Serena, Louisiana Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bonnie, what are the implications of this game? I know my mother fears that the Lions have to win if they want to have any chance of making the finals, but earlier the commentators mentioned that the Lions had a chance of making the top four. And do Richmond have a chance to even make the eight at all?

The Lions have been strong this season - not up there with the Cats, Dogs or Hawks, but have been pretty solid, nothing to be ashamed of (although we beat them in the first round!). The Tiges have been very valiant this season, earlier on you wouldn't have thought they'd be a chance for the eight, but you would be pretty sure that they'd give better teams a shake. However, now it's gotten to the point that if they win tonight, they're in the eight!

Oh god, now Richmond's trying to run the clock down with five minutes to go and are now two points behind. You dumb buggers!

So, after Brisbane got their final point and Richmond had next-to-no time to get the ball to the other end of the field and score the winning goal, I totally was not screaming at the TV "RUN YOU BASTARDS, RUN!" ... :shifty:

Ahem, anyway. What are the rest of you up to?

Yes way! Good GOD the end of that game was amazing - Bonnie was spot-on. Multiple lead changes. I thought the Lions had it wrapped up with their final goal, but in the dying seconds, after a Lions behind made it 114-111, Richmond managed to move the ball all the way down the park and score a goal.

What a fucking cliffhanger. Glad I don't have any more emotion invested in that than I do. If the Tigers were Wellington and the Lions were Auckland, I'd have been unable to watch.

Yes way! Good GOD the end of that game was amazing - Bonnie was spot-on. Multiple lead changes. I thought the Lions had it wrapped up with their final goal, but in the dying seconds, after a Lions behind made it 114-111, Richmond managed to move the ball all the way down the park and score a goal.

What a fucking cliffhanger. Glad I don't have any more emotion invested in that than I do. If the Tigers were Wellington and the Lions were Auckland, I'd have been unable to watch.

I'm glad that AFL isn't like League to you, and that you can actually get into a good game. :up: I don't know how the Tigers will go for the rest of the year, but I think they're on the rise.

When's the Tri Nations game start?

I'm glad that AFL isn't like League to you, and that you can actually get into a good game. :up: I don't know how the Tigers will go for the rest of the year, but I think they're on the rise.

When's the Tri Nations game start?

The main problem for me with AFL is that I just haven't had a team to follow. I like the sport, as long as it's not too low-scoring. But without a team I really care about, it's hard to give a damn week to week. Now that Richmond are actually playing as if I should care, though, I think I can get into it. Looking forward to next week.

Still over an hour until the rugby. :(

I need my All Blacks fix! I haven't seen them play at all this year yet, except for a few minutes at an Irish pub when we were thumping Ireland and I figured I better not make it known that I'm a Kiwi ...

The main problem for me with AFL is that I just haven't had a team to follow. I like the sport, as long as it's not too low-scoring. But without a team I really care about, it's hard to give a damn week to week. Now that Richmond are actually playing as if I should care, though, I think I can get into it. Looking forward to next week.

Still over an hour until the rugby. :(

I need my All Blacks fix! I haven't seen them play at all this year yet, except for a few minutes at an Irish pub when we were thumping Ireland and I figured I better not make it known that I'm a Kiwi ...

That's cool. I hate to say it, but the next Tigers game against Geelong at Skilled Stadium, but never fear, whatever happens there, it's something most of us have had to face this season. They lost against the Cats earlier on in the year by 30 points, which isn't that bad considering.

Damn. Are you doing the wine thing tonight? I will obviously be going to bed earlier than usual tonight (I think I'll have a Wexford [Wexford > Kilkenny > Guinness] and then hop to bed) but yeah, would be fun to see a bit of that.

Where was the pub? Remember, even if 100% of all white people try to claim Irish descent, some of them are still Kiwis!

That's cool. I hate to say it, but the next Tigers game against Geelong at Skilled Stadium, but never fear, whatever happens there, it's something most of us have had to face this season. They lost against the Cats earlier on in the year by 30 points, which isn't that bad considering.

Damn. Are you doing the wine thing tonight? I will obviously be going to bed earlier than usual tonight (I think I'll have a Wexford [Wexford > Kilkenny > Guinness] and then hop to bed) but yeah, would be fun to see a bit of that.

Where was the pub? Remember, even if 100% of all white people try to claim Irish descent, some of them are still Kiwis!

Oh fuck! I'll, uh, hold out hopes for a bit of giant-killing.

Nah, I don't have more than a glass or so left. I'll drink that glass, but if even nine glasses can't fuck up my typing, a single glass won't do squat. Looking forward to some cheese and crackers, though.

The pub's near the Imax. I was with ... I think it was Jen, cin, and Danny, before U2 3D. I'd forgotten the game was even on, and we walked in with about 10 minutes left to play and Ireland not looking too good, with pissed Irish/Aussie-wishing-they-were-Irish guys not looking all too happy about things. So I just kept quiet and went to the table and waited to hear the inevitable groans go up when the final whistle went and the All Blacks won ...

Oh fuck! I'll, uh, hold out hopes for a bit of giant-killing.

Nah, I don't have more than a glass or so left. I'll drink that glass, but if even nine glasses can't fuck up my typing, a single glass won't do squat. Looking forward to some cheese and crackers, though.

The pub's near the Imax. I was with ... I think it was Jen, cin, and Danny, before U2 3D. I'd forgotten the game was even on, and we walked in with about 10 minutes left to play and Ireland not looking too good, with pissed Irish/Aussie-wishing-they-were-Irish guys not looking all too happy about things. So I just kept quiet and went to the table and waited to hear the inevitable groans go up when the final whistle went and the All Blacks won ...

Considering the way Geelong's put away the two other sides even remotely close to them this past fortnight, you should feel good if they do you in by less than a 100. We get blitzed by 135 odd at Subi!

Ah, righto then. Got me Wexford poured - in a Stella Artois chime glass, so not exactly orthodox, but still appetising to look at. Which cheeses have you got set? I had a haloumi and feta roll for tea tonight - a bit too much hummus for my liking, but still nice.

:lol: Yeah, I hear that. I can just see you looking at the TV and silently smirking behind your glass of red, while the others watch, sort of disturbed. :wink: To be honest, I sometimes wonder the extent to which some of the "Irish" guys in Irish pubs are actually Irish. Most Aussies probably won't be able to tell the difference between a badly done stereotypical Cork accent and a Dublin one. And if you've had too much to drink and you're mainly Irish descent anyway - nothing rare for an Australian - then you can bullshit as much as you want.

Considering the way Geelong's put away the two other sides even remotely close to them this past fortnight, you should feel good if they do you in by less than a 100. We get blitzed by 135 odd at Subi!

Ah, righto then. Got me Wexford poured - in a Stella Artois chime glass, so not exactly orthodox, but still appetising to look at. Which cheeses have you got set? I had a haloumi and feta roll for tea tonight - a bit too much hummus for my liking, but still nice.

:lol: Yeah, I hear that. I can just see you looking at the TV and silently smirking behind your glass of red, while the others watch, sort of disturbed. :wink: To be honest, I sometimes wonder the extent to which some of the "Irish" guys in Irish pubs are actually Irish. Most Aussies probably won't be able to tell the difference between a badly done stereotypical Cork accent and a Dublin one. And if you've had too much to drink and you're mainly Irish descent anyway - nothing rare for an Australian - then you can bullshit as much as you want.

Oh god. Geelong's not going to run roughshod over everybody again this year like they did last, are they? We don't need another boring grand final.

You going to drink enough to drunkpost? I thought of going up to buy another bottle of wine, but after pizza last night, I haven't enough money on me and there's no ANZ ATMs in the vicinity. I got slugged a $2 fee for using that other ATM before the Curry Vault and I'd rather avoid giving the bank another cent of my money if at all possible.

Haha, yeah. Honestly, I suspect almost none of them are Irish. Or have ever set foot in Ireland. Though that impression is drawn more from the Gold Coast, where not even the pub owners seem to be Irish, rather than somewhere like Melbourne.

Oh god. Geelong's not going to run roughshod over everybody again this year like they did last, are they? We don't need another boring grand final.

You going to drink enough to drunkpost? I thought of going up to buy another bottle of wine, but after pizza last night, I haven't enough money on me and there's no ANZ ATMs in the vicinity. I got slugged a $2 fee for using that other ATM before the Curry Vault and I'd rather avoid giving the bank another cent of my money if at all possible.

Haha, yeah. Honestly, I suspect almost none of them are Irish. Or have ever set foot in Ireland. Though that impression is drawn more from the Gold Coast, where not even the pub owners seem to be Irish, rather than somewhere like Melbourne.

Up until recently, it looked like we could be in for a close battle for the top spot. But no, I'm afraid the Cats have once again jumped a few games clear. Can make the game a bit of a bore, to say the least.

No, just having the one can. Remember, still got a sore throat and all I'm waiting for is for the electric blanket to warm up. You may scoff, but it's chilly outside, and I don't want to risk getting any sicker!

The ATM thing sucks. Supposedly NAB cards don't charge extra when using other company's ATMs. Since the advantage there is enormous, I hope other companies start following it.

Well, Melbourne does have a strong concentration of Irish heritage, but you'd think that would mainly be from the 19th century. Of course, you meet your chaps straight from the British Isles in pubs, obviously they exist. But I know a lot of people that love nothing more than getting into bad Cork accents. It's not hard to do it.

Up until recently, it looked like we could be in for a close battle for the top spot. But no, I'm afraid the Cats have once again jumped a few games clear. Can make the game a bit of a bore, to say the least.

No, just having the one can. Remember, still got a sore throat and all I'm waiting for is for the electric blanket to warm up. You may scoff, but it's chilly outside, and I don't want to risk getting any sicker!

The ATM thing sucks. Supposedly NAB cards don't charge extra when using other company's ATMs. Since the advantage there is enormous, I hope other companies start following it.

Well, Melbourne does have a strong concentration of Irish heritage, but you'd think that would mainly be from the 19th century. Of course, you meet your chaps straight from the British Isles in pubs, obviously they exist. But I know a lot of people that love nothing more than getting into bad Cork accents. It's not hard to do it.

Ugh, damn. I thought Hawthorn had been doing bloody well too?

Ahh, right, of course. I've actually finally used the heater here! Dropped below 0 - to -4! - a couple of nights ago.

Ooh, the NAB does that? Nice. Definitely hope it catches on.

It does seem to me like most recent immigrants first go to either Sydney or Melbourne and then spread out to the rest of the country later. All of the families I knew on the Gold Coast who were from the British Isles had lived in NSW or VIC originally before coming north. Why anybody would leave down here for banana bender country is beyond me.

Time for RUUUUUUUUUUGBY!

Lomu_Mike_Catt_steamroll.PNG

Let's steamroller these Aussies like it's 1995!

Is Steph around? I'm totally willing to provide some running commentary.

Oh well, I'll probably blather on anyway ...

Goddamnit, only a few minutes in and Channel 7's commentators already are driving me insane.

Ugh, damn. I thought Hawthorn had been doing bloody well too?

Ahh, right, of course. I've actually finally used the heater here! Dropped below 0 - to -4! - a couple of nights ago.

Ooh, the NAB does that? Nice. Definitely hope it catches on.

It does seem to me like most recent immigrants first go to either Sydney or Melbourne and then spread out to the rest of the country later. All of the families I knew on the Gold Coast who were from the British Isles had lived in NSW or VIC originally before coming north. Why anybody would leave down here for banana bender country is beyond me.

Well, they're still right up there, but Geelong are still better. They beat them last night with some of their key players out. Away. No arguing with that!

Christ! That's gotta be something new - Axver discovers cold. :lol: But when I was outside before, it was freezing. Nearly forgot it's still that time of the year, things have been moving so fast.

Yep, so the ads say. Think it's awesome. :up:

Yeah, a few I knew arrived in Sydney and then moved to Adelaide later. Wise choice, I tell them. :wink:

FUCK.

BRAD THORN YELLOW CARDED.

High tackle. Probably wasn't as bad as it initially looked - he went at shoulder level and slid up high, but as it happened it looked fucking nasty and I can see why he got carded.

And Australia makes the penalty kick: 3-0. Honestly, better than it could've been, as they were totally on for a try there. Definitely they've been the better team at the start, but it's early days yet.

RUUUUUUUGGGBY!

Almost my cue to leave. :wink: Drinking the beer slowly, though. My brother was recommending absinthe earlier, under the legend that high alcohol kills cold germs, but my throat is dying enough as it is, I don't think washing it with absinthe is going to help!

Oh for god's sake, try to Australia. Piss-poor early play from the All Blacks.

RUUUUUUUGGGBY!

Almost my cue to leave. :wink: Drinking the beer slowly, though. My brother was recommending absinthe earlier, under the legend that high alcohol kills cold germs, but my throat is dying enough as it is, I don't think washing it with absinthe is going to help!

:madspit: :laugh:

Absinthe might at least help you forget the alphabet and learn to spell AFL as R-U-G-B-Y.

Well, they're still right up there, but Geelong are still better. They beat them last night with some of their key players out. Away. No arguing with that!

Christ! That's gotta be something new - Axver discovers cold. :lol: But when I was outside before, it was freezing. Nearly forgot it's still that time of the year, things have been moving so fast.

Yep, so the ads say. Think it's awesome. :up:

Yeah, a few I knew arrived in Sydney and then moved to Adelaide later. Wise choice, I tell them. :wink:

Ahh, right. So the Cats are looking on for a second premiership then?

Haha. Yeah, it's been nice to have some colder weather. And my place has held the cold well, to the point I had to use the heater this morning too even though it really wasn't that cold in terms of raw temperature reading.

ANYWHERE beats Sydney. Well, maybe not Ipswich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom