Scotty Bowman to coach the Canucks next year? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Scotty Bowman to coach the Canucks next year?

I honestly think Crawford was outcoached by Lemaire. Also, his players don't respect Crawford as much as Lemaire's players do. Crawford isn't very likable, and I don't know if players will ever give it their all for him. My solution: Burke should do whatever he can to bring Scotty Bowman out of retirement and coach the Vancouver Canucks. Bowman might be bored enough with retirement, and so much in need of a challenge, that he may actually go for it. I think the Canucks could certainly afford him given how much profit they've made this year (especially with the playoff games). Could you imagine the frenzy if the Canucks got Bowman? How cool would that be!

Beam us up Scotty!

Old 05-09-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:02 PM
keep dreaming, dream boy.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But you have to admit, as far as dreams go, it's a pretty decent one.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:46 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

its already been done by blues fans my man. he used to coach the blues so it would be a triumphant return to home for him, but he isnt coming out of retirement, so no use wasting time even thinking about it.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Here's another GREAT dream, and this one is much more realistic: the Canucks should sign unrestricted free agent Sergei Fedorov this summer! He'd be a perfect fit. He's a defensive minded offensive player, so he'd be perfect centering Naslund and Bertuzzi who are horrible in their own ends. He'd also create much more offensive chances for them than Morrison does. Morrison can become the second line centre, adding more depth to that line! Fedorov only makes 2 mill per season right now, too (I was shocked). Of course, the Canucks would have to pay him more if they signed him. What do you think?
Old 05-09-2003, 08:12 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

No no no.

If he were to come out of retirement, we get him.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

are you still michael? federov will likely at least get 7 million a year, you really think the canucks could afford that in one player? the better question is, is that really smart anyway? for that kind of scratch you can get 3 good players instead of just one. As we have seen in this years playoffs, top paid superstars dont equal playoff success. 23 out of the 24 top paid players are playing golf.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:25 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes they are playing golf, but as you said, this year may be an anomoly. Also, Fedorov is not just your average $7 mill player. Like I said, he's defensively responsible and offensively gifted. A perfect fit for Vancouver's top line. I do think the Canucks could afford him. They made a significant profit *before* the playoffs even started. And as we all know, teams make pure profit during the playoffs (minus overhead) because they don't pay the players for the playoffs. I think the Canucks made more money this year than they have in years. If they get rid of some of their roster, such as Letowski, Langdon, and Baron (which they likely will), they wil have even more free cash to spend.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:50 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

i think another thing to take into account is next year will be the last before perhaps a lengthy work stoppage, that people are saying could even last a year or two. supposedly there are gonna be "big changes" with something resembling a salary cap. so it will be an interesting off season to see how many big contracts are given out and what not.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:09 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Good point, Chizip. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if this work stoppage can possibly be avoided. God, I hope so.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

me too, but right now everything i have heard sounds really bad. i wouldnt be surprised if a full season gets wiped out, if not more.

Quote:
Bob Goodenow, executive director of the NHL Players Association, attended yesterday's game and had this to say on the owners' push for a salary cap in the next collective bargaining agreement in 2004: "There will never be a salary cap. I've told the players to be prepared for a long lockout by the owners. It may last a year, it may last two or three years, but we will never accept a salary cap. This isn't the NFL. I'm confident the players are prepared for whatever happens."
Old 05-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Scotty is still a consultant with the Wings, and I'm sure he's kept busy with scouting activities and such... I don't see him moving to Vancouver. Same with Fedorov, the price tag is too big and Sergei has too many cars to move.

As for the CBA expiring next year, I don't care how it goes... if there's a strike that's fine. BUT if they don't fix the financial infrastructure of the game and work out some sort of revenue sharing program... than I think everyone will be thoroughly disappointed. It's better to lose a little hockey now, to make the future game more fiscally sound.

Like Chizzer says, with a strike looming... it's doubtful that any big deals will be made, but you might see the big teams "loading" up for one last run. I think this will give players like Roy the incentive to play one more year, as this next season might be the most competitive one ever. The Ultimate Stanley Cup Playoffs... hopefully with a bit of a different result than this year
Old 05-09-2003, 10:30 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Scotty Bowman to coach the Canucks next year?

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
I honestly think Crawford was outcoached by Lemaire. Also, his players don't respect Crawford as much as Lemaire's players do.
A key difference in the series!

Vancouver was a WAY more talented team, which sometimes can translate to "not easy to coach."

Scotty is not coming out of retirement. If he wanted to coach a team with a lot of potential to win a stanley cup, he would have stuck with Detroit. And I think Detroit would have played Anaheim a bit differently if Scotty was still there.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:19 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:02 PM
Re: Re: Scotty Bowman to coach the Canucks next year?

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
And I think Detroit would have played Anaheim a bit differently if Scotty was still there.
Thank you... that made my day. You're now on my Christmas list... your George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine is in the mail ...
Old 05-10-2003, 02:30 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Man, I'm so depressed. I still can't believe Vancouver is out of the playoffs. It's such a shock. People are crying in the streets. Grown men are weeping. What happened? After the 1st period last night, in which Vancouver outshot Minny 12-5, I turned to my friend and said Vancouver may be outplaying them, but they're still off. There's something wrong. It was in the execution. It was in the delivery. They just lost their confidence, their pizzazz. They were *hoping* to score instead of doing it at *will* like they had all season long before the playoffs. It was sad to see, and even though they went up 2-0 late in the 2nd period, and even though I told myself they had an 80% chance of winning, I still felt they weren't quite there yet. Something was still off, and it turned out I was right. But what happened? What changed? What was the real reason behind their fall? I think there must have been something that no one has talked about, something maybe behind the scenes. It's all very strange. This is a team that was the tightest group in all of hockey 2 months ago. They're all best friends off the ice. Even Bertuzzi said he'd rather see Naslund score than score himself. They're totally unselfish and this team has the best chemistry in the league. So, someone tell me! What happened?

End of rant.