School units cost is sky rocketing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
The units for my college classes are going up next year from $11 to $18. Get this anyone who already registered for Fall Semester under the $11/unit cost, is going to be sent a bill for the $7 increase that we have to pay!!!:huh: Tell me just where are poor college students like me supposed to get the money for that??

:shrug:

Well, here in California one party suggested cutting kindergarden out for some children because of our budget shortfall.

Well, when you have a nation that wants services, but doesn't want to pay for them, look what you get? It's clear that our priorities are tied up in tax cuts and military spending. Expect this situation to get worse.

Melon

I attend a SUNY school (State University of New York) and the state assembly and senate voted for a $950 tuition increase for all 4 year schools. This state is being run into the ground. :der: :no: My tuition went from $3400 to $4,350 (NYS residents).

senrab said:
I attend a SUNY school (State University of New York) and the state assembly and senate voted for a $950 tuition increase for all 4 year schools. This state is being run into the ground. :der: :no: My tuition went from $3400 to $4,350 (NYS residents).

That sucks, senrab! I know the feeling though. Since my freshman year, which was 2 years ago, my tuition has increased 37.5 percent. :mad:

Over here the average degree costs around $12,000 - $15,000 AUD, more for things like medicine, dental, veterinary etc but give or take. And there is a scheme available called HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme) where you just pay your union fee's upfront and whatever else beyond the tuition and then you have up to 7 years to pay it off, when the debt is cancelled if you do not make enough income to pay it completely by the time those years are passed. Repayments start once you earn over a certain amount and only work out about 7% or something of your income and the interest on it is only a minimum amount as well, MUCH smaller than a personal loan or other such method. With the numbers of students wishing to go on to further their education, something like that should surely work in America. Its expensive for the govt initially, but after time it encourages more people to go on once they've finsished school and in time you've got a more educated qualified workforce. Everyone wins. Of course, eventually people begin whinging again about fees, but they're always going to increase regardless. Education has to be accessible. No 2 ways about it.

Angela Harlem said:
Education has to be accessible.

But that means that Republicans can't wage their class war against the working class! If everyone is educated, who will do all the jobs that they have spent decades demeaning? The horror!

Melon

while college is expensive, there are options.

scholarships: i could have got one cos i'm tall. seriously, there's a scholarship for everyone.

school choice: private v. public universities. it's why i pay less than $10,000/year (including books and housing) and my best friend pays $28,000/year for school.

i'm not saying that these costs are CHEAP by any means...but there are ways to alleviate costs.

i don't even want to go there with the budget cuts at UMASS. so far romney's idea to cut the commonwealth honors college has been vetoed...but it's a fucking mess there.

raising it by $7?!?! where do you go to school? it costs more to go see a movie!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom