Sean Penn bugs the hell out of me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by corianderstem
Yeah, I agree. Just because I wasn't living the life of trying to get laid and get drunk every night in high school doesn't mean other teens weren't.
But, the fact that the movie was portrayed as EVERYONE was doing this in their high school years (during the 80's) :hmm:
That's what I find as a 'highly-exaggerated' plot for this movie. That is how the completely 'unrealistic' part comes into play. Simply because NOT EVERY single solitary person WAS attempting to be so-ooo (let's say) popular. Most, and I mean most, were setting a positive example. :yes:

I couldn't relate to the goal of sex and partying, and I found myself annoyed by the characters instead of finding them funny. But ANYWAY. Back to Fast Times ...)
Exactly ... you just 'hit the nail on the head' with Fast Times. :up:

And how was the abortion plotline unrealistic? Did girls not need abortions in the 80s?
Well, if some did need to 'go that route' ... it was never discussed or made public. In fact, usually it was those few who would abandon schooling where ever they were to avoid further embarrassment. :ohmy:

I don't know.

I own this on DVD and have seen it a few times and missed the part where they say "This is a film that represents the lives of every single teenager alive today". I mean, when I watch Goodfellas am I supposed to think that Scorcese is telling me that everyone alive then was a wise guy.

It was a comedy.

Focused on selected teenaged life in Southern California.

Where I lived. And where people I know either related to some of the characters, or, knew people like the characters.

Teenagers looking to get laid??? Teenagers getting wasted??? What???????? Hell, I knew people like this and I grew up in the Bronx. In the 80's.

It's a comedy.

No spoken words said:

Teenagers looking to get laid??? Teenagers getting wasted??? What???????? Hell, I knew people like this and I grew up in the Bronx. In the 80's.

And it's still like this in high school today... in Central Florida.

MsMofoGone said:

Exactly. That movie depicted what goes on, more so in today's society.

What? This completely contradicts your argument.

Unless time travel was invented in 1982.

Last edited:
Originally posted by No spoken words
I don't know.

I own this on DVD and have seen it a few times and missed the part where they say "This is a film that represents the lives of every single teenager alive today". I mean, when I watch Goodfellas am I supposed to think that Scorcese is telling me that everyone alive then was a wise guy.

It was a comedy.

Focused on selected teenaged life in Southern California.

Where I lived. And where people I know either related to some of the characters, or, knew people like the characters.

It's a comedy.

It may have happened SOMEWHAT in the 80's ... but it was NOT 'common knowledge' to EXPECT those situations to 'constantly' be happening back then. That is my point as to WHY that movie was unrealistic for that particular era. Every time you saw a scene during Fast Times ... it was oriented about 'having a good time' or 'partying and getting stoned' !! It made an assumption that 'this is how things are happening on a constant basis to those high schooler's during this time in their lives'. If there was even one actor/actress in that movie that was NOT obsessed with 'getting down' or feeling the need to 'waste themselves' into oblivion ... then I might have felt differently about that movie. But they all portrayed the same scenario ... and rather badly. And as for the Bronx ... let's just say that it's never been considered a non problematic city. It's almost like comparing parts of Downtown Chicago or even areas in LA. Now, if you would have said ... Madison, WI or Louisville, KY ... then I would have been surprised.

It's part of teenage life, moreso now than before. I'm of the age of the characters in the movie, and while I'm not personally like them, I know people who have characteristics similar to at least one character.

Louisville and Madison don't have people 14-18 in their cities? Insane.

Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

What? This completely contradicts your argument.

Unless time travel was invented in 1982.

Originally posted by MsMofoGone
Yes indeed, another 'venture' in this movie that was NOT realistic for the 80's generation. You could say that this should have been a 90's made movie. Then I would consider it more realistic to the changing times of society.

And exactly what part of my previous post above ... did you NOT understand. :shrug:

The last time I checked "changing times of society" meant that past or current times, as those are what change, in general. :up:

I read what you said, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

A movie based on somewhat true stories (by Cameron Crowe on a report for Rolling Stone, but that's besides the point) isn't relevant in the early '80s at all?

I can see that aspects are still relevant after 25 years, that's part of my point. Whatever, I'm done with this discussion.

It's sad that Sean Penn won't be in Fast Times at Ridgemont High 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I never said it was NOT relevant in the 80's ... I did say this.
Originally posted by MsMofoGone
It may have happened SOMEWHAT in the 80's ... but it was NOT 'common knowledge' to EXPECT those situations to 'constantly' be happening back then.

But, it is time to move on with this discussion ... yes, I can agree with that. :up:

I must've missed the capitalizations and exclamation points, my mistake.

428MOVIEIAMSAM.jpg

discuss.

Me too.

But when he's trying to set his message machine up and goes "HIIII THIS IS A SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!" there's absolutely no way I can't laugh.

It's become a comic staple amongst me and my friends.

It had a good soundtrack, I'll give it that.

I was just sooooo surprised when the workaholic lawyer lady learned something about herself and about life! That never happens in movies! And oh, we all can learn something about our lives from the mentally retarded!

Other than that bit, I don't remember why I disliked it so strongly. I just did. It grated on me.

And also? This is going to sound like I'm criticizing those of you quoting Penn's lines from the movie, but I promise you I mean no offense. BUT. It makes it sound like people like the movie because it's funny to quote mentally retarded people. Because they talk funny.

(That isn't coming out the way I mean it, but I can't really think of how to say what I want to say. Maybe it's meant more in praise of Sean Penn's performance.)

Again, nothing personal. The movie just really rubbed me the wrong way. ... as you can see. :wink:

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
And also? This is going to sound like I'm criticizing those of you quoting Penn's lines from the movie, but I promise you I mean no offense. BUT. It makes it sound like people like the movie because it's funny to quote mentally retarded people. Because they talk funny.

None taken, but I thought it was a good movie regardless of that scene. The Pfieffer character arc was predictable, but it was still enjoyable, at least for me.

Oh, and Dakota Fanning. :up:

I love Sean Penn. He's my hero. He went to Katrina to rescue people when Bush left them to die.

And he's a great actor.

"The Assassination of Richard Nixon"!

elevation2u said:
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic
but his performance in Assissiantion of Nixon
was pretty solid!
Not being sarcastic at all. I usually never am because I'm compulsive about trying to be clear. I loved that film and his performance in it. It spoke to me; I really get that character and identify with him. Except the innocent peolpe he injured (which I don't agree with), I kinda feel like that guy. Then again, I also identify with Nixon and his shyness, insecurities, and bitterness, so what does that say about me?!

I think Sean Penn is great. Who I think is overrated is Johnny Depp. His movies suck and his roles are superficial, except, like, Donnie Brasco which was okay. Also Robin Wright Penn is sexy in a sophisticated kinda way. He gets extra points for that choice.

Last edited:
MsMofoGone said:

Yes indeed, another 'venture' in this movie that was NOT realistic for the 80's generation. You could say that this should have been a 90's made movie. Then I would consider it more realistic to the changing times of society. :up:

Really? Hell I knew girls who had abortions in high school in the late 70's. Maybe it missed the 80's.... :hmm: And there was plenty of drug use then too. By nice kids in nice neighbourhoods.

I do have to admit to being very excited for the new Sean Penn-directed "Into the Wild," which comes out in September. I absolutely LOVED the book and can't wait to see how it translated to the big screen.

corianderstem said:
I do have to admit to being very excited for the new Sean Penn-directed "Into the Wild," which comes out in September. I absolutely LOVED the book and can't wait to see how it translated to the big screen.

Plus Emile Hirsch is a completely underrated young actor.

Last edited:
I'm also quite excited about the Into The Wild, I had to read the book couple years back for class and really enjoyed it. So when I read that Sean Penn was making it into film I was quite enthused, also I really like Emile Hirsch ...at least what I've seen him in ..the Emperor's Club (I love Kevin Kline) and even that somewhat lame skateboarding movie (Heath Ledger was also amazing in it).

off topic, but I'm very anxious for the Dylan film I'm Not There, I remember reading about it in Rolling Stone back in 04 and have been waiting ever since. Photos finally emerged, so that's a step forward!

It still cracks me up that Emile Hirsch and Paul Dano were both in The Girl Next Door, now they're doing these supercereal dramatic roles.

I'll still love them in that movie though, a forgotten classic. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom