Scarlet's Walk: New Tori Amos album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and "Wednesday" from the new album is great -- very "Little Earthquakish" period. As a matter of fact, I've heard about 5 songs from the new album and it sounds absolutely AWESOME!!! There is a lot of buzz that this is her best album since LE. It's been said that this is her "masterpiece". Can't wait.

Okay Toriphiles, do we like the new record? My sweet friend who's road-tripping to Denver with me to see Tori in December just bought Scarlet's Walk for me and brought it to me at the office. So I have it here but haven't listened to it yet. But she looks mighty purdy. :) And she's on Letterman tonight.

My boyfriend took me to Best Buy right when it opened this morning so I could get the limited edition Scarlet's Walk :tongue: He's so sweet.

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it now! I put it on now!

daisybean said:
I just picked it up....:cute:

Edited to add...

Heartland Girl, get it, get it, get it!

I know what's gonna be in my CD player for the next few months

:dance:

Don't worry, my coworker came in this morning. At first she bought the regular CD, then she saw the limited edition goodie box and bought it too. She said they were selling out fast (some places are already out of it here in Norman--Tori has a lot of fans here) so I called and reserved a copy.

Just went and picked it up. It's sitting in my lap, still unopened.

*savors the moment*

So yeah, I already bought it! :hyper: Wait til payday! Who was I kidding? :combust:

I've listened to it 4 times now (twice this morning, thanks to a 60 minute drive to and from the dentist) and I am falling in love with it. Last night I wasn't so sure ... while it's very beautiful, melodic and mellow, and not a bad song on it, nothing was jumping out and grabbing me. It almost sounded like one long 74 minute song. I liked everything, but didn't love anything--didn't have those moments where I needed to keep playing something over and over. But today I'm really getting into it. I think it lacks the intensity and edginess of previous stuff, but it's also just so lovely and solid and lyrically very strong. I think I'm gonna end up loving it and, like daisybean, it's going to stay in my CD player for a long time.

My friend bought me the regular copy and then I ran over to pick up the Limited Edition, obsessive fan that I am. So now I have one for home and one for the car. :D

The record store only had one copy of the regular version...no limited version at all :mad: .... Yeah Tori's not big up here :madspit:

I'm considering ordering the limited version :combust:

She was on Regis and Kelly this morning...but I didn't get to the vcr quick enough to record it.

joyfulgirl said:

You were just plain deluded, silly woman! :lol:

Indeed I was!

HeartlandGirl = :coocoo:

Did anyone see Tori on Letterman last night? The song sounded beautiful and Tori looked great, kind of like Stevie Nicks in technicolor.

HeartlandGirl said:

Did anyone see Tori on Letterman last night? The song sounded beautiful and Tori looked great, kind of like Stevie Nicks in technicolor.

I fell asleep on the couch while waiting for it to come on. :scream:

What did she sing? What was she wearing? Band or solo? Did she get couch time with Dave? Did he faun all over her like he usually does? :hyper:

Ok, I just went over to The Dent to see what the Toriphiles over there thought of the Letterman performance (because they are always hilarious over there, in a PLEBA kind of way). Here are some of the comments (they're brutal but funny):

"truly thought you were going to reference that gigantic dead animal that was on top of Tori's head...that is one monsterous weave...jesus..."

"anyone else think that she was not in top form...and can we get anymore 'stevie' looking...where was the glam squad, on vacation??"

"i think the technicolor dreamcoat people need their prop back.."

"That was the most confusing dress I have ever seen."

"my question. did a 12 year old do her make up?"

"Maybe Kevyn's passing is an excuse for the make-up. But one that deserves no excuse is the Hat design by Davy Crockett. Is it a fox???"

"My first thought was she looked like Shirley MacClaine!"

"I really can't comment on the actual performance because my roommate and I were so aghast at that THING she was wearing. My God, it looked like the rainbow threw up on her! And her hair...jesus christ! She must be letting Tash do her makeup these days."

"It's way better than the monster shoulder pads pantsuit from the last tour. Oy vey!"

"Gah, last night's performance was... well, it didn't look like she was feeling well. I hope everything is ok for her!"

"Her clothes rock. Her hair rocks. Her makeup rocks."

"My thought was "Maude on acid".

"Her hair was better this morning but still recovering...I mean my god."

and now for the pictures...

I'm starting to see what all the fuss was about...not her best look.

letterman11.jpg

letterman19.jpg

letterman12.jpg

daisybean said:
I love the Dent....but sometimes they scare me :uhoh:

:yes: They scare me, too. But so does PLEBA. I only check in with The Dent when there's a new record and tour.

*knows nothing about The Dent*

As I'm sure you've figured out, she played "A Sorta Fairytale" with a small backing band.

:lmao: at those comments. I can't believe other people used the words "Stevie" and "technicolor" too! Still, it wasn't that bad. Her hair was pretty weird, though. :huh:

dizzy said:
I've been telling myself to I'd buy her other cds. Until now, I only have "Little Earthquakes". :uhoh:

Well if you like Little Earthquakes.... you should definately listen to her other stuff....try Under The Pink, To Venus and Back, and From The Choirgirl Hotel....I don't know of a site offhand that has mp3's (her label Sony are real pains about mp3's) Definately do a search on Kazaa and see if you like her other stuff.

Don't forget "Boys for Pele" :heart:

My all-time favorite record next to "Achtung Baby."

HeartlandGirl said:
"Pele" is my favorite of Tori's as well. A true classic.

A lot of the hardcore Pele fans over at The Dent (which is the Interference of the Tori community http://www.atforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=93 ) think that Scarlet's Walk ranks up there with Pele. I don't really see the comparison yet but it's interesting that so many fans feel this way. :shrug: So I'll be curious to see what you think after you've had some time with it.

I (finally) picked up Scarlet's Walk today, and I must say that I'm impressed. First of all, I got the limited edition which has the best goodie package I've ever seen: a little tour-bus charm, stickers, photos, a DVD, an interview CD, and a whole bunch of Tori photos. I had fun before I even got to the music.

That said, I think it's her best since Boys for Pele--which I still think I like better, but I think it might bring back some old fans who miss the girl-and-piano days of Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink. It actually reminds me MUCH more of Under the Pink than Boys for Pele; here I'm thinking of the earlier rockin' Tori tunes like "Cornflake Girl" and "Space Dog."

So far, my fave tracks are "A Sorta Fairytale" and "Taxi Ride." :)

A good buy, even at $17.95 ::wallet says ouch::

You got a tour-bus charm? My co-worker and I both got frogs. Hers was green and pink, mine was gray with red and yellow spots. :hmm:

What did everyone else get?

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk Review

A lot has already been said about how Scarlet's Walk was inspired by the events of 9/11, so I won't get into that here. Also, a lot has been said about the delivery method of this CD to reviewers. Do NOT get me started on THAT! What I will talk about is the music.

SW is Tori's most consistent work since her debut, which, for me, still ranks as one of the top 10 albums of all time. It took awhile for that to grow on me, and in a sense, I can tell that this will prove the same. At that time, I may swing to 4.5 stars. But for now, it stands at 4 stars -- excellent, but not quite the "masterpiece" label some reviewers gave to it. Nothing is really groundbreaking, and most of it contains excellent examples of some of her strength, but LE is definitely more diverse (although the opportunity is there with a whopping 18 songs). Yes, there is definitely more instrumental diversity, which I think is a good thing. Piano is often prominent, but I do like the increased orchestration.

At her best, Tori can envelope a single, beautiful thread into an atmospheric emotional ride. At her worst, her songs can meander quite a bit, never really taking off. For the most part, she avoids the latter here. One thing I don't miss with this album is the NIN direction she has taken with some recent releases. Too much Trent Reznor influence for my taste.

Although the packaging is interesting, I'm not very happy about the omission of lyrics. But with the Internet, that is not such an issue these days. I have not yet visited the special site (sorry ;), so maybe they're available through that link. Otherwise, several sites already have the lyrics. The DVD is interesting, but doesn't add too much, IMO.

Let's go track by track. Please bear with me; my reviews are rarely this detailed, and I'm not too eloquent with my musical vocabulary. This may be my longest review yet:

1) Amber Waves (9) - classic Tori. This will definitely strike a nerve in long time fans, sounding familiar, yet fresh. Trademark track.

2) a sorta fairytale (9) - (Maybe I just don't get it, but it appears the lack of use in proper capitalization in some titles is intentional.) Perfect choice for the first single. Immediately accessible, and will please both long time fans and new listeners. Great hooks and a cool, breezy mood.

3) Wednesday (9) - absolutely LE material here, in the image of "Happy Phantom". Definitely one of the album highlights. Short and bouncy.

4) strange (7) - Far from strange, and not very special. Nice tune, though.

5) Carbon (8) - The highlight of this song are the layered harmonies, which definitely add an atmospheric level to an otherwise unremarkable tune.

6) Crazy (8.5) - Beautiful song - one of my favorites.

7) wampum prayer (8) - A very pretty short prayer in acapella.

8) don't make me come to Vegas (6.5) - More tuneful than "God", and reminds me a bit of that song, but I never liked it, and this song doesn't do too much for me, either. But I do like it better each time I hear it. I know that many people will love it. That's one thing I can guarantee about a Tori Amos album. Many people will love it for different reasons.

9) Sweet Sangria (6.5) - I'm still trying to catch a ride on this thread, but I still can't grasp it. Not bad, though.

10) your cloud (9) - This song has really grown on me with repeated listening. Once it hooked me, though, it will never let go. Gorgeous. Reminds me a bit of Cocteau Twins for some reason.

11) pancake (7) - Very "Under The Pink". To me, it meanders a bit too much. Not bad, though.

12) I can't see New York (8) - Although it takes a bit to build up, this is a beautiful song. And although it's the longest track on the album, it's over before you know it. It reminds me at times of "Precious Things".

13) mrs. jesus (7) - Another one of those "growers". I was bored with this earlier today, and I'm liking it now. Maybe I'm just getting it now. The way this album's growing, it may make it to 4.5 stars by the time I get to the end of this review ;)

14) Taxi Ride (10) - Currently, my favorite song. This is definitely one of those sweetly wrapped threads :) Reminds me of the style of "Tear In Your Hand". Carries me away. Over way too fast. I can listen to this 100 times in a row and not tire of it.

15) another girl's paradise (8) - This song has more "attitude" than any other on the album.

16) Scarlet's Walk (8.5) - I first heard a live version of this song, and to be honest, it annoyed me a bit. I like the studio version a lot better. I really like the guitar on this one.

17) Virginia (7.5) - The vocal play on this is the most interesting thing about this song.

18) gold dust (7.5) - An example of a song that I feel meanders a bit much. Well, I felt that way more at first. I like it a lot more now. It's very pretty, and melancholy. It's the perfect album closer.

Overall, Scarlet's Walk is an excellent album, with some of the most beautiful songs Tori has ever written. My ratings would probably change daily. It's not as daring as her earlier work, but it does not deserve any of the negative reviews I've read. I have always thought some critics trash her work just because she's different, can be intimidating, and at times appears self-centered. That is unfair. Anyone who goes out on a limb and exposes themselves through their art can appear somewhat self-centered. Although this isn't her "masterpiece" (LE still is, IMO), it is great, and well worth it, and may be her second best album. I may feel differently one day, as it continues to grow on me, and remain on my CD player for a long time (alongside the "instant classic" new Coldplay). And it's my second favorite album of 2002 (behind Coldplay).

Last edited:
Okay That's it...I'm ordering the limited edition....

I got just the regular version, because the record stores around here think the only female artist on the planet is Faith Hill (not that she's bad or anything). :mad:

I'm really liking Carbon and Your Cloud

HeartlandGirl said:
You got a tour-bus charm? My co-worker and I both got frogs. Hers was green and pink, mine was gray with red and yellow spots. :hmm:

What did everyone else get?

I got a snake. :shrug:

I agree with you paxetaurora--it reminds me more of Under the Pink than Pele. I don't know why people over on the Tori forum keep making the Pele comparison. I like Taxi Ride, too, and the title song. I like it all, actually. I kind of wish it had more diverse tempos instead of just being all mellow, but it's a small complaint. It's a lovely record.

joyfulgirl said:

I got a snake. :shrug:

I agree with you paxetaurora--it reminds me more of Under the Pink than Pele. I don't know why people over on the Tori forum keep making the Pele comparison. I like Taxi Ride, too, and the title song. I like it all, actually. I kind of wish it had more diverse tempos instead of just being all mellow, but it's a small complaint. It's a lovely record.

GAH! I want a cool charm and stuff too. :mad: I have to wait though until I get a job or Christmas. Grrr.

I'm glad to hear so far that everyone digs it. :up: And yes, even though I don't have it yet, I changed my location. ;)

Back
Top Bottom