. Ernie and Bert are the most realistically gay couple on children's television
4. Cookie Monster sounds like a Japanese immigrant stereotype

be careful. you could get sucked in for hours.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Refugee
 
maro_chik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,087
Local Time: 03:55 PM
Aw, I didn't see my favorite Cookie Monster one on there:


(Love the Election icon, btw.)
__________________

__________________
maro_chik is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 06:25 AM
I love vintage Sesame Street. Got one of the DVDs, will be on the lookout for future ones.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
The Fly
 
adrobw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Local Time: 04:55 PM
Grover should sound like Yoda since both of their voices are provided by Frank Oz. This website is pretty cool.
__________________
adrobw is offline  
Old 01-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 03:55 PM
Ernie was my favorite, I even had an Ernie puppet. Don't know where he is now
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 03:55 PM
Re: sesame street videos

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
amazing what you can remember, and how transporting back to childhood (early childhood) these can be.

http://video.sesameworkshop.org/

observations:

1. Grover sounds like Yoda
2. the Martians and the phone is a great bit of comedy
3. Ernie and Bert are the most realistically gay couple on children's television
4. Cookie Monster sounds like a Japanese immigrant stereotype

be careful. you could get sucked in for hours.
HEY, if anything Yoda sounds like Grover! Ernie and Bert aren't gay, though it would be okay if they were, but I like that 2 heteros can be loving and caring toward one another without them being afraid of seeming gay.

I bought the Christmas DVD from the early '80s and loved watching it over Christmas because the vinyl record was the first record I ever had; my mother bought it for me when I was 3 years old.

What's ruined Sesame Street nowadays is Elmo; I hate him and his self-conscious cuteness; I also miss the simple acoustic guitar intro, and characters like Snuffleupiguss.

My favorite was Oscar, but I pretty much liked everyone on the show.
Quote:
Originally posted by adrobw
Grover should sound like Yoda since both of their voices are provided by Frank Oz. This website is pretty cool.
You just blew my mind!
Quote:
Originally posted by maro_chik
Aw, I didn't see my favorite Cookie Monster one on there:

I guess I stopped watching Sesame Street by the early '90s and I'm glad I missed the influence of rap. Where are the cookies?! I guess this is a better message for kids, though, but it's not sweet anymore.
__________________
Muldfeld is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 03:55 PM
Re: Re: sesame street videos

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

Ernie and Bert aren't gay, though it would be okay if they were, but I like that 2 heteros can be loving and caring toward one another without them being afraid of seeming gay.


they are so gay. they are such a gay couple and interact as such. they're like Keith and David from "6 Feet Under."
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 03:55 PM
Re: Re: Re: sesame street videos

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




they are so gay. they are such a gay couple and interact as such. they're like Keith and David from "6 Feet Under."
Don't be silly. The next thing you're gonna tell me is that Mr. Rogers is gay. He's one of my heroes.
__________________
Muldfeld is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 03:55 PM
How's it silly?
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 03:55 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: sesame street videos

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

Don't be silly. The next thing you're gonna tell me is that Mr. Rogers is gay. He's one of my heroes.


a gay person can't be your hero?

in all honesty, what i'm getting at here is that it's perfectly possible to recognize a gay character without having them say, straight up, that they have attraction and love for the same sex.

bert and ernie are obviously not sexual. but their relationship -- i mean, come on, they're cohabitating in New York -- does strike me as one that's rooted in a deep love for one another and a willingness to live with their obvious differences.

many gay couples have the same relationship. i see them as much more than friends. why couldn't they be both non-sexual and gay at the same time? what would you think of a couple who shared an apartment in new york and one of the partners had a bottle cap collection, was a neat freak, was easily exasperated, and the other was spontaneous, devil-may-care, and in it all for a bunch of laughs? and yet their relationship endures. perhaps because they love one another? perhaps because their love is not so different from the other non-sexual hetero relationships you see represented on the show?
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 02:55 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sesame street videos

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




a gay person can't be your hero?

in all honesty, what i'm getting at here is that it's perfectly possible to recognize a gay character without having them say, straight up, that they have attraction and love for the same sex.

bert and ernie are obviously not sexual. but their relationship -- i mean, come on, they're cohabitating in New York -- does strike me as one that's rooted in a deep love for one another and a willingness to live with their obvious differences.

many gay couples have the same relationship. i see them as much more than friends. why couldn't they be both non-sexual and gay at the same time? what would you think of a couple who shared an apartment in new york and one of the partners had a bottle cap collection, was a neat freak, was easily exasperated, and the other was spontaneous, devil-may-care, and in it all for a bunch of laughs? and yet their relationship endures. perhaps because they love one another? perhaps because their love is not so different from the other non-sexual hetero relationships you see represented on the show?
He doesn't like it because Ira Steven Behr isn't involved... or is he?

But I agree with you.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sesame street videos

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


He doesn't like it because Ira Steven Behr isn't involved... or is he?

But I agree with you.
YLB.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com