Self-financed albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Layton

War Child
Are these the ultimate non-sellout albums? If so, are they any better than record company financed albums? What are the best self-financed albums of all time? The only one I can think of right now is the Jimmy Eat World self-titled album in 2001. That thing sucked, though.

My feeling is that anybody who takes record company money to record is selling out to a degree, but that fact doesn't bother me in the least. To me, money matters alot of the time when trying to record great music.

maynard said it best:

all you know about me is what i've sold you, dumb fuck. i sold out long before you ever heard my name. i sold my soul to make a record, dip shit, And you bought one. all you read and wear or see and hear on tv is a product begging for your fatass dirty dollar so ... shut up and buy my new record send more money fuck you, buddy.

:sexywink:

Re: Re: Self-financed albums

gareth brown said:

Led Zeppelin I.

Is that album any better or more pure in spirit than Led Zeppelin II? Did 'selling out' somehow tarnish Led Zeppelin? My answer is no to both those questions, but I'm wondering if you concur.

Re: Re: Re: Self-financed albums

Layton said:

Is that album any better or more pure in spirit than Led Zeppelin II? Did 'selling out' somehow tarnish Led Zeppelin? My answer is no to both those questions, but I'm wondering if you concur.

I've always held Led Zeppelin in high regard not only for the amazing musicianship, but also because of the fact that that's all they've ever been concerned about. The music.

I'm not sure about who financed the recording and production of Led Zep II, so I couldn't really say they sold out. The music, to me stuck to the same excellent standard so I really couldn't say they sold out or not if Atlantic Records had financed the record.

I'm not really sure if that answers your question.

knox said:
Wasn't the White Stripes' Elephant self-financed?

Not sure, but I'm guessing not since their album before that one was held in pretty high regard. It seems a record company would've snatched them up after the critical and cult success of their debut album.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Self-financed albums

gareth brown said:

I've always held Led Zeppelin in high regard not only for the amazing musicianship, but also because of the fact that that's all they've ever been concerned about. The music.

I'm not sure about who financed the recording and production of Led Zep II, so I couldn't really say they sold out. The music, to me stuck to the same excellent standard so I really couldn't say they sold out or not if Atlantic Records had financed the record.

I'm not really sure if that answers your question.

Yeah, you answered me. I understand where you're coming from.

I believe that David Gray's White Ladder was self financed, I assume that most on here won't be fans but I think that it's gorgeous and it did sell well.
In my opinion there does seem to be a state of emotion on that album that isn't quite there on his other stuff, but I don't know whether that's what you are driving at.

Wasn't Toad The Wet Sprocket's first album (Bread & Circus) self financed? As I recall it was quite good also.

darkbuster, both albums. not touching the sell-out thing, self-financed albums are a royal pain in the ass to get ahold of at time or release and until the band gets financed/signed because pretty much the only place to get them is when you go see the band at a show. little to no distribution.

tarquinsuperb said:
I believe that David Gray's White Ladder was self financed, I assume that most on here won't be fans but I think that it's gorgeous and it did sell well.
In my opinion there does seem to be a state of emotion on that album that isn't quite there on his other stuff, but I don't know whether that's what you are driving at.

Come to think of it, White Ladder did have a better state of emotion than his more recent stuff. He's really turned into one of those 'coffeehouse' sounding bores, if you ask me. I'll blame that on his A&R guy. So, I'd say the record company has misguided Gray's music. Time for him to go back to financing his own stuff----lol.

Back
Top Bottom