searching for Dutch music info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
So I picked up this two disc Best Of Dutch Music '94 thingy sampler promotional only whatnot thingamajig for $7 at the new used CD store near my house, partly because I wanted a bit of a companion to Popmartijn's excellent 'Words and Music From The Lowlands' I received as part of the ICDE a couple of months back.

I have no idea who these bands are, so I'd appreciate some info. The first disc is some weird trance/techno things I don't really like, but the second disc has some excellent songs on it. Cheers.

1) The Serenes - Every Sunday
2) The Prodigal Sons - You Still Think
3) The Watchman - Storm Storm
4) Shine - Promised Land
5) Hallo Venray - I Don't Wanna Know
6) Magic Fish - Absolutely Free
7) Chicas del Rock - Buzz
8) Cords - American Woman
9) Nerve - Coins
10) Kong - Arabloop
11) Beatcream - Urban Cowboy
12) La Lupa - Daddy's Tree
13) Doppelgangers - Gangster Chronicles
14) Osdorp Posse & Nembrionic Hammerdeath
15) Scooby Scoop feat. New Concept - Knockin' Da Bootz On Jazz
16) Darrell Bell - No Shit
17) Bonecrushin' - Go Dutch

The Prodigal Sons, The Watchman, Hallo Venray, Cords, Osdorp Posse are the only bands out of that list I've even heard about

so obviously I'm the wrong person to answer this :up:

Hello Yertle,

Thanks for the compliment. :)
About the acts you mention, I have to admit there are quite a few I don't know. Since you have the CD it's no use describing the music as you can hear it yourself. A good place to search for more info is the website of the Dutch Rock & Pop Institute, located at:
http://www.hollandrocks.com
They have an encyclopedia with info about (some of) the acts.

There are two acts I want to single out. Nerve is a duo and one of its members is Tom Holkenborg. Later on he would start Junkie XL (or JXL for the Elvis Presley remix of A Little Less Conversation).
Then you have the Osdorp Posse. They are a hardcore Dutch hiphop crew, rapping in Dutch. They started with the gimmick of literaly translating US slang into Dutch (which makes the term motherf:censored:er suddenly quite comic). Later on they developed into a bit more original crew, with sharp lyrics. Sometimes they join forces with the metal band Nembrionic Hammerhead (I believe they're currently called only Nembrionic), among which on the Beastie Boys cover Geen Slaap Tot Osdorp (No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn). You haven't mentioned the title of the song on this compilation, but I won't be surprised if it's this song.

Anyway, check out the link. ;)

C ya!

Marty

Salome said:
The Prodigal Sons, The Watchman, Hallo Venray, Cords, Osdorp Posse are the only bands out of that list I've even heard about

so obviously I'm the wrong person to answer this :up:

same for me! except i dont know cords but do know shine (second band from fatal flowers' lead singer richard janssen)

I kinda like that track, actually.

BTW, have you ever heard Extince rap in English? I have a song of him from 1988 or so on a compilation. Holland Rocks Da House, but not if he does it. :D

Salome said:
me too :up:
didn't make me want to buy the single though :D

At this moment I have only one downloaded MP3 on my computer: Superman Lovers - Starlight.

I am in the process of ripping my entire CD collection to my computer though (currently around 90 ripped albums and counting)

oh my marty. im ripping like 10 songs off various cd's and its driving me nuts. i cant imagine ripping the entire collection...
but then, i killed nero in the process of doing this and wasted like 2 hours as the quality from nero turned it to an unlistenable 80 kbs or some crap.
:sigh:

salome said exactly the same thing (i think) about getting the wrong impression of dutch music from that song. i think i have lost this mp3 though.
:( i want to hear it again.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom