Seeing the Rolling Stones and U2 in one week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quasi1970

The Fly
I'm seeing the Rolling Stones for the first time in San Diego in a couple weeks (after my two U2 shows in LA next week. I'm very appreciative that I'm seeing 2 rock legends in one week...if I could only get tickets to Paul McCartney in Anaheim then I'd complete the trifecta). I have no idea what to expect and I am not a huge fan (I have Sticky Fingers and the new album and have seen "Gimme Shelter"), but would like to see them at least once as I respect their status in rock and enjoy the songs that I've heard on the radio. I passed up on Nirvana tickets in January of 1994 (what turned out to be their last Seattle show) and I swore never to turn down the opportunity to see a well respected band when given the chance.

Anybody seen them before? What did you think? Was it too rehearsed? Spontaneous? Amazing? Dull?

I saw Paul McCartney in 2003 and it was an amazing show...though I heard his show is very scripted and predictable from multiple show attendees (but who cares when you're hearing "Hello Goodbye" live for the first time (maybe this is why U2 plays "Streets" every time).

You'll enjoy the Stones, always a good show and you'll be in awe of the energy a man in his 60's (Jagger) can still display on stage.
Not likely to be any spontanaeity at the show, but they still put on an excellent show.

I agree with you on the "never turn down an opportunity to see a good band" thing. I was fortunate enough to see Nirvana in Nov. 1993. The average rock band has a short career (we're lucky that U2 has endured so long and so well), so if you like a band, take the opportunity to see them, cause you never know if you'll get that opportunity again.

saw the Stones at the Meadowlands back in September for their current tour. you will not be disappointed. they can still rock.

Saw the Stones in 96:up: and then about 3-4 weeks ago in Pittsburgh:| eh...it was weird...they seemed to be in a huge hurry, they weren't bad...just didn't seem into it at all. The exciting part was Pearl Jam was the opener!! Thats really why we went in the first place:hyper::shh:
:wink:

christmas lights and wheel chair ramps:lmao:

Personally, I liked the christmas lights much more than the Stones stage set up. Other than having seats above the stage, i didn't think it was THAT impressive. And if my eyes did not deceive me, i think some of those seats were empty.

I'm a huge Stones fan and have seen them 22 times since 1981. You will not be disappointed at all with them. The only gripes people are having with their current tour, besides the incredibly high ticket prices, is that the setlists are favoring too many of the warhorse songs in each show. For someone who has never seen them, this should not be an issue. They also are doing usually 4 songs per night from their new album.

I have done the Stones and U2 in the same week twice before when the Stones were on the Bridges To Babylon tour and U2 was on Popmart. I saw the Stones at Dodger Stadium on November 9-10, 1997, then flew to Miami to see U2 on November 14th. I then saw both in Japan 1 each after another, seeing U2 in Osaka on March 11, 1998 and the Stones in Tokyo on March 12. It's very cool to see them back to back.

I will be seeing all 3 acts you want to see as well between November 1-12, with U2 at Staples on 1-2, the Stones in Anaheim on 4th and L.A. on 6th and 8th and McCartney in Anaheim on 11-12. It's just going to be an amzing 1 1/2 weeks of concert going.

I saw McCartney and the Stones a couple days apart in October 2002 as well.

Just got McCartney tickets on Ebay! Crap seats on the side of the stage (for just a bit over face), but as long as I can hear Paul, that's all I care about. I don't need to see the screens. The Trifecta is on! U2 in L.A., Rolling Stones the following Friday in San Diego, followed by Paul the very next night one hour north in Anaheim. I'll be in rock heaven. Then, it'll be a long winter with very little happening concert-wise. Mind as well get it in while I can. MSN lists the top 3 rock acts of all time as being...1. The Beatles 2. The Rolling Stones and 3. U2.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4595384/

I listened to Exile in Main Street today over and over today at work...great album. The new McCartney album is also quite impressive.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
I'm assuming he's referring to how it gets to its position, which was pretty cool.

Yeah that was very cool, I had the best seats in the house for 3 songs when I saw them do a stadium show in Charlottesville, Va last month. The stage and effects were top notch, as were the hired guns that they take on the road with them. The only downside was that although Mick is a great showman, his voice just didn't sound that great. I kinda wonder if it ever was any good.

Bono on the other hand, never sounded better when I saw U2 a couple of weeks latter at MCI center in DC. When Bono sounds good Edge seems to sound even better and I've never had better seats than the ones I had for this show (not GA, but main concourse just a few rows away from the elipse). If there was a downside, it was that in this tour it seems that they're trying to revive the spirtual experience of an 80's show at the expense of some of the energy of their 90's tours, or even Elevation for that matter (I would have loved a UTEOTW style bullfight right in front of me).

All in all it was a great month though, I'm sure you'll enjoy both shows.

Back
Top Bottom