Serena, Louisiana Superthread - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2008, 01:21 AM   #676
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Hi. Is it really true that toilets flush backwards south of the equator? And by backwards I mean counter clockwise.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #677
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
People can't be so unbelievably stupid as to think one game, in Sydney, where NZ traditionally don't win (in the last 10 or so years) is indicative of anything.
Yeah, well that's Australian sporting arrogance for you. I'm just a bit upset at the moment that someone as good as Deans is coaching the Aussie bastards and getting good results with them. It'll pass though. I know I'm overestimating his chances of success with the Wallabies...probably because I'm still pissed off about SA losing the other day and the fact that we've now got a shitty coach for silly reasons.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #678
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:
Gad, I can't stand that.

Mind, they haven't played as often in Sydney since they won the Bledisloe Cup in Sydney in 2003.

If I remember correctly, Sydney is the city where the All Blacks have played the most matches. Pointless, no?
Hah, not even I knew that stat. Can't say it surprises me though, given how they try to spread out matches through New Zealand.

But ugh, Channel 7 nearly made me put my foot through the TV. How hard can it possibly be to at least try to PRETEND you're being objective? They had absolutely no shame in hiding that they were cheering on the Wallabies. It was like the commentary was coming from a bunch of drunk old men at a barbecue in Frankston or Ipswich.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #679
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Oh, Ian, can you find whoever's in charge of naming stadiums and tell them to try and find a bit more creativity?

Last night, when the game began, I wasn't looking at the TV and heard "welcome to ANZ Stadium" and thought "oh, they're playing in Brisbane? And not at Lang Park?" before I turned around and saw that it's what was Telstra Stadium in Sydney. I know we've ranted about corporate naming of stadiums before, including this very example, and it finally tripped me up last night. Wankers.

Except it hasn't been ANZ Stadium in Brisbane for years, but point taken.

At least now it should be permissible to call the Telstra Dome "Telstra Stadium".
Old 07-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #680
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGirl View Post
Yeah, well that's Australian sporting arrogance for you.
I'd call it the idiotic New Zealand sporting media. I think you need a lobotomy to be able to report on sport here.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #681
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Except it hasn't been ANZ Stadium in Brisbane for years, but point taken.

At least now it should be permissible to call the Telstra Dome "Telstra Stadium".
Everybody in Queensland still calls it ANZ Stadium. Nobody would have a fucking clue what you meant if you said the Queensland Sports And Athletics Centre or whatever the hell it is now. Plus that's just a dumb mouthful of a name.

And they probably think it really IS a Dome after all these years of calling it that, so good luck getting them to rename it.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #682
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Bet he's probably still introducing songs to the set left, right, and centre and showing U2 how it should be done.

And how come it could be the end of the road for the E Street Band?
Well, the first hint is the craziness of this tour. The fact that he hit a 30 set show, that he's been playing so many different songs. Danny passing away. and the fact that Bruce himself is 58, and a lot of members in the band (Read: Clarence) are in their 60s. Plus Clarence apparently isn't doing so hot himself. It all just leads to the speculation that this might be it.

But no, there's been no official word on the matter.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:28 AM   #683
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Hah, not even I knew that stat. Can't say it surprises me though, given how they try to spread out matches through New Zealand.
I heard it on the radio a few years ago, and it stuck. It wouldn't surprise me if the New $ealand Rugby Union started to play home games in Sydney.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:28 AM   #684
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I'd call it the idiotic New Zealand sporting media. I think you need a lobotomy to be able to report on sport here.
Struckthrough for extra truth.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #685
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Hi. Is it really true that toilets flush backwards south of the equator? And by backwards I mean counter clockwise.
they flush backwards, as in the water splashes up in your face.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #686
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Well, the first hint is the craziness of this tour. The fact that he hit a 30 set show, that he's been playing so many different songs. Danny passing away. and the fact that Bruce himself is 58, and a lot of members in the band (Read: Clarence) are in their 60s. Plus Clarence apparently isn't doing so hot himself. It all just leads to the speculation that this might be it.

But no, there's been no official word on the matter.
Ahh, right. See, I would have read longer shows and setlist craziness as a sign of vitality ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #687
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Everybody in Queensland still calls it ANZ Stadium. Nobody would have a fucking clue what you meant if you said the Queensland Sports And Athletics Centre or whatever the hell it is now. Plus that's just a dumb mouthful of a name.

And they probably think it really IS a Dome after all these years of calling it that, so good luck getting them to rename it.
It's the QSAC. Pronounced Q-Sack. Or phonetically, I suppose.

I prefer calling it Docklands Stadium anyway. Just because it has a roof doesn't mean you need to get fapping about the presence of the roof.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #688
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ahh, right. See, I would have read longer shows and setlist craziness as a sign of vitality ...
That's how I would have seen it.

U2s final show:

1. Vertigo
2. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
3. Vertigo
Encore:
None
Old 07-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #689
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Whoops...I thought you were referring to the Aussies. I forgot, you don't live in Australia. So NZ commentators are also bad?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #690
Vocal parasite

Quote:
It's the QSAC. Pronounced Q-Sack. Or phonetically, I suppose.

I prefer calling it Docklands Stadium anyway. Just because it has a roof doesn't mean you need to get fapping about the presence of the roof.
I should try talking about Q-Sack next time I'm in Queensland and see if anybody has a bloody clue what I'm on about.

And yeah, Docklands Stadium is a much better name for it. I'm unfortunately a bit too used to calling it the Telstra Dome to remember to say Docklands most of the time, though.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread