Scott Walker's(U2 adores him) new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LastEdgeOnEarth said:

I don't what you folks listen too outside of U2 maybe, but if you're not familiar with Walker and delved right into this album, you would for all intents and purposes HATE IT.

Sorry, you're really not helping your case here. Please don't assume what people will love or hate. That's like someone saying "Don't start with POP, you'll HATE IT" when in fact it's some fans' favorite U2 record. Or like an Ok Computer fan telling someone not to start with Kid A because they would HATE IT when it's some Radiohead fans favorite record. By all means, tell us what you like and why without assuming what we'll love or hate.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

If you have never listened to any music outside of three chords and the big hook, then go away and come back when you have. If you think because you listen to "Coldplay" and "Keane" or "Mogwai" or "The Arcade Fire" that you are ready for anything, think again. Because you woudn't be ready for Scott Walker.

Start with Tilt

You still sound like a pretentious twit...:rolleyes:

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Hate to tell ya, but the joke's on you....Scott Walker doesn't care.

I need to clarify a few things. I never JUMPED all over anybody or flipped out. I may get a little carried away with ENTHUSIASM but thats all. Your favorites do that at times to all of you folks as well I'm sure. So sorry for getting excited....when the one dude said he heard one of the new album, it sounded like it was the first he ever heard of him which scared me.I saw all these replies from people who never heard of him, when I was expecting everyone to say "sweet, been waiting for this!". Thats why I regretted posting this, because I saw where this thread was headed fast, And I was right. Maybe I didn't help it much though, so let me start again....

I don't what you folks listen too outside of U2 maybe, but if you're not familiar with Walker and delved right into this album, you would for all intents and purposes HATE IT. I assumed there were more people at this forum familiar with Walker, based on the fact that U2 have been fans of his since the early 80's. This thread was meant for Scott Walker enthusiasts or at least people who know his later, avant-garde stuff. But if you're curious and enjoy taking chances on new music, then let me try to help you.

If you really are interested in his new album, then please listen to his 1995 album "Tilt" first. It's the only way you'll be able to even begin appreciating the new album. This is truly music from another galaxy. The words, the melodies(if you can find any), the soundscapes, the production. It's like a real bad nightmare, at least that's how Walker describes it). One you might not want to go near again if you don't listen to some stuff off "Tilt" first.

If you have never listened to any music outside of three chords and the big hook, then go away and come back when you have. If you think because you listen to "Coldplay" and "Keane" or "Mogwai" or "The Arcade Fire" that you are ready for anything, think again. Because you woudn't be ready for Scott Walker.

Start with Tilt

Okay, I just reread the whole thing again and am even more annoyed. Statements like "you wouldn't be ready for Scott Walker"...come on, get over yourself. :rolleyes:

I'm not ready for Scott Walker.
sad-smiley-002.gif
What ever shall I do? I so was looking forward to hearing music from another galaxy - but I'm not ready!

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Start with Tilt

Seriously Katie, call my sister. She has your pink "toe socks" and your Fall Out Boy CD.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:
If you think because you listen to "Coldplay" and "Keane" or "Mogwai" or "The Arcade Fire" that you are ready for anything, think again. Because you woudn't be ready for Scott Walker.

insulting the people you're trying to win over. nice.

you say you're a columnist?

you might want to learn a thing or two about audience and purpose.

GibsonGirl said:
I'm not ready for Scott Walker.
sad-smiley-002.gif
What ever shall I do? I so was looking forward to hearing music from another galaxy - but I'm not ready!

none of us are ready for Scott Walker, he is too advanced for mere mortals to comprehend :sad:

There are so many hilarious (intentional and unintentional) comments in this thread. Instant classic.

:happy:

He reminds me of a cross between "Antony and the Johnsons" (whom I see is listed as one of Walker's followers on AllMusic.com) with the arcane inaccessibility of "Jandek."

Anyway, I have a feeling that the "Jandek" factor here is driving a lot of his popularity. Everyone loves a reclusive musician.

Melon

look,

can someone confirm u2 "adores him", before i check him out?

i need another source, or more details.
tks=n=advse
caisenma

Oh dear. LastEdgeOnEarth, I certainly hope you aren't in public relations or publicity, because you really suck at it. :huh:

I really wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you got carried away by your enthusiasm, but after today's post the pretentious twit comment someone else made seems fairy appropriate. Maybe you aren't really aren't a pretentious twit, but you are certainly doing an Oscar-worthy job of acting like one. :eyebrow:

Being the perverse person I am, I'm tempted to give The Drift a listen, just because you say I will absolutely hate it. :D

Ah, fuck! I just read he (Walker) was born in Ohio -- that explains it. It's enough to permanently warp anyone! :lol:

Maybe he/she/creature is using reverse psychology on us because people are actually checking him out now....

I know of Walker because of my Dad, I like but I only have a Best of the Walker Brothers thing, but I know he greatly influenced one of my favourite artists, The Divine Comedy.

I subscribe to Rhapsody, so I did a search for Scott Walker. They don't have Tilt available for streaming, but his latest album, The Drift, is on there. I'm listening to it right now. I'm really impressed. He kind of reminds me of Antony and the Johnsons and Rufus Wainwright, especially the vocals.

Hope that helps anyone who was wary of checking him out.

joyfulgirl said:

Sorry, you're really not helping your case here. Please don't assume what people will love or hate. That's like someone saying "Don't start with POP, you'll HATE IT" when in fact it's some fans' favorite U2 record. Or like an Ok Computer fan telling someone not to start with Kid A because they would HATE IT when it's some Radiohead fans favorite record. By all means, tell us what you like and why without assuming what we'll love or hate.

See now this is interesting. You keep using bands like U2 and Radiohead as examples, and it's humourous. You just don't get it. Those aforementioned bands write "conventional" rock and and pop songs for the most part. Scott Walker does not. (Radiohead can write some half-way challenging and experimental music, but U2 doesn't-they tried with Pop, my favorite, but haven't gone there since.) There was a time Scott did, but all of that was slowly vaporized, beginning in 1978 when he wrote 4 little known songs on an album called "Nite Flights" with The Walker Brothers. Songs like "The Electrician" and "The Shut Out" were post-rock before post rock was invented. Then came the minimalist drone of 84's "Climate of Hunter", followed 11 years later by the tragic "Tilt", and now after another 11 years, the horriffic nightmare of "The Drift"

And of course Pitchfork loved it.....they put "Tilt" in their top 100 albums of the 90's. They know good music. Unlike many of he boring and predictable "smart" fans that have replied this thread. For those that have checked him out, because you're looking to be challenged for a change, I praise you!

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

You just don't get it.

And of course Pitchfork loved it.....they put "Tilt" in their top 100 albums of the 90's. They know good music. Unlike many of he boring and predictable "smart" fans that have replied this thread. For those that have checked him out, because you're looking to be challenged for a change, I praise you!

:bow: Let's all bow down to the almighty and all knowing of good music; Pitchfork and LastEdgeOnEarth.

For they are the only ones that get it.

:|
I hope you realize you single handedly turned off this whole board from Walker with your pretentious attitude.

I hope you "get" that.

Last edited:
LastEdgeOnEarth said:

:rolleyes:

mr. brau, now that we have an ACTUAL pretentious asshole in our midst, where the hell are you???

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

See now this is interesting. You keep using bands like U2 and Radiohead as examples, and it's humourous.

And of course Pitchfork loved it.....they put "Tilt" in their top 100 albums of the 90's. They know good music. Unlike many of he boring and predictable "smart" fans that have replied this thread.

Yes, poor dumb me. Scott Walker squeaked in at #92 while Ok Computer landed at #1. I must also not get how to interpret these complicated lists either.

:giggle:

we is folks, hitman.

who says folks anymore?

what kind of a mad man uses the word folks?

:toilet:

joyfulgirl said:

Yes, poor dumb me. Scott Walker squeaked in at #92 while Ok Computer landed at #1. I must also not get how to interpret these complicated lists either.

:giggle:

Comparing Radiohead to Scott Walker(even though they are fans of each other)is like comparing "Empty Nest" to "Twin Peaks".
The only thing "joyful" about you squirt, is that the kids on the playground used to call you "Large Marge"!

This thread is like looking at tabloid magazines. You know you shouldn't bother with them because the content is utter crap. But then you end up opening the rag mag in the checkout aisle anyway.

:|

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Comparing Radiohead to Scott Walker(even though they are fans of each other)is like comparing "Empty Nest" to "Twin Peaks".
The only thing "joyful" about you squirt, is that the kids on the playground used to call you "Large Marge"!
hey, you know what?

we're ALL sorry that you came back.

maybe you should go back to sticking your head up scott walker's ass and get the fuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom