Scarlett Johansson - Anywhere I Lay My Head - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:03 AM

Originally posted by lazarus
Scarlett gets major points for even WANTING to do an album of Tom Waits covers, and bonus points for getting David FUCKING Bowie to contribute guest vocals.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Bonochick
I've heard a couple of Minnie Driver's songs that I really like.
I'd forgotten about that! I ended up with a promo copy of that from somewhere, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

I downloaded a leak of the Zooey Deschanel/M. Ward combo, and while I've only listened to one song so far, I really like what I've heard. If the rest of it is as good, I'll definitely be buying it.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Scarlett's got a great voice! I love the soul/blues/jazz vibe. "Summertime" is not a song that many people can pull off, but she did it, and I like it.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
That's good. I really can't hear that it is like her speaking voice at all other than a slight bit
Old 03-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #20
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:03 PM
There are some really poorly recorded videos of her singing backing vocals to 'Just Like Honey' with the Jesus & Mary Chain live a year or two ago...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 12:03 AM
not convinced, but i suppose in her defense no one can really do a proper tom waits' cover or maybe i'm too biased cause i love tom waits apart from his genius lyrics his voice is obviously part opf the charm. even springsteen's rendition of 'jersey girl' i found to be atrocious and I'm a huge springsteen fan.
just like some people won't like it , some will, i guess that's what counts.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
She's calling her debut album Anywhere I Lay My Head – and it looks like Scarlett Johansson is taking a literal approach to her album art. Due May 20, the album features covers of alternative troubadour Tom Waits's music, plus one original composition. Johansson was joined in the studio by David Bowie, who lends guest vocals on "Falling Down" and "Fannin Street." Produced by TV on the Radio's David Sitek, the album marks the actress's recording debut. And Sitek does double duty. A label rep confirms he snapped the cover photo, taken in Louisiana, where they recorded the disc.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
Has anyone heard it?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Scarlett Johansson's latest film work may be getting the red carpet treatment at Cannes, but her debut album, released on Tuesday, is drawing fire from music critics.

"Anywhere I Lay My Head," a collection of Tom Waits songs recorded by the star of such films as "Match Point," "Lost in Translation" and "Girl with a Pearl Earring," has been described by the actress as "an intimate experience."

But numerous reviews of the album complained that Johansson's vocals end up lost in the lush arrangements of producer David Andrew Sitek, the guitarist and keyboardist for the indie rock band TV on the Radio.

For some critics, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

"Johansson's voice is unremarkable and her pitch sometimes unsteady; she's a faintly goth Marilyn Manson lost in a sonic fog," wrote Rolling Stone magazine, which gave her a lukewarm 2.5 stars out of five.

Britain's Mojo magazine called the recordings "fussy and forgettable," adding that the decision to begin the album with an instrumental was hardly a vote of confidence in Johansson's vocal abilities.

The disc received a middling "C" grade from Entertainment Weekly magazine, which wrote that her "expressionless voice" was buried "deeply in the druggy ambiance."

And the Washington Post said it was possible to listen to all 40-plus minutes of Johansson's album and "still have no earthly idea what she sounds like."

"The album is ultimately too ethereal for its own good," the Post said. "Every song is like every other song, even the ones that sound different."

The Rhino Records album consists of 11 tracks, all covers of Waits songs except for one original piece co-written by Johansson and Sitek. Two cuts feature David Bowie on backing vocals. The video for the first single, "Falling Down," was directed by Oscar-nominated "Capote" filmmaker Bennett Miller.

Johansson's latest film, Woody Allen's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona," premiered at the Cannes film festival in France on Saturday. The 23-year-old actress, who did not attend the festival, plays a lovelorn American tourist in Spain.

"Anywhere I Lay My Head" is not Johansson's very first musical effort. She performed the George Gershwin standard "Summertime" on a 2006 charity album, "Unexpected Dreams: Songs from the Stars."

She later sang live with the band Jesus and Mary Chain at the Coachella Music Festival in California.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Actually Milla released an album in 94(The Divine Comedy) that received some good critical acclaim, and had a single 'Gentlemen Who Fell' that was actually pretty good. Much better than her singing on the MDH.
I'm just butting in here to say ditto to Milla's Divine Comedy. "Reaching From Nowhere" is on my Top 25 on my i-pod.

As for Scarlett, I'm waiting to here some songs to make a judgement. I get the feeling that it won't be a good CD, for some reason.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #25
you are what you is
Local Time: 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Produced by TV on the Radio's David Sitek, [/IMG]
this is why I do want to hear it
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 05-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 01:03 AM
Big surprise that the critics came out guns blazing on this one.

I like it, and I still think her one original track is one of the best things on here.

She's not Kelly Osbourne, people are being way too harsh.

scarlett johansson, tom waits