Scott Walker's(U2 adores him) new album - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:48 PM
Oh dear. LastEdgeOnEarth, I certainly hope you aren't in public relations or publicity, because you really suck at it.

I really wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you got carried away by your enthusiasm, but after today's post the pretentious twit comment someone else made seems fairy appropriate. Maybe you aren't really aren't a pretentious twit, but you are certainly doing an Oscar-worthy job of acting like one.

Being the perverse person I am, I'm tempted to give The Drift a listen, just because you say I will absolutely hate it.

Ah, fuck! I just read he (Walker) was born in Ohio -- that explains it. It's enough to permanently warp anyone!

Old 05-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #47
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:48 PM
Maybe he/she/creature is using reverse psychology on us because people are actually checking him out now....

I know of Walker because of my Dad, I like but I only have a Best of the Walker Brothers thing, but I know he greatly influenced one of my favourite artists, The Divine Comedy.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:15 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:48 PM
I subscribe to Rhapsody, so I did a search for Scott Walker. They don't have Tilt available for streaming, but his latest album, The Drift, is on there. I'm listening to it right now. I'm really impressed. He kind of reminds me of Antony and the Johnsons and Rufus Wainwright, especially the vocals.

Hope that helps anyone who was wary of checking him out.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #49
The Fly

Yes! It's working.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:48 PM
This thread just makes me think of Walker, Texas Ranger.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #51
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Sorry, you're really not helping your case here. Please don't assume what people will love or hate. That's like someone saying "Don't start with POP, you'll HATE IT" when in fact it's some fans' favorite U2 record. Or like an Ok Computer fan telling someone not to start with Kid A because they would HATE IT when it's some Radiohead fans favorite record. By all means, tell us what you like and why without assuming what we'll love or hate.
See now this is interesting. You keep using bands like U2 and Radiohead as examples, and it's humourous. You just don't get it. Those aforementioned bands write "conventional" rock and and pop songs for the most part. Scott Walker does not. (Radiohead can write some half-way challenging and experimental music, but U2 doesn't-they tried with Pop, my favorite, but haven't gone there since.) There was a time Scott did, but all of that was slowly vaporized, beginning in 1978 when he wrote 4 little known songs on an album called "Nite Flights" with The Walker Brothers. Songs like "The Electrician" and "The Shut Out" were post-rock before post rock was invented. Then came the minimalist drone of 84's "Climate of Hunter", followed 11 years later by the tragic "Tilt", and now after another 11 years, the horriffic nightmare of "The Drift"

And of course Pitchfork loved it.....they put "Tilt" in their top 100 albums of the 90's. They know good music. Unlike many of he boring and predictable "smart" fans that have replied this thread. For those that have checked him out, because you're looking to be challenged for a change, I praise you!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #52
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:48 AM
ooh i adore scott walker!!
cannot wait to hear the new cd

Old 05-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

So I bought Tilt 6-8 years ago or something like that. Walker is, musically, very good, but am I the only one that has this

image in their head when he sings?

I probably just don't get it.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth

You just don't get it.

And of course Pitchfork loved it.....they put "Tilt" in their top 100 albums of the 90's. They know good music. Unlike many of he boring and predictable "smart" fans that have replied this thread. For those that have checked him out, because you're looking to be challenged for a change, I praise you!
Let's all bow down to the almighty and all knowing of good music; Pitchfork and LastEdgeOnEarth.

For they are the only ones that get it.

I hope you realize you single handedly turned off this whole board from Walker with your pretentious attitude.

I hope you "get" that.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

mr. brau, now that we have an ACTUAL pretentious asshole in our midst, where the hell are you???
Old 05-28-2006, 07:42 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Quote:

See now this is interesting. You keep using bands like U2 and Radiohead as examples, and it's humourous.

And of course Pitchfork loved it.....they put "Tilt" in their top 100 albums of the 90's. They know good music. Unlike many of he boring and predictable "smart" fans that have replied this thread.
Yes, poor dumb me. Scott Walker squeaked in at #92 while Ok Computer landed at #1. I must also not get how to interpret these complicated lists either.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #57
Refugee

Local Time: 07:48 PM
we is folks, hitman.

who says folks anymore?

what kind of a mad man uses the word folks?

:toilet:
Old 05-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #58
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Yes, poor dumb me. Scott Walker squeaked in at #92 while Ok Computer landed at #1. I must also not get how to interpret these complicated lists either.

Comparing Radiohead to Scott Walker(even though they are fans of each other)is like comparing "Empty Nest" to "Twin Peaks".
The only thing "joyful" about you squirt, is that the kids on the playground used to call you "Large Marge"!
Old 05-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

This thread is like looking at tabloid magazines. You know you shouldn't bother with them because the content is utter crap. But then you end up opening the rag mag in the checkout aisle anyway.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Comparing Radiohead to Scott Walker(even though they are fans of each other)is like comparing "Empty Nest" to "Twin Peaks".
The only thing "joyful" about you squirt, is that the kids on the playground used to call you "Large Marge"!
hey, you know what?

we're ALL sorry that you came back.

maybe you should go back to sticking your head up scott walker's ass and get the fuck out.