Scott Weiland back in lockdown - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2003, 12:49 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard

Yeah, no.

Have you heard sober/stable Scott? Shangri-La DeeDa? If you have you might realize the perks of his drug-induced creativity...

The band would most certainly not be better performance-wise if Scott was on the wagon (i.e. off the habit).

Not that I'm condoning a drug lifestyle, but in this case there is a large disparity in the work of Stone Temple Pilots comparatively. The band would be more stable and competent to work... but if they just hashed out another Days of The Week it would be a useless effort.

Don't knock'em till you try 'em.

I doubt he's ever been 100% sober.
I really haven't any paid attention after Purple because they sucked ever since. I don't think STP have gone anywhere creatively since Purple. IMO I blame it on Weiland's drug addiction
And drugs suck

Old 11-02-2003, 01:13 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:30 PM
Validation

Old 11-03-2003, 01:45 AM   #18
Refugee

This is from his bandmate Matt Sorum of Velvet Revolver.

MATT SORUM Speaks Out On SCOTT WEILAND's Latest Arrest - Nov. 2, 2003

VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum (ex-GUNS N' ROSES) says that the band are fully behind their lead singer, Scott Weiland (STONE TEMPLE PILOTS), who has once again run afoul of the law. Weiland was arrested on Monday morning (October 27) in Hollywood when he crashed his BMW into several parked cars. Although he tried to leave the scene, he was quickly apprehended and charged with driving under the influence of narcotics as well as a misdemeanor hit-and-run.

Weiland, who turned 36 on October 27, has previously been arrested for drug possession in 1995, 1997, 1998, and in May of this year.

Sorum says Weiland's latest incident may be a result of personal and business pressures. "All this stuff, when this big machine cranks up, it's just too overwhelming for him. And being newly clean and everything, you know, he hasn't been handling it very well. It's a lot of pressure, and he just, you know, hasn't been handling it. So it's probably a good thing he's gonna go away, but when he comes out, he'll be feeling good, and we're gonna get back at it, and I know that's what he wants the most."

On Thursday (October 30), a Pasadena judge ordered Weiland to enter rehab immediately. Weiland will be housed at the Grandview detox facility in Pasadena for seven to ten days, where he will not be allowed visitors or phone calls. After that, he begins a six-month stay in a lockdown facility, but the judge will allow him to leave rehab under supervision between November 7 and 17 to finish recording vocals for VELVET REVOLVER's upcoming debut album, due out in March.

Sorum, who went through rehab five years ago and has been clean since, described the facility Weiland will be staying at. "You know, there's everyone there from convicts to people who have committed crimes through drugs, you know. So it's a good system, you know. It seems to work. It straightened me out, let me put it to you that way."

Weiland, again, needs serious help.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:41 PM   #19
New Yorker

unfortunately, i sort of lump this whole saga in with another singer who's days were numbered: layne staley. aic fans basically were just waiting around to hear of his demise, as awful as that sounds. but when i turned on the tv that one day and heard he had been found dead, well i can't say i was surprised. the same goes for scott weiland. i've been a big stp fan for over 10 years now, they partly originated from my hometown of san diego & scott actually resides in coronado, ca. but like staley, i don't think i'll be too shocked when the day rolls around that he's found dead. and it pisses me off to no end because he's such a talented artist to be fucking around with drugs etc...he needs help & i just wish he would leave the music business for a bit and get his act together. he needs to focus on himself, not hurrying up to get thru rehab so he can lay down vocal tracks for the velvet revolver album. that can wait. his health cannot. i'm so sick of this shit. i wish he could get better. anyway, enough of my ranting. just wanted to put my 2 cents in, whatever it's worth.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:09 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Quote:
...layne staley....
yeah him. i was going to say 'lane staley' and i new something was wrong with that.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:03 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:30 PM
I think their last 2 albums and Scott's solo album 12 Bar Blues are the best. I never liked them before #4. I do hope he will straighten out before he dies though.

If anyone thinks #4 'sucks' have you ever listened to Atlanta, Glide, and I Got You? They're beautiful. They all sound like stuff all you U2 and Coldplay freaks would love. (much better than Coldplay by far) Unfortunately, I think I Got You is a love song to herion, but oh well. Who am I to judge. I like the song.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:30 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:30 PM
I don't think you guys really understand the nature of addiction. A person isn't a loser or an ass or a jerk for being an addict. They can't just say no. They can't just stop doing drugs. They have a disease, one that is very very very difficult to cure. It's like saying 'just stop having cancer, ok? just stop it!' Sure there's a lot one can do but it's a life struggle and many can't overcome it. John Frusciante is an example of a success, though, (actually more like a miracle) so it's possible.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I don't think you guys really understand the nature of addiction. A person isn't a loser or an ass or a jerk for being an addict. They can't just say no. They can't just stop doing drugs. They have a disease, one that is very very very difficult to cure. It's like saying 'just stop having cancer, ok? just stop it!' Sure there's a lot one can do but it's a life struggle and many can't overcome it. John Frusciante is an example of a success, though, (actually more like a miracle) so it's possible.
Well, in Scott's case look in the environment he is always surrounded. He's a rock star and rock=drugs.
As an addict and in environment of rock stardom, what do you expect??
Maybe he should reach out (and touch faith) and talk to Dave Gahan because he was in a similar situation.
So I don't know, I think a person has the will to stop if they really want to with the appropriate treatment. I don't see it comparable to cancer. I'm sure Scott has the funds to get top notch treatment but those he have the will?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:41 AM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:30 AM
well im going to a show in november 15 .
CAMP FREDDY is the Los Angeles-based "jam" band consisting of JANE'S ADDICTION guitarist Dave Navarro, former THE CULT touring bassist Billy Morrison (on guitar), ex-GUNS N' ROSES/THE CULT drummer Matt Sorum, bassist Scott Ford, and vocalist Donovan Leitch (the son of 1960s U.K. folk-rock icon Donovan).

VELVET REVOLVER members Slash and Duff McKagan (both formerly of GUNS N' ROSES), along with THE SEX PISTOLS guitarist Steve Jones and ex-BUCKCHERRY frontman Joshua Todd
will jam with the band.

(im sure scott will be there.)

yaaaaaa im going to see slash live.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:37 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury

I'm sure Scott has the funds to get top notch treatment but those he have the will?
Addiction is a brain disease. A strong will might overcome drug abuse but drug addiction is a whole other monster. Addicts aren't just simply weak-willed. I've seen it close up and personal so much in my life and spent countless hours talking with friends who have the genetic disease of addiction and what they go through every minute is just unbelievable. Even Anthony Kiedis says that the counterforce to the will to stay clean is nearly unbearable and he is not at all sure that he will be able to stay clean the rest of his life. Every addict I have ever known says the same thing, regardless of how long they have been off drugs. I guess all I'm really saying is please be careful about confusing the person with the disease.

Here is an excerpt from an interesting article in Playboy along with a link to the whole article:

Quote:
Depending on whom you ask, relapse rates for residential treatment programs range from 60 to 90 percent. ... Official data that does exist, however, points in the same direction. A 1994 study for the Office of National Drug Control Policy concluded that eight of every ten cocaine users relapsed within three to five years of treatment. And an authoritative 1994 study known as the California Drug and Alcohol Treatment Assessment found that while addicts who went through treatment were less likely to commit crimes or end up in the hospital, most continued to get high -- three out of four junkies still shot up after rehab and two of three alcoholics kept on drinking....

...But perhaps the single most pernicious force working against rehab is the disease itself, which researchers have only recently begun to understand as matter of biology as well as will. Neuroscientists now say prolonged use of drugs can literally rewire the brain’s mesolimbic dopamine system -- known as the pleasure pathway -- prompting a lifetime of nonstop, bombarding impulses to relapse.

“Someone who is truly dependent has gone past the point of no return with their brain chemistry,” says Dr. Carlton Erickson, professor of pharmacology at the University of Texas and the director of the Addiction Science Research and Education Center. “Their brain chemistry is going to be that way for the rest of their lives. It won’t repair itself. It will continue to tell them that they need the drug to feel normal.”

From that perspective, 28 days of sobriety, group therapy and cafeteria food is more like a small start than a triumphant resolution. “People seem to think you can go somewhere, follow a program and come out fixed,” says Dr. Alan Leshner, Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. “The sad truth is that addiction is a chronic relapsing illness. Relapse is part of the disease. There isn’t a magic bullet and there probably never will be.”
http://www.christophernoxon.com/playboy_sub_rehab.html
Old 11-05-2003, 05:44 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into an FYM thread but it is a subject I am passionate about.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:47 AM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into an FYM thread but it is a subject I am passionate about.
Do not apologize for expressing your feelings. I totally agree with your points 100%. I also have had the unfortunate experience in dealing with family and friends who have battled this disease. Some have made it, some have not. It is heart breaking to watch someone you love struggle to stay sober and how you feel helpless because you can't do a damn thing to help them. It is something I wouldn't wish on anybody.

I will keep Scott Weiland and the others who suffer from addiction in my prayers.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:16 AM   #28
New Yorker

Quote:

well, i understand. my brother died of a heroin overdose. we had no idea anything was going on, and i guess he was too ashamed to ask for help. he was in too deep. and i think thats the first step, admitting you need help. seems scott weiland isn't there just yet. denial is a powerful thing. anyway...just my 2 cents
Old 11-05-2003, 11:48 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HeadsOnSticks

well, i understand. my brother died of a heroin overdose. we had no idea anything was going on, and i guess he was too ashamed to ask for help. he was in too deep. and i think thats the first step, admitting you need help. seems scott weiland isn't there just yet. denial is a powerful thing. anyway...just my 2 cents
I'm so sorry.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:06 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2ME3

Do not apologize for expressing your feelings. I totally agree with your points 100%. I also have had the unfortunate experience in dealing with family and friends who have battled this disease. Some have made it, some have not. It is heart breaking to watch someone you love struggle to stay sober and how you feel helpless because you can't do a damn thing to help them. It is something I wouldn't wish on anybody.
One thing that's so painful about it is that the addicts I've known, especially the chronic relapsers, are among the most incredible, talented, sensitive, special people I've known. The shame they feel about the behavior that accompanies the addiction when they're using is so deep.

HeadsOnSticks is so right about the denial. I have certainly known addicts in denial. But most of the addicts I have known were/are not in denial. They truly, desperately, want to stop using, and can't. That line in that quote above--"Neuroscientists now say prolonged use of drugs can literally rewire the brain’s mesolimbic dopamine system -- known as the pleasure pathway -- prompting a lifetime of nonstop, bombarding impulses to relapse."-- rings so true to me.