Serendipity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
This film doesn't get talked about much here.

Yes, it's a romantic comedy. Yes, some might term it a 'chick flick'(although I personally don't).

But it might just might be my favorite romantic comedy ever.

It stars John Cusak, Kate Beckensale, Jermey Piven, Molly Shannon, Eugene Levy, Bridgette Moynahan, John Corbett, and more.

Cusak and Beckensale meet one night at Bloomingdales in NYC, fall in love, and then part, him having only her first name, and her having nothing. She believes in fate and destiny and when the paper she's written her number on gets blown away just as he is about to take it, she takes it as a sign that they shouldn't be together. She ends up having him write his information on a five dollar bill, and then she spends it, saying that if that five dollar bill ever makes its way back into her possession, that'll mean they're meant to be. She says that to be fair, first thing in the morning she'll write her information on the inside of a book, and then sell that book to a used bookstore, and should that book ever make its way back into his hands, that'll be the sign. Fast forward several years, and they're both engaged to other people(Cusak to Moynahan, Beckensale to Corbett), living on opposite ends of the country, and still having lingering thoughts about either other. With the prospect of marriage approaching, each of them begins searching for the other, unbeknownst to the other, each with a best friend helping(Piven and Shannon). They don't find each other until the last minute(literally) of the film(sort of Sleepless-In-Seattle-esque), and belief must be suspended in order to appreciate all of the mishaps that occur over the course of their search for each other, but the film works in spite of that.

The thing I love about this film is that it isn't sappy. There are a few sappy moments here and there, but by and large, I find the two leads' search for each other(which takes up most of the film) to be more of a vehicle with which to launch somewhat philosophical discussions(mostly between each lead and their best friend) about the existance of fate, destiny, soulmates, and such. Indeed, much of this film is heavily dialog-driven. And the dialog is often very snappy, very intelligent in a 'I'm smarter than you' kind of way, very wordy, and sometimes quite cynical. This quality dialog is what makes the film, because it prevents the characters from being starcrossed, dreamer, head-in-the-clouds types and makes them into very intelligent, thoughtful, realistic(even if the plot isn't always) adult human beings.

Take this example of dialog from a scene in which Cusak and Piven, in the midst of Cusak's search for Beckensale, are trying to get a one-year-out-of-college employee of an apartment leasing office to bend the rules and tell them the vital information of the person who lived in the apartment that Beckensale lived in(information found earlier in the search) at the time of their meeting years ago(for reference, Jonathan is Cusak, and Dean is Piven):

Jonathan: Forget about privacy laws. You know what privacy laws do?
Leasing Office Temp: No.
Jonathan: They protect millionaires. You know who those millionaires are?
Leasing Office Temp: Who?
Jonathan: Tell him who they are. Tell him.
Dean: Kids your age. Pimple-faced college drop outs who have made unhealthy sums of money forming internet companies that create no concrete products, provide no viable services, and still manage to generate profits for all of its lazy day-trading son-of-a bitch shareholders. Meanwhile, as a tortured member of the disenfranchised proletariat, you find some altruistic need to protect these digital plantation-owners?
Jonathan: [reacting to Dean's speech] Wow!
[to Temp]
Jonathan: Come on.

Piven's 'Dean' is one of my favorite film characters ever.

Ok, I know some of you will blast me for liking this film too much, looking too much into it, and the like, but I hope I'm not alone in loving 'Serendipity'.

Last edited:
I loved this movie when I watched and decided to save my second watching when I found someone who would enjoy it as much as I would. If memory serves me right the obituary in the end is very cleverly written, righ?

It´s a good movie and John Cusack just rocks. Speaking of him, I´ve recently re-discovered High Fidelity... (I´m pretty sure I started a thread about this movie a long time but I can´t search and I don´t want to repost.)

elevated_u2_fan said:

America's Sweethearts.

Other than Christopher Walken's character, no redeeming value whatsoever :tsk:

what do I win? :hyper:

Totally agree. I majorly :heart: John Cusack but he's made some real crap movies. I think he takes projects just for the paycheck so he can turn around and invest the money and his prestige into small, quirky projects.

I'm not a fan of "Serendipidity" but I did really like "Must Love Dogs," probably because he's all weird and awkward.

Hmm, John Cusack :love:

john cusack is so cute! i love him.
idk this movie was all right. but then again im not big on romantic comedies//chick flicks

Seen it before. It's not the "best ever", but entertaining. Just saw it again a couple of weeks ago :up:

As for Must Love Dogs, I do like dogs a lot, but this movie, not so much :shrug:

I :heart: this movie as well as being a huge John Cusack fan. I bought this dvd and watch it when I want to see something that makes you smile and feel good. Definitely one of Cusack's better roles.

Must Love Dogs was to me one of Cusack's worst films, but other than that he's awesome, I'm sure I forgot to add him in my top ten favorite actors thread but he deserves to be on it, he's definitely an actor that drags me to watch pretty much anything he comes out in.

Another "Serendipity" type movie for me is "About A Boy", movies that are so straight forward and nothing spectacular about it but it just grips you and I can watch over and over and always enjoy it.

I'm a girl and I usually detest chick flicks but I certainly love Serendipity, :cute:

I caught this on TBS one day and was pleasantly surprised by it's non chick flicky-suckiness. It was a good watch for 2 hours and I have no problem looking at Kate Beckinsale for that length or longer. Maybe 10 hours worth, not sure.

this is such an awesome thread!!! I love this movie, and I'm always surprised that a lot people haven't heard of it. "Dean" is the best character in that movie! BUT I love John Cusack!

Anyways, I love this movie!

I'm convinced Cusack's best movies are One Crazy Summer and High Fidelity. I still need to see Grosse Pointe Blank though.

Back
Top Bottom