Scarlet's Walk: New Tori Amos album - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2002, 02:17 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Re: Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk Review

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Freedman
I may feel differently one day, as it continues to grow on me, and remain on my CD player for a long time (alongside the "instant classic" new Coldplay). And it's my second favorite album of 2002 (behind Coldplay).
I still have not made it through the whole Tori album, and that's mostly becaue I cannot seem to get Coldplay out of the CD player. It's brilliant!

Coldplay

Old 10-31-2002, 04:27 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Mark > somehow I missed your excellent review until now. I agree with it almost verbatim. We even like and dislike (or, like less, rather) the same songs with the exception of "Your Cloud" which a lot of people seem to love but...I don't know... it's a little too adult-contemporary-rock for my tastes (but maybe it'll grow on me). And for me Pele will always be her masterpiece. But otherwise, I'm amazed at how much I concur with your review.

(Wish I could get into Coldplay but I still haven't heard anything by them that doesn't annoy me. Oh well. Can't like everything I guess.)

Old 10-31-2002, 04:44 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

Well if you like Little Earthquakes.... you should definately listen to her other stuff....try Under The Pink, To Venus and Back, and From The Choirgirl Hotel....I don't know of a site offhand that has mp3's (her label Sony are real pains about mp3's) Definately do a search on Kazaa and see if you like her other stuff.
Oh yeah, I've heard a lot of her other stuff, because my former flatemates were all Tori fans. But I should definitely buy the cds this time. I actually saw her live last year.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:48 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My co-worker Julie and Mark Freedman seem to be on the same page as far as favorites songs go, but I think I'm on the opposite track. Perhaps this is because some of my favorite Tori stuff is the weird, the industrial, and the 10-minute-long Datura type stuff. Here are my favorites so far:

#1---Crazy (best lyric on the album--see new sig)

Others--I can't see New York, another's girl's paradise, gold dust, and perhaps Carbon.

I'm with joyfulgirl on this one--Pele is still reigning supreme in my book. This album at first glance is all the same speed. I just need more time with it, and I'll start off with the above songs.

Other comments: your cloud sounds like a song from the 70s. I picture Tori looking dead into the camera on American Bandstand and singing into one of those really skinny microphones.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:55 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
Perhaps this is because some of my favorite Tori stuff is the weird, the industrial, and the 10-minute-long Datura type stuff.
Me, too! Blood Roses, Professional Widow, Datura, iiiee....love all that stuff.

Quote:
Other comments: your cloud sounds like a song from the 70s. I picture Tori looking dead into the camera on American Bandstand and singing into one of those really skinny microphones.

HG, I can't believe you're saying this--I had a moment yesterday in the car where I pictured the Carpenters singing Your Cloud!

And I LOVE Crazy and Another Girl's Paradise. Those were turning points on SW for me because it was the first time I hit replay to hear a song again.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:24 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Me, too! Blood Roses, Professional Widow, Datura, iiiee....love all that stuff.

HG, I can't believe you're saying this--I had a moment yesterday in the car where I pictured the Carpenters singing Your Cloud!

And I LOVE Crazy and Another Girl's Paradise. Those were turning points on SW for me because it was the first time I hit replay to hear a song again.
HG and JG = separated at birth! Except for maybe the Coldplay thing...

Seriously, sounds like we're both reacting the same to SW. I think I need more time with it.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:46 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Local Time: 08:32 AM
now that I've listened to it a gizillion times

Okay...Wednesday really reminds me of The Wrong Band, it has that same quirky feel with deep undertone.

I can't really say how it ranks yet, it's still too new...it's really reminisent of Little Earthquakes...It's hard for me to even rank her albums...One day it's Under the Pink, another it's Choirgirl...it all depends on my mood.

Crazy definately gave me big chills the first time I heard it....and I usually need to hear a song several times to get familiar with it and "feel" it.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:07 PM   #68
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl

I'm with joyfulgirl on this one--Pele is still reigning supreme in my book.
How could you not love "the harpsichord album"? Pele proves more than any of Tori's other work that she really, really is a genius. Although, I must admit, I like a few of the remixes from Pele better than the album versions (like the Dakota version of "Hey Jupiter" and the Tornado Mix of "Talula").

"Putting the Damage On" still makes me a little weepy. So does "Twinkle." And "Blood Roses" and "Professional Widow" still scare me a little bit.

Here's a question: what is the saddest song on Pele? "Doughnut Song," "Marianne," "Hey Jupiter," "Not the Red Baron," "Putting the Damage On" and "Twinkle" are all strong contenders. Which is the most depressing?

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:26 PM   #69
War Child

Tori Amos is definitely one of those artists who you look back upon and realize how classic her albums are. At the time some of them came out, I wasn't so sure, but I've been ripping her CDs lately, revisiting them, when it hit me.

I drove my wife through the local park today for a fall photo-ops, and I sat in the car listening to all of SW while she went out to shoot, and the mood fit the quiet of the park perfectly. It was great (and she thinks she got some great shots).
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 10-31-2002, 09:33 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie

1. My boyfriend got us tix to see Tori next month

2. Maybe this album will grow on me. Nothing has really succeeded in grabbing my full attention so I can like it better than any other of her CDs......but I always need time for her to sink in. We'll see. There are some really excellent lines in some songs though. For the most part the writing is great as usual. I still need to be able to tell the songs apart though.....I'ma listen to it again now.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:55 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox
1. My boyfriend got us tix to see Tori next month

2. Maybe this album will grow on me. Nothing has really succeeded in grabbing my full attention so I can like it better than any other of her CDs......but I always need time for her to sink in. We'll see. There are some really excellent lines in some songs though. For the most part the writing is great as usual. I still need to be able to tell the songs apart though.....I'ma listen to it again now.
Cool--where will you be seeing her? Have you seen her before live? I can't wait for the Denver show.

This record is really a sleeper--I couldn't tell the songs apart either at first but now they're getting under my skin (in a good way) and I can't stop listening to it. Even though I love her crazy weird stuff, in some ways I think SW could be her most accomplished record. The music and string arrangements are so rich. But I really like all her different phases just as I love all of U2's phases. I guess that's what makes them my two favorite artists (duh).
Old 11-01-2002, 11:04 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

How could you not love "the harpsichord album"? Pele proves more than any of Tori's other work that she really, really is a genius. Although, I must admit, I like a few of the remixes from Pele better than the album versions (like the Dakota version of "Hey Jupiter" and the Tornado Mix of "Talula").

"Putting the Damage On" still makes me a little weepy. So does "Twinkle." And "Blood Roses" and "Professional Widow" still scare me a little bit.

Here's a question: what is the saddest song on Pele? "Doughnut Song," "Marianne," "Hey Jupiter," "Not the Red Baron," "Putting the Damage On" and "Twinkle" are all strong contenders. Which is the most depressing?
I agree about Pele. It makes me laugh, cry and squeal with delight. Did you know that the Tornado Mix of "Talula" is now (and has been for a few years) the version you get when you buy Pele? I think she regretted it wasn't on there to begin with. Some people haven't even heard the original. But the Tornado Mix was always my favorite, too.

Saddest song...I'd have to go with "Putting the Damage On" and "Hey Jupiter." "Marianne" is sad but it seems to be addressing something more from the past, a memory, while "Damage" and "Jupiter" seem to have a more urgent emotional sadness to it (relating directly to what she was going through when she was writing Pele). "Doughnut Song" seems more angry than sad, and "Red Baron" and "Twinkle" are just mellow and contemplative to me though not necessarily born from pain and sadness.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:27 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

I'd vote for Hey Jupiter. It's so poignant and beautiful, hopeful and despairing. A girl I know absolutely bawled through the whole song when we saw her in OKC on the Dew Drop Inn tour. It still gives me chills to hear it.

Looking back at Pele, it's so wonderful. Doughnut Song is still my #1 Tori song of all time. I'll never forget hearing it live.

SW is starting to grow on me. The songs are definitely beginning to take their own shapes. I agree that Tori's metamorphoses have been just as interesting as U2's. If either artist were always the same, it wouldn't be any fun. To quote Simon and Garfunkel, "After changes upon changes we are more or less the same." Tori and U2 change, but they've still got that innate essence that makes a U2 song a U2 song and a Tori song a Tori song.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:45 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Hey Jupiter is definately one of the saddest songs on Pele....it's been a while since I listened to it...perhaps I'll put it on again...once I need a break from SW (which may not be happening anytime soon). Also "Caught a Lite Sneeze," while an upbeat tune, lyrically, it's full of desperation and loneliness.

And oh yeah.... I got confirmation that my limited edition is being shipped today
Old 11-05-2002, 01:08 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

not ready for this thread to die

Okay, it's official. I am in love with Scarlet's Walk.

Favorite songs (in no particular order):

a sorta fairytale
strange
Carbon
Crazy
I can't see New York
another girl's paradise
Scarlet's Walk

I like every song and yet these are the ones I'm beginning to skip over so I guess they're my least favorites:

Amber Waves
Sweet Sangria
your cloud
pancake

We'll see how it competes in my CD player with the U2 best of later today.