Sequels that surpass the original+=+=+=? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:23 AM
Sequels that surpass the original+=+=+=?

Ah, one of the rarest of motion picture occurances. The mythical case of a movie's sequel actually equaling and surpassing the original. For some unknown reason most film-makers simply cannot create a movie series that builds upon the greatness of the first film and produces one or more sequels that take the best of the original, dump the crap, and result in a finer movie-going experience.

However, there ARE a few rare exceptions to this rule. And since this is my thread, I get to point out the most obvious ones, and let you folks struggle and come up with more.

1. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

For me, this represents the ultimate sequel. The first film was revolutionary in its own right, but it was bathed in 80's cheese. The sequel completely blew the doors off the visual effects industry and reinvented the sci-fi action film. And most importantly, this film has a heart and conscience. And the score is utterly breathtaking (possibly the biggest improvement over the original behind the visual effects). James Cameron is truely a God among film-makers.

2. The Empire Strikes Back

Of course. Empire is THE classic example of a sequel overshadowing it's predecessor in every way. Not much needs to be said about this film. It's fucking Empire.

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

I actually prefer The Fellowship of the Ring over the other two LOTR films, but general consensus is that The Two Towers is the greater of the two films, if not the best of the entire series. I'm not going to argue. It's flippin amazing. You could also put Return of the King on this list if that's what rocks your boat. All three of these films are so damn good you could argue any way.

4. Spiderman 2

This one is definitely debatable, as both movies are quite amazing, but personally, Spidey 2 does more for me than the original. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that 2 doesn't have the lengthy esposition in the beginning on how Parker becomes Spidey. That and Doc Oc is a cool villain. Overall, the visual effects and fight choreography in this film is just better than that of the original too, so score some points there.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:23 AM
I agree with every assessment so far.

How 'bout...

Addams Family Values
Aliens
The Bourne Supremacy
Dawn of the Dead
Goldfinger
Rush Hour 2
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Superman II
X2: X-Men United

And the worst sequels ever:

Batman & Robin
Caddyshack II
The Fly II
Jaws: The Revenge
Rocky V

And the winner, I don't know if this counts, but Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Good picks LMP. I was very temped to put Aliens on my list. Like I said, Cameron is a God, possibly my favorite director, but the one thing that Alien had over Aliens was the terrifying atmosphere and feeling of utter isolation on the ship. And I think that was the key to the original film's success. So, I have absolutely no problem with the suggestion that Aliens is a superior film, but i'm not going to be the one to say so.

And how on Earth could I have forgotten about The Wrath of Khan!? Oh man, talk about a superior sequel. Good call.

I don't agree with Superman II though.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 AM
The Godfather, Part II
The Empire Strikes Back
Spiderman 2

I think those are the best ones, by far.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:23 AM
Have you seen the Richard Donner cut of Superman II? If you do, then you might agree with me.

Aliens and Alien are almost like apples and oranges, but I can watch Aliens over and over again and love it just the same. Alien only has a limited shelf life for me.

Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek movie. bar none. If any Star Trek movie is to be successful again, bring in Nicholas Meyer to write the script, it will be good.

(I know JJ Abrams is working on Star Trek XI right now, but atleast being in someone who knows how to make a good Trek movie, which is a whole different animal than a good Trek SERIES.)
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 AM
GGW 14
Old 01-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Sequels that surpass the original+=+=+=?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

I actually prefer The Fellowship of the Ring over the other two LOTR films, but general consensus is that The Two Towers is the greater of the two films, if not the best of the entire series. I'm not going to argue. It's flippin amazing. You could also put Return of the King on this list if that's what rocks your boat. All three of these films are so damn good you could argue any way.

I agree, but one thing you have to keep in mind with this has to do with the original story. Tolkien never intended the books to be released in sequels. The publishers wanted it that way. So what you really have in this case is just the middle part of the story, where the best stuff is usually found.

I think your list is pretty complete. It is so rare for the sequel to be better that I really can't think of a thing, asides from the ones you already named.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Airplane 2
Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Have you seen the Richard Donner cut of Superman II? If you do, then you might agree with me.

Aliens and Alien are almost like apples and oranges, but I can watch Aliens over and over again and love it just the same. Alien only has a limited shelf life for me.
I don't believe I have seen the Riachard Donner cut. I will be sure to check that out ASAP.

And I totally see what you're saying about Aliens. It's infinitely entertaining and re-watchable. That's another thing about Cameron's films. ANY time ANY of his movies is on TV I find I have to sit down and watch the entire thing. This is especially true with T-2 and the Director's cut of The Abyss (One of the most under-appreciated films of all time, in my opinion).
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Where the Boys Aren't 9.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
War Child

How about Toy Story 2? The original was great, but I thought the sequel at least equalled it.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Wayne's World 2

Count it.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Hey Don't Forget God Father II It's a super kicker ass
Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
Where the Boys Aren't 9.

Guess that thread of mine inspired u huh , gotta check this one yet
Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaliz
How about Toy Story 2? The original was great, but I thought the sequel at least equalled it.
hell yeah