Scott Walker's(U2 adores him) new album - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
PS: Referring to singers as being touched by god is never a good idea either.
Unless it's Bono of course.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:25 AM
U2 will praise just about anyone. They are fans of some really great artists, but other times their taste leaves something to be desired. I think that's why some of us are skeptical when U2 liking an artist is cited as a reason for them being any good. C'mon, Bono praised Mariah Carey and Gwen Stefani at the Grammys!

Old 05-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
U2 will praise just about anyone. They are fans of some really great artists, but other times their taste leaves something to be desired. I think that's why some of us are skeptical when U2 liking an artist is cited as a reason for them being any good. C'mon, Bono praised Mariah Carey and Gwen Stefani at the Grammys!
I think they often praise the artist because they know and like the person. I don't see this as a negative--just that they're generous; they know their opinion is powerful and they're supportive of other artists in general. But you're right, I'm on to this, as are many fans, and generally take their musical recommendations with a grain of salt.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:54 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I think they often praise the artist because they know and like the person. I don't see this as a negative--just that they're generous; they know their opinion is powerful and they're supportive of other artists in general. But you're right, I'm on to this, as are many fans, and generally take their musical recommendations with a grain of salt.
I agree. I'd rather have U2 be generous and praise other artists, even ones I think are kind of crappy, than diss them publicly and look like jerks. That doesn't mean I'm going to agree with their assessment, however.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:14 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Unless it's Bono of course.
Oh, of course. Bono is Christ Incarnate!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth
I see Thom Yorke is your pic thingy....yeah Radiohead adores Scott MORE THAN ANYTHING OR ANYONE ELSE ON EARTH(cept for me maybe) and there also Scott walker favorite band in return.

this thread is terrifying.

I think you need to join a Scott Walker forum.

but, uh, I'll check him out some time??
Old 05-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
C'mon, Bono praised Mariah Carey and Gwen Stefani at the Grammys!
Take a look back, Bono praised Carey's voice but never her music.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Coming back here was a mistake...

or at least mentioning music other than U2 was.

Forgive my transgressions.
Where the hell does this come from? Because no one came in here and bowed down like you do?

This forum is full of 100s of other artist that aren't U2, so your "other than U2" line is uncalled for.

That being said, I've given Scott a chance and just can't get past his voice, it irritates me.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

LastEdgeOnEarth -- a little advice for ya:

Obviously you really like this guy's music and for you, he is the ultimate cat's whiskers. However, if you want anyone to take you seriously when you talk about him, you need to be enthusiastic, but not sickeningly enthusiastic. Over-hyping a band or musician is one of the fastest ways to turn off potential fans. Trust me on that.

I recently read a fan's album review for a band I adore more than any other band. I love the album which was reviewed too. However, the review was so completely over the top it made me gag. There is no way in hell I would point potential fans to that review -- it's so overzealous that it's a turn off. And to be very blunt, your posts here on Scott Walker made that review look tame.

Realise that not everyone will like or "get" the same music, but some might. Don't try to get everyone...you post info about an artist you like on this forum and you might get a few people to check him out. Of those, one or two might become fans. That's actually not bad. Just because not everyone will "get" it is no reason not to post.

Last point -- when someone tells you he/she likes one of the artist's songs, do not tell him/her it's a horrible choice (especially not five times in all caps ). Liking a song by an artist you like and are promoting is a good thing. Don't knock it, work with it!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, I was totally going to check out this guy until you completely flipped out. Now I won't even consider it. I can't imagine an artist who attracts fans like this. Good going LastEdgeOnEarth, you just turned off a potential fan. I'm sure Jesu...uh, I mean Scott Walker appreciates that.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Wow, I was totally going to check out this guy until you completely flipped out. Now I won't even consider it. I can't imagine an artist who attracts fans like this. Good going LastEdgeOnEarth, you just turned off a potential fan. I'm sure Jesu...uh, I mean Scott Walker appreciates that.
I wouldn't go that far. It means you just did the same thing -- over-reacting to someone else.

If you think you might like the guy, check him out. After all you don't need to love all his fans.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
thanks for clarifying that u2 adores him... no way i'd ever check out a band otherwise.
Hahahahaha!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Sometimes, myself and other Scott Walker fans like to keep his music to ourselves, because sometimes, no matter how much good word-of-mouth you spread, there are people who will just never get it. None of my friends do.

I had Christina Aguillera fan tell me the same thing the other day.

LastEdgeOnEarth are you Katie? If so, you left your pink toe sox at my sisters house.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:25 PM
I've heard a bit of Scott Walker and it's actually pretty good stuff.

Pity if you miss out.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #30
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Hate to tell ya, but the joke's on you....Scott Walker doesn't care.

I need to clarify a few things. I never JUMPED all over anybody or flipped out. I may get a little carried away with ENTHUSIASM but thats all. Your favorites do that at times to all of you folks as well I'm sure. So sorry for getting excited....when the one dude said he heard one of the new album, it sounded like it was the first he ever heard of him which scared me.I saw all these replies from people who never heard of him, when I was expecting everyone to say "sweet, been waiting for this!". Thats why I regretted posting this, because I saw where this thread was headed fast, And I was right. Maybe I didn't help it much though, so let me start again....

I don't what you folks listen too outside of U2 maybe, but if you're not familiar with Walker and delved right into this album, you would for all intents and purposes HATE IT. I assumed there were more people at this forum familiar with Walker, based on the fact that U2 have been fans of his since the early 80's. This thread was meant for Scott Walker enthusiasts or at least people who know his later, avant-garde stuff. But if you're curious and enjoy taking chances on new music, then let me try to help you.

If you really are interested in his new album, then please listen to his 1995 album "Tilt" first. It's the only way you'll be able to even begin appreciating the new album. This is truly music from another galaxy. The words, the melodies(if you can find any), the soundscapes, the production. It's like a real bad nightmare, at least that's how Walker describes it). One you might not want to go near again if you don't listen to some stuff off "Tilt" first.

If you have never listened to any music outside of three chords and the big hook, then go away and come back when you have. If you think because you listen to "Coldplay" and "Keane" or "Mogwai" or "The Arcade Fire" that you are ready for anything, think again. Because you woudn't be ready for Scott Walker.

Start with Tilt